New owner

Law350

Hi everyone

Just bought a 2005 superb in silver

Elegance model

Only had it a day but so far it's nice.

Looking to do a few bits in time so any help appreciated

Where can I get a debadged front grill. Seen pics but can't find a supplier

What's a good aftermarket sat nav unit ppl recommend, have seen on eBay front 180 to 600.

Service history is lacking so gonna get a service done ASAP.

Anything to do,change anyone can suggest?

Thanks in advance for any help

Lawrence

I knew about the footwell leak and the carpet there is dry with no signs of any recent issues. Certainly something to keep my eye on. Thank you.

Any water will be under the carpet - there can be gallons before you feel wet carpet or see it on top.

You can feel the floor pan by getting your fingers under the rear floor vents (under the front seats), but you need to be careful as the plastics there have sharp edges.  It's not the same as getting the carpet up and checking the wiring and CCM for water, but'll give you an idea.

Gaz

Look for ebay, badgeless grill...in Germany for example it was 50 euros.

Also you can look from Milotec.

I dont want to bring you bad news but, our cars, well how to say it and not to hurt are pretty much old, and all parts are getting more and more expensive, and hard to find..unfortunately.

But, good side is that we realy have good quality cars, not this newer rubish.

No....researched before I bought and saw the 2l was to be avoided.I have the 1.9.

Had a first long drive today and love it.

I used to run a rover 75 so used to older cars and maintain them.

This needs a good service as history is patchy but it's a nice drive.

What's a good aftermarket sat nav unit ppl recommend, have seen on eBay front 180 to 600.

Do not look for the standard Skoda sat nav - Looks good (as most OEM equipment does) but is woefully slow and will drive you nuts.

I fitted a Kenwood double din unit.  Look for the latest model your budget allows for (600-1000 new,  400-800 ebay).  You won't have directions on the instrument cluster screen but the position of the head unit isn't in a bad place.

Do not look for the standard Skoda sat nav - Looks good (as most OEM equipment does) but is woefully slow and will drive you nuts.

I fitted a Kenwood double din unit. Look for the latest model your budget allows for (600-1000 new, 400-800 ebay). You won't have directions on the instrument cluster screen but the position of the head unit isn't in a bad place.

Hey thanks for the reply

When I had the 75 I took a gamble and bought a Chinese double din head unit and was pretty impressed with it tbh.

Looking on eBay the ones for the superb are miles cheaper than the one bought but look the same....could be tempted again.

I quite like the factory nav - it sounds good if you have the amplified DSP package, and I can drive volume etc from steering wheel - but agree wouldn't pay much for one, and it is probably a pig to retrofit.

If you like good sound quality don't bother with an aftermarket Chinese headunit - get something decent on the second hand market, like the one oh_superb or sheldon.cooper has.  My brother got a Chinese double-DIN in his Passat and the UI is buggy, the sound quality awful, and after just a short while the buttons sticky.

Ok.......just checked under the passenger seat as advised and it's sodding wet :-(

Gutted........

Started to read up on here about the fix for it but thought would just post and get some help or advice off people who have gone through this.

Well gutted,only had the car a week :-(

• Like 1

Ok.......just checked under the passenger seat as advised and it's sodding wet :-(

Gutted........

Sorry to hear  :(

All is not lost though.  I sealed my pollen filter last week.  Very straightforward and getting the housing off, cleaning muck away and re-sealing it was only about 30 minutes work.

Weird Little Biscuit appears to have moved:

http://www.veedoubleu.com/passat/passat-leak/

Fingers crossed you've caught it early.

Gaz

Sorry to hear :(

All is not lost though. I sealed my pollen filter last week. Very straightforward and getting the housing off, cleaning muck away and re-sealing it was only about 30 minutes work.

Weird Little Biscuit appears to have moved:

http://www.veedoubleu.com/passat/passat-leak/

Fingers crossed you've caught it early.

Gaz

Thanks gaz

I will try and have a go later

Only checked as my interior lights don't work when door is open and it was suggested to check for water.

I've seen a post also that recommends sealant around a seal? Is this the pollen filter housing? Or is it just best to check the holes every month or something?!?

Thanks

The pollen filter housing has foam you can see with it still in situ, once you've removed the paper filter element, between the plastic of the housing and metalwork of the bulkhead.  This is not the problematic seal.  When you get the housing off (3 x 10mm nuts) and upend it, you'll see there's a secondary foam seal which sits in a recess outside the foam you first saw, and this is the one causing your grief.

I went off topic on dieselV6's glow plug thread (sorry DV6 :blush: ) bemoaning that I didn't get to my glow plugs but had to do my pollen filter instead  :@   There are a couple of photo's I took which might help you visualise, but to be fair, the repair threads you can find elsewhere on here have better guides:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/334149-glow-plug-replacement-25tdi-not-as-bad-as-i-thought/

Nack's guide is quite a nice one:

http://nackuk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/with-some-of-interior-lights-puddle.html

There's a malleable cord replacement (3B0819211) for this rogue seal which is readily available from Skoda/VW.

It's important to remove the bungs under the battery tray and brake servo in the plenum chamber as well - it's these getting clogged and not letting water drain which is the initial cause.

Of the three 10mm nuts holding the filter housing on, the rearward one is on a slot, rather than a hole, so only needs undoing enough to slide the housing off (it's a bit fiddly to access with the plastic scuttle in place).

Take pics!! & good luck :thumbup:

Gaz 

Hi gaz.

Thanks for your help in this.

I did it this afternoon. Few manky leaves and bit of sludge but the holes themselves were clear.

I will order the new seal and re-apply again and fit it.

Easy enough job.

Now to try and see if it dries out ok.

Do you think the interior lights not coming in when doors are open and bulb failure light are related??

Thanks again matey.

Gah delete delete delete didn't read it well enough.

But yes, your lights not working are because of the water.  The topic at the top of the Superb forum covers it in quite a bit of detail, including the various repair steps necessary.

Good luck!

:)

You really want to get under the carpet.  The wadding is very thick and not even in contact with the floor in places - there are often litres in there before the top of the carpet is wet.

The pollen seal isn't the only one to go.  The door window carrier panel seals (behind the door cards) can fail, and if you have a sunroof the drains for that can disconnect / block and fill up the car.  And on driver's side, the ECU seal and bonnet release grommet.  But the pollen filter is a number one suspect always.

The seal cost depends on the dealership.  Officially they only sell it by the box, which is £40 or so.  Some dealers will give it to you for free if you talk to the right person.  If you can't get hold of a sensible amount drop me a message - I have the remains of a whole box and can send you a bit for postage.

You really want to get under the carpet. The wadding is very thick and not even in contact with the floor in places - there are often litres in there before the top of the carpet is wet.

The pollen seal isn't the only one to go. The door window carrier panel seals (behind the door cards) can fail, and if you have a sunroof the drains for that can disconnect / block and fill up the car. And on driver's side, the ECU seal and bonnet release grommet. But the pollen filter is a number one suspect always.

The seal cost depends on the dealership. Officially they only sell it by the box, which is £40 or so. Some dealers will give it to you for free if you talk to the right person. If you can't get hold of a sensible amount drop me a message - I have the remains of a whole box and can send you a bit for postage.

Oh god. Sounds a nightmare.

Have to try and get under there at some point then.

All sounds very painful. Taken the shine off a little bit. Hopefully all will be ok.

Seen a filter housing with both seals in eBay for £22. Seems the right part.

Thanks for all the help.