how bad/good is your car in the snow

Just drove my octy vrs estate in the snow it is terrible I had a mk1 leon previously which was great I managed to do lots of deliverys in that when it snowed travelled up many hills overtaking many stuck cars so I don't think its my driving

but I was driving on hagley road and no cars were going over 15mph

but when I was pulling off it just had no grip at all seemed to struggle lots no1 else seemed to be struggling as much as me. but there was a funny noise coming from the passenger side front wheel on my car which I haven't noticed before so may be a problem with the car?

whats everyones Octavia like

It's not the best but I attribute that to 225/45/17 summer tyres, however I haven't got stuck yet, despite like you, passing others who have, so driver ability has to be a significant factor.

How often do you see folks crawling up inclines, getting stuck due to lack of momentum.

Skidding due to inappropriate speed.

Foot to floor in attempt to gain traction.

Not being equipped with a tyre inflator, lowering tyre pressure to 50% or less in extreme conditions can offer traction-reinflate at soonest opportunity.

I've seen grown men sat for an hour waiting on breakdown services just to change a flat tyre, and I thought it was bad enough that most women do that... what ever happened to self sufficiency and initiative!

Edited by MicMac

Just dropped the wife of at the train station in a mixture of snow and ice and car was just brilliant.

The firsttime it snowed I couldn't get into my drive (the council won't drop the pavement). Fitted cold weather tyres, no slipping or sliding.

The first set of cold winter tyres I had were like for like so 225/45/17, current set are 205/55/16, both are Nokian.

As for people waiting for recovery due to flat tyre, it's possible they don't have a spare or they are not allowed to change the tyre. I was not allowed to change tyres on a works vehicle, we had to arrange it through the lease company.

Fin

Just dropped the wife of at the train station in a mixture of snow and ice and car was just brilliant.

The firsttime it snowed I couldn't get into my drive (the council won't drop the pavement). Fitted cold weather tyres, no slipping or sliding.

The first set of cold winter tyres I had were like for like so 225/45/17, current set are 205/55/16, both are Nokian.

As for people waiting for recovery due to flat tyre, it's possible they don't have a spare or they are not allowed to change the tyre. I was not allowed to change tyres on a works vehicle, we had to arrange it through the lease company.

Fin

I have a DSG octy and if its proper bad like a few years ago, steep inclines and drops were no issue at all, and even without having to crawl.

stick the thing in drive let the massive amount of torque created by the car at idle just pull you along no probs at all even on country lanes etc even with summer tyres.

But i did notice this morning that my Goodyear Efficent Grip Perfomance's are struggling when its cold (below 5deg) in the wet when going round roundabouts.

Well, this morning was an interesting drive to work! My vRS performed as well as the cars in front. I have Michelin Pilot PS3s on it.....so not designed for winter ,but the car was fine ,although I never did get above 40mph due to the flow of traffic. Also, the overtaking lane was just pure snow, hadn't been used......and no, I didn't fancy trying it. Perhaps if I'd had winter tyres I'd have considered it, but I'd rather get there late than not at all.....an just drive well within the limits the conditions present.

It's fine I've found. No worse than any other of my cars without winter tyres on.

I managed to climb a steep hill with thick snow. Just had to plant the throttle to keep the power going and get me up the hill. The TCS then just stopped the wheels spinning too much but I can't say it would have been any easier in any other car.

Another Brisky member was following me in his vRS and winter tyres... he had no problem!

but there was a funny noise coming from the passenger side front wheel on my car which I haven't noticed before so may be a problem with the car?

That noise could have been the electronic diff doing it's thing. It works by applying the brake on the wheel that's slipping to force more power to the other one.

Phil

I never got stuck in the VRS even on summer rubber which I put down to mostly luck since when the now came I was usually on new deep summer tyres. Also I don't drive much in town so no start stop driving which is what get you in trouble in snow. If I could keep moving I could keep moving if that makes sense. I got the VRS through two of the worse winters in 100yr with temps of -17C and 2' of snow.

This year in the Honda on pretty worn summer rubber I got stuck very quickly when I was forced to go up a steeper hill than I had intended.

No snow.....therefore no problem.

Haha. None here either. It snowed for about 10 minutes this morning leaving a very light blanket of snow... it's all gone now though.

There's not really any hills in York to worry about getting up even if it was snowing bad!

Edited by Phil-E

Q: "how bad/good is your car in the snow"

A: Outstandingly good!

5" of the white stuff in west Stirlingshire by close of play yesterday - the 4x4 plus Nokian WR D3 on each corner, AND, (unlike some others on the road), remembering to turn off the ESP prior to going up a steep hill meant no drama anywhere. :thumbup:

The Fabia also did well on its Vredestein Quatrac Lite All-season (winter rated) tyres, so choice of rubber is the key.

Mine is OK  on Barum summer tyres but not tried the deep/icy stuff . ESP works just fine in mine and recently drove in 5" of unpacked snow for an urgent Chinese kerry oot. Seems odd to plant the pedal right to the carpet (purely experimentally) and watch the electronics control the speed. From previous experience with a B5.5  Passat, the ESP/traction  control knows best- at least until it overheats and cuts out. I was ascending a long hill out of Bakewell many years ago and thought I could go faster switching the system off. I was wrong. But was on the OE Continentals at the time. Vredestein Quatrac were fitted later in its life and snow became something to look for.

Edited by gregoir

AND, (unlike some others on the road), remembering to turn off the ESP prior to going up a steep hill meant no drama anywhere. :thumbup:

Ha, yes that was me, I forgot.

Back ten years go and further, we had RWD cars, and I knew how to drive them but the OH hadn't quite got the hang of it.

One night she got home and said that she had left our 520i BMW halfway down a steepish hill half a mile from our house.

I recovered it by simply pulling away in 2nd gear and easing it up the hill.

I am confused by the fact that the people use summer tires in the winter!  :thumbdown:

And claims that no problems with them! :peek:

I live in the region in Germany where snow is a rarity, but no one would ride with summer tires. If only because of the summer tire already at + 5C ° no longer fulfills its functions.I think as the ultimate option is the all season tires.

I use Falken Euro All Season AS200 very happy so far,no problems with grip on our snowy roads and do great job on dry surface.

A few pics: 

20141227_103500.jpg

20141227_104139.jpg

IMG_20141227_WA0009.jpg

I am confused by the fact that the people use summer tires in the winter!  :thumbdown:

And claims that no problems with them! :peek:

I'm afraid the British are generally dis-believers.

It's partly to do with the "marketing" - I don't need "snow" tyres - there's no snow here!

Global warming - i'm all in favour - it's too cold here!

:notme:

• Like 1

I'm afraid the British are generally dis-believers.

It's partly to do with the "marketing" - I don't need "snow" tyres - there's no snow here!

Global warming - i'm all in favour - it's too cold here!

:notme:

As I mentioned- all season M+S ( mud+snow) can show great results at snow and in summer ;)  also for dis-believers! :notme: 

​I personally would not want to meet on the snowy road driving a dis-believer with summer tires!  :sweat:  

Protect yourself and God will do ;)

• Like 1

They think 'Winter Tyres' are for snow ..only!! LOL

:D  Yes,there is some true in that...Winter is for Winter  but why not to chose AllSeason, especially in country where rain and muddy-farmer roads are daily life?  :happy: