Picked up new Yeti today

PaveyArk

I picked up my new Yeti today. L&K 170 TDI manual in green. Very happy with it so far.

For the past 8 years I've had an Audi A4 Avant TDI and my initial impressions of the Yeti is how quiet the engine is. Really surprised me, and it drives and sounds more like a petrol car. Enjoying the elevated seating position also. I'm 6'4" and I have lots of room.

Also impressive is the new Amundsen SATNAV system although you no longer get a CD player. Great

touch screen which is both fast and intuitive. One odd thing though: The manual mentions there should be rocker switch buttons at the end of the wiper stalk and also a button under the wiper stalk (I had these on the Audi) but not on the Yeti.

I'm sure I'll find more toys to play with tomorrow...

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, the L&K170 is a nice place to be. Strange the Amundson no longer has a CD player, but in reality you won't miss it. I have 1 in mine, but have only used it once just to make sure it worked. Once you put your music on an SD card you'll wonder why you ever bothered with all the faff associated with CDs. Skoda manuals are famous for their misinformation!

One odd thing though: The manual mentions there should be rocker switch buttons at the end of the wiper stalk and also a button under the wiper stalk (I had these on the Audi) but not on the Yeti.

Are you saying you've not got these buttons fitted?

Buttons_zps2f166312.jpg

Skoda manuals are famous for their misinformation!

They should supply a magnifying glass also.

Having said that I'd hate to have the job of writing the manual.

• Like 1

Are you saying you've not got these buttons fitted?

Buttons_zps2f166312.jpg

Hi Urrell, From your image, I don't have buttons 1&2. I do however have buttons 3&4. Maybe they do the same? Will have to have a play when I've scraped the snow off the car.

Welcome to the forum, the L&K170 is a nice place to be. Strange the Amundson no longer has a CD player, but in reality you won't miss it. I have 1 in mine, but have only used it once just to make sure it worked. Once you put your music on an SD card you'll wonder why you ever bothered with all the faff associated with CDs. Skoda manuals are famous for their misinformation!

Speak for yourself. I would not be without a CD player.

CDs sound much better than MP3 files.

I've been playing around a bit more with the new Amundsen SatNav today. Ive found out that the buttons on the steering wheel have the same function as the buttons on the wiper stalk so that's cleared that up.

As for MP3 vs CD. Yes, I agree that CD is of a higher quality to MP3, but the new Amundsen will play lossless files too, either via SD card or via Bluetooth. I've been playing lossless via Bluetooth from my iPhone and I have to say it sounds very good indeed. This is without the sound system. In my previous Audi I had Bose, and this comes very close.

The only niggle with the SatNav is it doesn't appear to do postcodes. Did the previous Columbus?

Cars with the multifunction steering wheel don't have the controls on the stalk as they're not needed.  Our Octavia vRS has the extra buttons on the wiper stalk to operate the maxidot because it doesn't have a multifunction steering wheel.

I'm surprised you can't search by postcode on your Amunsden.  I can on my Amunsden, but it is a different model as my Yeti is pre facelift and still has a CD player.

As others have noted, the switches are not there on the stalk if you have a multi-function steering wheel.

The manual I don't think is that bad. A lot of the time here, questions are asked that are found in the manual (I don't have a problem with people asking!). The problem is that the manual is a 'global' (ish) manual covering most of the country spec/options so it leaves you wishing you could have some stuff that others have (like the extra sun visors!).

My L&k came with the Columbus, why would they discontinue this in favour of the model below?

I do believe it was build week 47 2014 that the Columbus was dropped, the Amundsen was upgraded quite a bit at the same time.

I suspect the Columbus or a premium Amundsen will return at a later date.

I do believe it was build week 47 2014 that the Columbus was dropped, the Amundsen was upgraded quite a bit at the same time.

Ah ok.

A sales point of difference with 'the all new model'!!

Mine doesn't have the switches on the stalk, you have to use the controls on the steering wheel. From what I have heard the Columbus in the old format has been discontinued and will be replaced by the new MIB Columbus and Amundsen as found in the new Octavia soon.

Ian

This is probably a stupid question but do build weeks correspond to calendar year weeks? ie would week 47 equate to approx late November?

Our Yeti was put on the boat around mid November, so just trying to work out if we'll get the Columbus (which we were specced for) or the upgraded Amunsden.

I can't say if the new Amundsen (which I have) is any better or worse than the previous Columbus as I've never played with the Columbus. However, I know I'd rather have a unit that does not contain a hard drive. A spinning hard drive will go wrong at some stage, it's just a matter of time, especially with the temperature extremes and vibrations found in a car. No moving parts in the new one has to be better for reliability, not to mention cost savings for Skoda.

I can't say if the new Amundsen (which I have) is any better or worse than the previous Columbus as I've never played with the Columbus. However, I know I'd rather have a unit that does not contain a hard drive. A spinning hard drive will go wrong at some stage, it's just a matter of time, especially with the temperature extremes and vibrations found in a car. No moving parts in the new one has to be better for reliability, not to mention cost savings for Skoda.

What's the storage medium for the non-HDD alternative though? Isn't it an SD card? If so, then give me spinning rust any time - SD cards are well known as devices with only a limited service/storage life and a HDD, even in a moving vehicle, is likely to have a longer MTBF.

What's the storage medium for the non-HDD alternative though? Isn't it an SD card? If so, then give me spinning rust any time - SD cards are well known as devices with only a limited service/storage life and a HDD, even in a moving vehicle, is likely to have a longer MTBF.

But

Your library can simply be downloaded to a replacement card and have no worry about your car's hard drive s.....g itself.

• Like 2

This is probably a stupid question but do build weeks correspond to calendar year weeks? ie would week 47 equate to approx late November?

Our Yeti was put on the boat around mid November, so just trying to work out if we'll get the Columbus (which we were specced for) or the upgraded Amunsden.

If yours was built WK 47 it should have the new system, mine was Wk46 and has the new Bolero if that helps at all