New owner

Law350

Yeah, but you don't want to use the seal that comes with the housing, as it is the same one as fitted originally and fails just the same.

The material VW sell you to repair it is like a black rubber putty which is just the right size and cross section to fit in the hole left by the old foam seal, and make a proper water-tight seal.

I suspect it may make the more mechanically proper members of the forum shudder, but I resealed the pollen filter by removing the original and using household silicon sealant - the stuff in a tube that you use in a gun, usually for tiling etc. It's been watertight for a year+ now and I've resealed all four door window carrier panels with the same stuff. Messy, but far cheaper.

• Like 1

I used decorator's caulk - .99p from Wickes  :sun:

Sticks like the proverbial to the bulkhead, and the same with the filter housing.  Watertight and doesn't go off completely.  It's akin to the stuff used to seal a waterproof membrane to a door behind the door card.

I bet it's more messy than silicone sealant though!  :notme:

Gaz

I've seen on Google people using silicone before for it. I can just see me making a mess though. Lol.

Will look at the new seal option and cost first before I contemplate that.

Feel happy knowing I cleaned it out yesterday. Now concerned about the water in there.:-( just not got the time for this. Pain.:-(

I've seen on Google people using silicone before for it. I can just see me making a mess though. Lol.

Will look at the new seal option and cost first before I contemplate that.

Feel happy knowing I cleaned it out yesterday. Now concerned about the water in there.:-( just not got the time for this. Pain.:-(

It's a bit messy if you're not careful, but can definitely be done without making a horrendous mess!

I had a very similar sinking feeling shortly after buying mine about two years ago and finding water in the passenger footwell after heavy rain. However, once properly dealt with (and the other common faults with this model mentioned on this forum) the car will run to starship mileage, so it's worth the time spent in my view :-)

It's a bit messy if you're not careful, but can definitely be done without making a horrendous mess!

I had a very similar sinking feeling shortly after buying mine about two years ago and finding water in the passenger footwell after heavy rain. However, once properly dealt with (and the other common faults with this model mentioned on this forum) the car will run to starship mileage, so it's worth the time spent in my view :-)

Hey thanks for the reply.

Did you take seats out to dry floor etc? Also what other remedial stuff did you do following clearing out the drainage holes.

Kind of at a loss to what to now do apart from the sealant/new seal.

Mine thankfully wasn't too damp, so I just let it dry naturally. There've been various posts on here about people lifting the carpet and using hair driers or moisture absorbing things (word begins with d but is escaping me and google isn't helping - like those little sachet things you get in shoeboxes to keep the shoes from going damp). How damp is the your carpet/underlay? The front seats are relatively easy to get out, just be wary of the airbags in the sides of them. To remove mine (for a different reason) I first disconnected the battery and then followed these steps here.

so far as waterproofing goes I have (from memory):

- removed the plenum chamber bung from under the battery

- resealed the pollen filter tray seal

- resealed the door window carrier panels

Mine thankfully wasn't too damp, so I just let it dry naturally. There've been various posts on here about people lifting the carpet and using hair driers or moisture absorbing things (word begins with d but is escaping me and google isn't helping - like those little sachet things you get in shoeboxes to keep the shoes from going damp). How damp is the your carpet/underlay? The front seats are relatively easy to get out, just be wary of the airbags in the sides of them. To remove mine (for a different reason) I first disconnected the battery and then followed these steps here.

Thanks for this.It's appreciated.

I put an old top under my seat earlier. Took it out an hour later and it was dripping. I'm going to keep toweling it off every day and hopefully get the worst off until I have time to remove the seat.

Still need the seal.....may try silicone to save buying it.

Forgot to mention, it's worth having something to remove the windscreen wiper arms with as it then allows you to take the plastic trim off the bottom of the windscreen - making removing the battery and pollen filter a whole load easier. Just be careful not to press too hard/sharp on the plastic trim when refitting it, it's quite fragile and so is the windscreen!

As another side note, I had to reseal the door window carrier panels as I was getting water running out the bottom of the doors, onto the door sills and into the car that way - unless you're seeing water coming in like this you probably don't need to reseal the doors

Edited by Flurry

You should check the doors - it is easy to do without taking them apart.  You basically run a good amount of water along the window scraper bar and watch where it comes out - it should come out of the drain holes in the bottom of the door.  If it comes out between the plastic door trim and the door panel, then you have a carrier panel leak.

I had one leaking door, it looks like from a previous lock repair.

Is there any issues removing electric seats. Just looked at the removal guide and they aren't electric.

Second towel is only damp this morning. But serious squelching and water movement underneatu so the seat will have to come out to remove that section of carpet.

Is there any issues removing electric seats. Just looked at the removal guide and they aren't electric.

Second towel is only damp this morning. But serious squelching and water movement underneatu so the seat will have to come out to remove that section of carpet.

I have a poverty spec model, so no electric seats, but I believe the only difference will be more electrical connections to disconnect underneath - I could be wrong though.

Carpet is one piece for the whole floor, so you won't be able to remove it in sections without cutting it.  What most people do who've had a lot of water in is remove the seat and then dry it out with the carpet up (but still in the car).

I recall that if you want to get the carpet out in one piece (with no cuts at all) it involves taking apart all the centre console and maybe some of the dash...

Carpet is one piece for the whole floor, so you won't be able to remove it in sections without cutting it. What most people do who've had a lot of water in is remove the seat and then dry it out with the carpet up (but still in the car).

I recall that if you want to get the carpet out in one piece (with no cuts at all) it involves taking apart all the centre console and maybe some of the dash...

Oh ok. Thanks for the advice on that.

Possibly stupid question.lol

How do you dry it out under the carpet with it still in-situ .:-P

I can hear some sloshing about under there but I've got it pretty dry on top now.

I've not had to do it, but I think in the howto you can see somone wedging up the carpet.  Then you can use your choice of hair drier / dehumidifier / fan / etc to dry out the underside.

If you don't dry it out, you'll end up with a car that smells like wet dog... :)

Removing the electric seats is pretty much the same as the manual ones (but they will be a fair bit heavier!)

There is also another bung in the plenum chamber underneath the servo (with a brake pipe running through it), push this one out as well so it is well clear of the bulkhead.