Which steering rack?

As good an excuse as any for a TT/S3 quick rack? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe but I'm planning on selling it soon, but if I can get a TT/S3 rack for the same price as an Octavia/Golf one then I might as well upgrade it :)

Congrats on getting one Tom. PM me at some point I think I have a quick rack amongst my spares.

Not got a replacement (yet!) but my steering became noisy the other day and the rack is leaking on the passenger side.

As an aside, may I ask why it needs a new rack? I've not heard of this being a common fault is all...

The rack is leaking on the passenger side. I didn't think it was that uncommon - there are other people on here who have had to replace the rack.

I bought some fluid from the VW dealer on Saturday (nearer than Skoda and they still gave me 10% off!) and topped it up today so hopefully it will be OK for a bit longer if I keep an eye on the level once a week.

At the moment I'm not sure whether to just start hunting a bit harder for a replacement car and sell this one with the leaky rack or to just get it fixed so that I'm not time pressured on finding a replacement. Hmmm!

If you're planning on maybe selling it I'd probably get a used tt/s3 rack. That way you're not spending too much and it's then upgraded for the rest of the time you own it. I think I'd rather go OEM for the rack even if it is used if I could find a good one. May well be nothing wrong with the above and will probably be fine, don't know anyone who has had one of those though.

I've just put a Western Power Steering recon rack on my friends Fabia. Works fine, only criticism would be that the boots which come with it are not tapered at the ends, so i have a feeling that they will rub on the bottom arm and eventually wear through. Time will tell i suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

Found out that when a garage replaced my inner tie rod in Nov 2013 that they secured the boot (badly) with cable ties, which I suspect has allowed dirt in and damaged the seal, causing the leak. Annoying but difficult to prove!

After a bit more reading it seems I would need TT inner tie rods & rod ends to fit the TT rack, can anyone confirm this? Will the TT track rod ends fit the standard VRS hubs?

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this - took the car to Unit 18 in MK today to get the TT rack fitted. Ali said the Octy tie rods wouldn't fit the TT rack so bought Leon Cupra R tie rods/rod ends and fitted those along with the rack. Ali also said that only the 225bhp TTs have the quick rack but I'm sure I read somewhere else that all TTs have quick racks. I saw the car my rack came off but can't remember if it was a 225 or not.

The quick rack is a really nice upgrade - as expected the steering is heavier but feels nice and weighty now. Steering feels more precise and seems to give better feedback. It only really cost me the £60 odd on top of fitting a second hand VRS/mk4 golf rack so a worthwhile upgrade at that price.

Car has now had well over £500 spent on it in the last month, fingers crossed that's it for big bills for a while!

• Like 1