Skoda Fabia VRS - DSG Problems

Hi Guys,

First time poster new owner of a green Skoda Fabia VRS Estate.  Been reading up a lot on here, some good info, love the car so far.

Has anyone had specific issues with their DSG gearbox?

Mine has started to have a rough jolt from Neutral into Drive, then 1st up to 2nd, otherwise its fine.  It recently reverted back to being nice and smooth today but then back to the rough jolt again.

Any ideas?

Cheers inadvance.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

First time poster new owner of a green Skoda Fabia VRS Estate.  Been reading up a lot on here, some good info, love the car so far.

Mine has started to have a rough jolt from Neutral into Drive, then 1st up to 2nd, otherwise its fine.  It recently reverted back to being nice and smooth today but then back to the rough jolt again.

Any ideas?

Cheers inadvance.

Forgot to say it only have 20,000 miles on the clock.

Welcome to the forum.

Has your car been in for the Service Campaign on the DSG.

Called from May 2014,

Not all cars need it, but it may need the Mechattronic Control unit checked,  

The Synthetic Oil Changed to Mineral Oil & a ECU Update.

There are some DSG that you feel between 1st and 2nd, 

But also some have Clutch Pack & Mechatronic Control Issues, so best Call in at a Dealers or call Skoda UK Customer services 

and see about having the Gear Box checked & the Service Campaign work Carried out.

If you do a search on here you will see quite a few DSG Issue threads.

george

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Any ideas?

Cheers inadvance.

from neutral to drive, make sure you have your foot FIRMLY on the brake pedal , too little pressure will cause it to try and engage and cause a jolt.....

1st to 2nd normally only jolts on sport or manual..... should be smoooooth in "D"

It can be "jolty" downshifting to 2nd gear in certain conditions, in my case when in third accelerating but then having to brake hard'ish but still rolling. Frankly, to be expected as engine is still high and the box had 4th pre-selected (remember trying to accelerate in third!) and suddely 2nd is needed :)

Otherwise normal.

Thanks for all the information guys.

I rang UK Skoda and they confirmed the car was valid for the Gearbox Campaigne, so it went in yesterday and has come out with lovely smooth gear changes again.  However I must admit I did notice the original change with the temperature being 3 dergrees or below so could have been a contributing factor.

Think I may end up with the old oil compsumption issues which I am currently monitoring, hope its not bad though as being a 2nd hand private buyer, when I mentioned to UK Skoda they said I wasnt 'a brand loyalty customer' as I didnt buy direct from them (which got my back up!) so no chance of any good will manufacturers warrenty if it does end up being  dodgey CAV engine.

• Like 1

Good on the DSG.

On the Oil.

Did you buy from a Trader or Dealership with any kind of Warranty.

Regardless of being out of the Skoda 3 Year Warranty.

Skoda UK do not get off that easy.

They knew of the Potential Engine Issues when the cars were in Warranty and did no Service Campaign on them.

So call Skoda UK Customer Services and find out the cars Service & Warranty History in the First 3 Years.

Was there a Report of High Oil Use, was a Breather Pipe & Valve Mod & ECU Update Done,

or maybe even a Engine Rebuild or Replacement engine fitted.?

If you just want to put in Oil & live with it.

Maybe put in New Spark Plugs, change the Oil & Filter unless just done,

Use 5w /40 Fully Synthetic to VW 502 00,   exactly 3.6 Litres,  use 99 ron petrol. 

and enjoy the car, do not baby it.

All might be good, and monitor how much oil is needed.

Do not Overfill or let go more than 0.5 litres low.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the information guys.

I rang UK Skoda and they confirmed the car was valid for the Gearbox Campaigne, so it went in yesterday and has come out with lovely smooth gear changes again. However I must admit I did notice the original change with the temperature being 3 dergrees or below so could have been a contributing factor.

Think I may end up with the old oil compsumption issues which I am currently monitoring, hope its not bad though as being a 2nd hand private buyer, when I mentioned to UK Skoda they said I wasnt 'a brand loyalty customer' as I didnt buy direct from them (which got my back up!) so no chance of any good will manufacturers warrenty if it does end up being dodgey CAV engine.

'Not a Brand loyalty customer '?

That's disgusting

This is an engine they know is suspect (and won't admit to officially) and is one of their cars regardless of where it was bought

As said above,check the cars history and if clear could be worth buying an extended warrantee

The only difference between DSG and an H-patter manual is that the gear changes themselves are being performed by mechatronic unit therefore it will behave the dame as any other manual gearbox :).

With oil usage you will find that when you put a high viscosity index oil in with moderate to high resistance to fuel dilution oil usage drops off dramatically.

This Motul I found excellent

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68893-motul-sport-5w-50-engine-oil.aspx

Follow George's advice as to how to deal with Skoda and you will be all right