Speeding fines on motorways and camera vans

ang9444

Me too, was on 9 points whilst driving between 30-35,000 miles a year, pooping myself and I had my motorbike then as well. Clean license now but sweaty cheeks time about 7-8 years ago.

It could've just been a VOSA van checking for Road Tax but the police have 14 days to inform you so panic time for a week or so, I'm sure you'll be fine.

It's normally a bit quicker, my NIP on a Saturday arrived the next Wednesday

They're becoming so sneaky and yeah as it states in the article-they're definitely trying to take people's money rather than make it safer

They're becoming so sneaky and yeah as it states in the article-they're definitely trying to take people's money rather than make it safer

Those who get caught will always say that ;)

• Like 2

They are only stealth if they make you guess what the Maximum speed limit is at the stretch of road you are driving on,

and since it is either NSL for the vehicle you are driving or a lower posted speed you can not be surprised if you get caught exceeding that.

PS

In the Picture of the Grey Gantry there is a Sign with a Camera, which gives a clue to it being a Gantry that might have cameras, or is that a bluff.!

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

<snip>

In the Picture of the Grey Gantry there is a Sign with a Camera, which gives a clue to it being a Gantry that might have cameras, or is that a bluff.!

I agree wholeheartedly with this. However, as a frequent user of Motorways, I do get really fed up with the situation where you see illuminated signs on a fairly empty road restricting the speed to 60, then 50, then derestricted, then 50, then 40 without any obvious justification - not even fog or smoothing congestion.

This is probably due to the signs not being reset after an earlier incident but I do believe that it results in drivers ignoring warning signs, perhaps with consequences far more serious than a Fixed Penalty Notice.

• Like 1

considering its only a quick photo, no camera panning needed then youd have to be sat on the front cars bumper to not get spotted, just keep your fingers crossed

its 5 years before thay can be removed off ur license but i think you only declare them for insurance purposes for 3

Other way about. Only valid on your license for 3 years but insurance count them for upto 5years.

• Like 2

It's not worth losing your licence over, keep the speed for the track as I've learnt whilst being close to losing my job as I wouldn't be able to drive

Knowing what the speed limits are on the road helps though. :D

• Like 4

I agree wholeheartedly with this. However, as a frequent user of Motorways, I do get really fed up with the situation where you see illuminated signs on a fairly empty road restricting the speed to 60, then 50, then derestricted, then 50, then 40 without any obvious justification - not even fog or smoothing congestion.

This is probably due to the signs not being reset after an earlier incident but I do believe that it results in drivers ignoring warning signs, perhaps with consequences far more serious than a Fixed Penalty Notice.

That message can be applied to all the signage on motorways at present - I regularly see signs advising of "Animals in Road" or "Incident - Slow Down" when there isn't anything on the carriageways. This is frustrating and I can see why drivers in the situation above then decide to ignore the variable speed limits because they believe there is nothing untoward. Given that all the motorway signage is controlled by HA from their Control Room, you would think they would be able to get things right.

Back OT, I went through a variable section on the M1 this morning, southbound from Bedford area and noticed the south bound gantry cameras flashing away merrily.

If you have a clean licence now... why worry, however if you were sitting on 9 points...then you can start panicing.

Problem is...

You can get enough points on any one trip without you even knowing it, no time to learn from the first offence.

If this is your first offence, then you should think yourself lucky, as you have time to adjust your driving technique, or improve your observation skills lol...

I used to drive a lot, 30-40 k miles PA and I had this theory, that if around 10% of the cars are overtaking you on the motorway, then you are driving to the conditions, and mostly you will be ignored, but if you find yourself overtaking everybody... then expect a letter on the mat. This was my theory... it worked for me.

Don't forget, there are many unmarked police cars on the motorway, nearly all drivers will slow down when they see a marked police car, whether they were speeding or not, but often by the time you see a marked police car, you have already passed an unmarked one at your previous speed.

