Adding an amplifier to improve Columbus sound quality

I'm quite underwhelmed with the Columbus sound system - as I was with the RNS510 in my passat. I'd like to improve it this time.

Has anyone modified their stereo?

In my experience, VAG fit good speakers to their cars, the problem is lack of amplifier power.

There are two options I'm thinking of :

1. making a loom that uses a line-out converter from each Columbus speaker channel, feeds it through a proper power amp fitted somewhere behind the glovebox, and then passes the amplified sound to the speakers.

2. more conventional approach of just adding a small sub, perhaps in a custom parcel shelf.

Any thoughts?

It's always the oem unit not the speakers, I've put 50x50w aftermarket units in a few of mine in the past and the difference is night and day, the Sup 1 used to vibrate the rear window and shell when cranked up, I'm finding my Insignia one lacking also but it's not an easy job to replace this one without either paying through the nose as the surround kit is near £200 on it's own.

It's always the oem unit not the speakers.

I found the factory standard (elegance) speakers to be poor. The combined mid/low range speaker loses clarity at about 130Hz and below, so you just get very muddied low and mid bass: the speakers are just being asked to do too much.

Fitting an active subwoofer meant that I could let the factory speakers focus on the mid and upper range, which improves overall clarity across the entire range - but it then highlights that the factory tweeters are also not very well matched.

If the shrillness of the tweeters bothered me that much, then my next upgrade would be to replace the factory speakers - which would also mean fitting an amp. That would be another £400++, but fortunately I don't like listening to female vocals THAT much.

Hi Jake

Which active sub did you fit in the end - the KENWOOD KSC-SW01?   Saw this one for 115 which seems good value.   But does it fit under the seat as seems people are going for the boot (I have the estate)

cheer

n

Derby

I found the factory standard (elegance) speakers to be poor. The combined mid/low range speaker loses clarity at about 130Hz and below, so you just get very muddied low and mid bass: the speakers are just being asked to do too much.

Fitting an active subwoofer meant that I could let the factory speakers focus on the mid and upper range, which improves overall clarity across the entire range - but it then highlights that the factory tweeters are also not very well matched.

If the shrillness of the tweeters bothered me that much, then my next upgrade would be to replace the factory speakers - which would also mean fitting an amp. That would be another £400++, but fortunately I don't like listening to female vocals THAT much.

I can't speak for the sup2, mine was in the sup 1 where I fitted a Chinese unit and a Pioneer and a Sony in the Passat, speakers came alive on all of them after the standard units, I didn't want to part with the Sony I'd only had it 3 mths but it would've sat in the box forever more as car dashes are becoming less friendly to add to.

Hi Jake

Which active sub did you fit in the end - the KENWOOD KSC-SW01? Saw this one for 115 which seems good value. But does it fit under the seat as seems people are going for the boot (I have the estate)

cheer

n

Derby

I went for the pioneer ts-wx610a. It literally fits inside the spare wheel, then you put your jack and tools inside the bag provided and put then in the side cupboard. It really is an invisible install.

I bought from a German seller on eBay. Quicker delivery, and much cheaper than buying from a UK. Looks like £170 will get you one, as £ very strong against € at the mo.

If then cost me £100 to get someone to fit it for me. There's a lot of trim that needs to be removed, as you need to run cables from the front to the back of the car - so I left it to the experts. There's a wired remote control as well, which I had them route through into the little driver cubby by my knee.

It's great for the money.

I bought mine after having the same recommendation from Jake and it makes the sound so much better as the speakers can handle to mid/upper range and the sub the bass. I have added a picture of mine below which is exactly the same active sub as Jake's. If your anywhere near Manchester you are welcome to come and have a listen to mine if you like...

thanks guys - that's useful info

Just with an eye to the future as its a new car and aim to keep for 3 years, how easy is it to uninstall (esp) the remote.  Realize the sub will just unplug but will there be wiring dangling somewhere?   By the driver cubby you mean the pulldown drawer on the r, next to my knee - the one that I swear at every time I leave open and scrape my knee on?

If you want to re-use the cables then I think uninstall would need to be the opposite of the install. But if you're in a rush then I guess you could just snip one end and yank it through.

And yep: that little pull-down drawer is it. The remote is handy to increase/decrease the gain of the sub, so that your private listening can have a bit more oomph than when you've got kids in the back.

• 4 weeks later...

Went for the Pioneer 610 as recommended - £165 + £100 to fit.   Sounds great but haven't quite had time to sort levels out properly.

Just checked the same Ebay site and noticed the sub is now £526!   Wow - inflation in Germany is obv a problem!

thanks for recommendations

N

Derby UK

• Like 1

That's good to hear mate that makes 3 of us now! I was amazed how much better the standard speakers sound once the active sub takes the bass out...

Get the levels sorted and allow a good couple of hours (and maybe a few more) to let the sub bed in and it will start sounding better.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi, i have also decided to upgrade mine. I dont have a speare wheel / space saver, so I decided to get a Pioneer Active Subwoofer TS-WX710A (low profile). Waiting for delivery (ordered off German EBay (used google translate) - saved a few quid, as someone mentioned earlier in this or a similar thread due to the GBP / Euro exchange rate. I am now deciding whether to install myself or get it installed professionally (any recommended installers in Birmingham). I got it including DHL express delivery for £194.00.

Edited by PaulBarls