Gearbox repair

Hi,

Does anybody have a positive experience replacing an automatic gearbox?

My superb is used as a taxi, my only income and i'm being asked to pay 1800 by a garage to replace it.

The issue is much the same as I've read on the forum .. the gearbox appears to be in failsafe mode. 

If theres a ink to possible solutions or anyone in ireland / dublin that can recommend where to go I would really appreciate it. 

It's a 1.9 tdi. 

Thanks,

I paid 1500 to have mine refurbed at 97K because it lost reverse.  Quite different to failsafe mode.

If it is in failsafe mode it will probably have logged a code - unless it is in failsafe because the gearbox electronics (TCM) are no longer working.  The electronics live under the carpet on driver's side, which can flood with water, and if that happens it wrecks the TCM.

Pulled gearboxes go for about £4-500 on Ebay.  There is a guy in Bristol who repairs them for about £1K, he sounded like he knew what he was doing on the phone, but I ended up going more local.  I think he also repairs TCMs if that has failed.  The guys in town wanted over £2K to do mine.  Don't know what the going rate is in Ireland - but it clearly varies a lot.

Did they actually tell you what it was that is wrong, and are they a gearbox place or just a general garage?  

Can you get a code read out of it (or see if the TCM is talking?).  Maybe a local member with VCDS could get it read for you?

• Like 1

Thanks Freedom. Its a general garage. They're offering to fix it with a years warranty. On one had thats good, but doesn't fill me full of confidence that they know what they're doing. I think its a good idea to get a code read as you suggested. 

"Freedom" just means I'm a paid member on here, contributing (a very modest amount) to the upkeep(!)

A year's warranty sounds good.  My place gave me a year / 24,000 miles, but with an obligatory transmission fluid change at 12,000 miles (at a cost of £200), so you could argue they didn't give me much! :)

The other thing to bear in mind when you are talking about "gearbox replacement" is that there are 4 key components in the gearbox - the gearbox itself which contains the gears and clutches (and the differential), the valve body underneath it which has all the solenoids in it controlling gearchange (just above the transmission fluid pan), the torque converter which connects the box to the engine via a clutch and the transmission fluid, and the electronics in the TCM under the seat.  The electronics don't need touching unless they are broken; but you don't really just want the "gearbox" part swapping onto your old valve body and torque converter if they don't know what is wrong with it.

The code read will educate you for sure a little more as to what the issue is; it would be a shame to change the box if it isn't faulty.  With the proper VCDS cable you can also test the solenoids (and listen for them "clicking") and check for things like fluid temperature and torque converter lockup.  But I guess a lot of this is a little moot - at the end of the day it sounds like you're going to have to find a good a garage you are confident in.  I wouldn't just want bits swapping onto it unless the whole lot was being swapped (gearbox, torque converter and valve body).  Obviously if it has a warranty (and you can trust the warranty to be worth something) then it is arguably their problem, but it will end up being your problem if you're off the road again in a few weeks / months.

• Like 1