Last summer we passed a mobile camera... dry sunny afternoon, too late... I looked at the speedo... 80 mph, ( speed limit 70) and I knew from the GPS that that was the speed, I said to my wife....it's ok we were only doing 80 mph...

I had no concern, and had no post either... Now I need to learn from that... Now I consider myself lucky. We were not in the outside lane at the time though...

Some friends elected to go on a speed awareness course, having been caught for 32 in a 30 and when they talked to the other students, most were less than 5 mph over.

It seems the ones doing 35+ were not given the option, it was points and fine.

So don't assume 10% over is ok.

Zero tolerance is just that.

Doing 80 mph, as opposed to 70 mph on a 100 mile trip with varied conjestion, barely makes 10 minutes difference to your arrival time.

You can also save 10-20% fuel too, less stress, less looking for speed cameras, or unmarked police cars, more time to observe what is happening around you so you can drive defensively.

Overall a better driving experience.

Edited by rustic
  • Like 2

People driving in Scotland passed 'Fixed / Marked / Well warned by signage' cameras along the route should be aware that 

in many Speed Partnership areas you might well be getting a NIP /letter/ ticket from going through a camera on a 70 mph NSL while near or below 80 mph and more than 70 mph.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I think the ACPO Ruling is 10% + 2 mph so at an indicated 70 mph on your speedo you would be allowed 70 + 7 (10%) + 2 = 79 mph in a 70-MPH Limit. 

• Like 1

You might be fine, but then that is the gamble you take, the £100 / 3 points gamble,

this is that your speedometers accuracy or the thought it reads low, it might be accurate with different tyres on the car, and that ACPO Speed Enforcement Policy Guidelines 2011-2015 ('Ruling' England & Wales maybe)  is that which is being adhered to.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Doing 80 mph, as opposed to 70 mph on a 100 mile trip with varied conjestion, barely makes 10 minutes difference to your arrival time.

You can also save 10-20% fuel too.

This needs shouting from the rooftops!

• Like 1

I think the ACPO Ruling is 10% + 2 mph so at an indicated 70 mph on your speedo you would be allowed 70 + 7 (10%) + 2 = 79 mph in a 70-MPH Limit.

I think you mean ACPO guidelines, and as many legal eagles will say, they are guidelines, not tramlines, ie not rigid, and no guarantee that they will be adhered to, you still have to be wary of individual discretion being used

• Like 1

Just a heads up on this about vehicle speedo's. My Fabia has a very accurate speedo. It reads just 2 mph fast at all indicated speeds! That's on new tyres. On the old tyres which were half worn before I replaced them, it read 5 mph fast. That's all according to gps, so fairly accurate, but of course not totally! So don't assume your speedo is too far off otherwise you may cop a nip. My friend found his speedo was 10% out by gps but was done for speeding. He always drove over the indicated limit on his speedo allowing for the fact his speedo was fast. He forgot that he'd had new tyres and his speedo was in fact almost spot on like mine!! When we check it afterwards is was just 1mph out at all indicated speeds. 

Also, these speed camera vans are now almost entirely an automated system. The guy operating just sits in the front reading a news paper. The camera does the rest without need for human intervention after it's setup. It's capable of getting two cars travelling fairly close together too as long as there is at least a 1 second gap (too close of course).

I should've been more careful i know, and i shouldn't have been speeding but there were no signs anywhere for at least 5-10 miles before that van and no signs for another 5-10 miles at least after it, in fact the only sign i saw was before the motorway which was 10-15miles before it

I should've been more careful i know, and i shouldn't have been speeding but there were no signs anywhere for at least 5-10 miles before that van and no signs for another 5-10 miles at least after it, in fact the only sign i saw was before the motorway which was 10-15miles before it

You'd learn on a speed awareness course that if you see no repeater signs for that distance, the speed limit defaults to NSL

You just need to learn what NSLs are :)

• Like 1

Not on Motorways,

but on Trunk Roads and others you could sometimes see the Signs put out by the Mobile Van Operator,

i watched one set up on the Kingsway in Dundee a Portable Sign & as he turned to walk back to the van, he back heeled it and knocked it over.