Speeding fines on motorways and camera vans

ang9444

What's the current motorway speed limit as i've just read an article which states it has been increased to 80mph since August 2014. I was doing about 85-90 behind this car who was doing about 90-95 and was downhill so didn't see my speed rise so quickly. There was a camera van on the bridge pointing towards us, would you say i've got a ticket? And what's the consequence if i have?

Thank you

So. Did you hear anything?

Yeah true, it's definitely not worth speeding for the consequences and glad i've realised that before it was too late

Haha too bad it's already too late for some of us [emoji24]

Tbh speeding doesn't do much for journey times, especially in the morning, what's the point, I only speed if it's relatively clear

Because speed is fun in certain places.

Dont get many thrills from doing 90-100mph on a motorway though.

But 50/60mph on A roads isnt so fun.

Edited by Otaylor38

Just leave speeding to the occasional fun, dont speed most the time n youll be alreet (:

It's all about choosing the opportune moment. Nobody with a car capable of 140mph isn't tempted to try it out at some point. 

My highest speed is 133mph logged by my Satnav, therefore accurate, at 6am in the morning on a certain motorway, (maybe not even in the UK, but that would be telling).

Knowing your local area helps, a little bit of research on the web shows you where mobile cameras are likely to be, & an uptodate database on your satnav shows all static cameras.

I have never picked up a speeding ticket (or any other sort of infringement) in 53 years of fast & furious motoring. But then maybe I'm lucky?

• Like 1

It's all about choosing the opportune moment. Nobody with a car capable of 140mph isn't tempted to try it out at some point.

My highest speed is 133mph logged by my Satnav, therefore accurate, at 6am in the morning on a certain motorway, (maybe not even in the UK, but that would be telling).

Knowing your local area helps, a little bit of research on the web shows you where mobile cameras are likely to be, & an uptodate database on your satnav shows all static cameras.

I have never picked up a speeding ticket (or any other sort of infringement) in 53 years of fast & furious motoring. But then maybe I'm lucky?

Exactly mate. More of an a-road person myself. I like a few corners chucked in, which demand abit more judgement haha.

Id of course be lying if i said Id had a top speed run on a vfr 800, which on paper is 155mph. But Id never do that.

Just gotta be careful havent ya. As you say, local roads help. Im not a fan of speeding on motorways. Too well policed IMO, and i dont really know any that well because its an hour to the closest one haha

Edited by Otaylor38
  • Like 1

Hm i'm usually very careful but who doesn't speed from time to time? Everyone does it. Obviously in non built up areas but yeah there's always a risk involved and you never know whether there's a camera van round the corner or coppers with speed guns

• Like 1

Because speed is fun in certain places.

Dont get many thrills from doing 90-100mph on a motorway though.

But 50/60mph on A roads isnt so fun.

Lol I actually got done by an unmarked on a country road which at the time introduced a 40mph speed limit and I was going round at 70ish ;) :P

• Like 1

I am amused by the assumption by some members here that everyone must be like them and therefore must speed.

There is one road I use often that most drivers speed to almost double the limit regularly, because it looks like a dual carriageway but there are no signs suggesting a higher limit (in fact in the other direction, there is a 30 sign as you enter it) and I also have access to road speed maps through my job and have confirmed its all a continuation of the 30 zone.

I am regularly tailgated and sometimes flashed at in the left lane because I refuse to speed. Its funny when there's also someone in the right lane who is also aware of what the limit is.

Oh dear. Were you not banned for that? Lol

Nope lol, went to court with a lawyer (was also in my 2 year probation period too) as I was at risk of recieving 6 points, lawyer negotiated a deal with CPS to lower my alleged speed if I pled guilty, 4 points and a £60 fine (also considering it was at 3am in the morning, it was a lower perceived risk I posed to the general public, tbh think the cops thought I was on the sauce as it was the time nightclubs were closing.

Edited by Sathit
  • Like 1

I am amused by the assumption by some members here that everyone must be like them and therefore must speed.

There is one road I use often that most drivers speed to almost double the limit regularly, because it looks like a dual carriageway but there are no signs suggesting a higher limit (in fact in the other direction, there is a 30 sign as you enter it) and I also have access to road speed maps through my job and have confirmed its all a continuation of the 30 zone.

I am regularly tailgated and sometimes flashed at in the left lane because I refuse to speed. Its funny when there's also someone in the right lane who is also aware of what the limit is.

Repeater signs arent needed in 30 zones if there are street lights and no central reservation

Hands up who has done a speed awareness course?

Me, happy to admit it

Which is why it makes my p*ss boil when all the whingers moan when they get caught and can't handle it

Edited by Brimma
  • Like 1

Me, happy to admit it

Which is why it makes my p*ss boil when all the whingers moan when they get caught and can't handle it

Me too! I actually found it quite interesting and have since tested the what speed zone are you in rules. It has always been right.

Though I did note the stopping distances were taken from tests done in 1983 or something.... so one suspects they might be a little better now.

I have also suggested her indoors does one off her own back, I spend a lot of my life in her passenger seat with white knuckles!

There should be some here. There are lights, no pavement and a central reservation.

then yes it does sound like they are due. Either a) tell someone of authority, or B) speed plenty, get caught and argue the case. Ha Ha.....