Speeding fines on motorways and camera vans

ang9444

What's the current motorway speed limit as i've just read an article which states it has been increased to 80mph since August 2014. I was doing about 85-90 behind this car who was doing about 90-95 and was downhill so didn't see my speed rise so quickly. There was a camera van on the bridge pointing towards us, would you say i've got a ticket? And what's the consequence if i have?

Thank you

i could be wrong but i thought it was still 70 mph, 80 was only under review with no decision made

'if' the camera van was working and they weren't on a t break id say you'll get an sp50 and £30-£60 fine with 3-6 points, either way youll know in < 14 days, after that you might be lucky and get nothing, im sure they have to inform you in that time period

You might and you might not,  £100 & 3 Points is the possible consequence if a NIP drops on the mat of the registered keeper,

but you can not be sure it was a Camera Van and not a ANPR and they are spotting cars with no VED, etc 

or some other Police Actions.

So fingers crossed,

the last one i missed had me wondering for a couple of weeks if a ticket was coming.

There is no £30-£60 fine if you take the offer of the £100 / 3 Points.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Right..any chance i would have got away with it as there was a faster car in front of me and maybe they picked him up instead??

Also do these 3 points clear after a certain amount of time or do they remain forever?

Thanks

considering its only a quick photo, no camera panning needed then youd have to be sat on the front cars bumper to not get spotted, just keep your fingers crossed

its 5 years before thay can be removed off ur license but i think you only declare them for insurance purposes for 3

Edited by the mad monk

Any chance they might have picked us both or does it take some time to pick one car up then the other? I was thinking maybe they were monitoring him in front as i would have only been able to go as fast as he is..

Any points are relevant as far as totting up is concerned for three years (date of offence to date of offence)

You can apply to the DVLA to have them removed after four years

• Like 2

What is the deal now with new Drivers, and points on the Licence, how many, and how soon after passing your test?

I notified my Insurance of my last 3 Points,

So only 1 charge of £18 Administration Charge to change schedule, 2 Policies Waived on the £18, 

Any Changes to the Policy will be at renewal.

Then another broker was no charge for notifying them, 

& the Policy Renewal will be in the door any day now for the Renewal,

so i will see what 80 in a 70 cost over and above the £100, soon enough.

New drivers is a limit of 6 points within two years of passing, or less if they have pre-existing points

They are not disqualified by the court, but are liable to have their licence revoked by the DVLA, and have to revert to a provisional licence holder

• Like 1

What's the current motorway speed limit as i've just read an article which states it has been increased to 80mph since August 2014. I was doing about 85-90 behind this car who was doing about 90-95 and was downhill so didn't see my speed rise so quickly. There was a camera van on the bridge pointing towards us, would you say i've got a ticket? And what's the consequence if i have?

Thank you

if your speedo says 85-90 (lets say 87mph) and assuming (as lots do , it reads fast , say 10% as my vRS tends to on standard tyres) you would be doing a "real" 77-80 mph, the camera van will probably be booking people at about 80 mph + I would say you are probably fine :)

There's your answer. The only question is whether the speed measured was yours or that of the chap in front.

the van may have target just one of you, probably the faster one if he/she could judge it. OR they may have been having a coffee.

edit: whatever happens, dont stress, you were either done or you weren't. nothing you can do about it now , except be careful in the future :)

Guest Cossiecol

At that speed you're looking at 3 points and £100 fine, from memory anything over 96mph requires a trip to court. Of course you may still be summoned for 90mph. If you're stopped at that speed the officers will usually give you the choice of what you prefer, points or court (unless you've been driving like an a$$).

However the above being said they may have been more interested in the faster car. The down side is you've a wait to find out! If you don't receive anything in 8 - 12 weeks (just to be sure) count your blessing and learn from it.

The moral of this story is it's YOUR responsibility to know the speed limit for the road you're driving on!

NIP must be served on registered keeper within 14 days, delay will only be relevant if the driver isn't the registered keeper, and the notice has to go 'around the houses' to ascertain the driver

• Like 2

Plan for the worst and hope for the best, though at you're indicated speed it will obviously depend on what the local policy is concerning what the camera 'trigger' was set at. If they do send you a NIP and offer a speed awareness course I would take it as most insurers do not penalise you for attending one whilst others like the Admiral group do, so you can shop around come renewal time if needs be to avoid any increase in your premium. Its easily done in modern cars if you're not careful. Considering the current 70 limit was set eons ago when people were driving cars with minimal technology compared to today the 70 limit does seem out of date, but that's how it is.