Boot 12v power socket not working.

crazyj

Hi,

My boot 12v socket is dead. Never used it before but it's dead now.

I bought a £5 map light to help me see when rummaging in my boot. Looks nice. Works well in front socket.

But

Plugged it into boot socket... Nowt.

Plugged in cheapo lighter voltmeter to boot socket... Nil volts

Got meter out... Nil volts.

Tried above with ignition off, ignition on first click then with engine running...still dead.

Fuse (position 26, fourth from bottom right hand column) fine. Admittedly didn't pull all of the others.

Yeti had a Thule removable tow bar with 13pin socket fitted when I got it. Seems to be quite professionally done.

Any thoughts guys? There isn't a daft switch I'm missing?

I don't want to go pulling out the lining etc if I can help it...but I guess looking the socket is a good first step? does the socket pop out from the inside or do I have to release a clip from behind the boot lining?

Cheers,

J

Edited by crazyj

I'd have said check the fuse, but you've already done it.

The towbar sounds suspicious to me. Do they pull power from the tail lights or from somewhere else, say a 12V outlet socket!?

Hmm. Could be.

I did note that she I bought it there was a loose lead near the battery with a horrid crimped connector on it. Think it might be supply to the tow connector unswitched pin. Didn't reconnect it but had a plan to check it out...dealer said they'd take a look but I didn't bother really as I kinda guessed what it was. They did some things right though... Some of the fuse box tow fuses are there.

I did have a play with the meter...

Open circuit from the body of the boot power socket an earth (tailgate bolt). Similarly no voltage between the center pin of the boot power socket and earth.

It's almost like it isn't wired at all....

How odd.

Puzzled.

J

Maybe they have pulled the connectors off it when fishing about with the tow-bar wiring. Could just want reconnecting.

You can get to the back of that socket without too much panel dismantling. You needn't remove the whole panel.

Upper rear plastic panel, a screw or two, then the luggage clip bars, three screws. All screws are Torx headed.

There is a two pin plug on the rear of the socket.

Biggest pain is the rear lower panel where the boot slams down, getting the panel off is easy, two screws, then pull upwards, but putting it back is a pain, I used a torch and a long plastic tool, to align the metal clips... before pressing it down, then realign the door seal, then finally clip the lower part into the sides.

I nearly posted on here for advice lol... but I persevered.

• Like 1

Maybe the socket got disconnected during the towbar fit, either accidentally snagged or deliberately pulled to donate power to the towbar install? If you pull fuse 26, does anything else stop working? Do you have the various towing fuses in the fuse panel (2, 3, 8 and 14)?

Biggest pain is the rear lower panel where the boot slams down, getting the panel off is easy, two screws, then pull upwards

Not quite. That's what I did and broken part of the side panel. Cost to replace: £65!

Two screws the pull the lowest edge inside the vehicle towards the front of the car. There's a clip at each corner that needs to be released from the side panels (that curve around the corners) before you can pull the whole panel upwards.

Be warned. There is a thread on here with pictures of said clips.

There are at least some of the towing fuses in place. Didn't clock them all.

Plan is to see if I can release the screws then pull the top of the panel loose and peer round it and not pull it all out....does that sound practical?

J

I've got the opposite problem.  Rear power socket is fine but the front has stopped working.  Can't find a fuse for the front socket?  Can anyone give a hint where to look.  RTFM assumes I could find that too!

• 3 years later...

I am having the same issue with the boot 12v point in my Yeti, but you've made an alarm bell ring as I had a towbar fitted a couple of weeks ago - so seems suspiciously likely something with that fitting has caused this.