Goodbye, Yeti!

hmibennett

After several happy years of Yeti ownership. it's goodbye this Friday.  Now that we have two grandchildren, I decided an occasional 7-seater would make sense so that we were not always having to take two cars on trips out with our daughter and her family.  We still need a 4x4 out here in the sticks, and I came across a 15-month old low mileage Qashqai+2 - 1.6 diesel in top Tekna trim.. It has virtually all the toys of my L&K Yeti (bar the heated front screen, which I will miss) and drives beautifully in my view, despite some of the withering comments about 'Cashcows' on this forum.

I'll be sad to wave off the snow monster, but am looking forward to the extra adaptability of the Qashqai.  A pity they've stopped making the +2: its replacement, the new X-trail, is to my mind an ugly and too bulky car, so I don't know what the next choice will be for me: maybe I'll hang onto this one longer than has been my habit.

So - farewell, forum: I have enjoyed the helpfulness and banter here.

• Like 1

Does it?  I had heard it was for the overseas market only.  If it comes here, there's a very high likelihood I'll return to the Yeti fold in a couple of years!

You are allowed to stay - Yeti or not! ;-)

Absolutely, you're welcome to stay, although we will from time to time throw breadcrumbs at you mumbling 'deserter' under our breathe hahaha

Owning a Skoda is a bonus, not a prerequisite. :)

• Like 2

Yes Andrew keep popping in , I do, although I dare not mention my Qashqai anymore.

I am waiting to see what the next generation Yeti will be, hope it has a more refined ride, as I am now used to the super smooth drive. I still miss the vision and the quirky looks.

• Like 2

Yes Andrew keep popping in , I do, although I dare not mention my Qashqai anymore.

Deserter  :o   (Throws breadcrumbs at jonceebee)   :giggle:

• Like 1

Good luck, Andrew!  We still have mainly happy memories of our Mk1 X-Trail and despite no experience at all of the Qashqai we retain a degree of respect for Nissan. You might keep us up to date with your experiences. 

I wonder if the Mods (bless 'em) would consider a Qashqai sub-forum?  There must be enough potential members now....

I'll stick around then - will give some thoughts on the comparison between the Yeti and the Qashqai when I've had the latter a while.

Be careful on what you say Andrew, I got a few bad comments when I made the comparison between the 2014 New Qashqai and my Yeti, almost 10 months on and I have no regrets in changing what so ever, I suppose growing old makes you appreciate a more refined car, but I am saying no more.

Be careful on what you say Andrew, I got a few bad comments when I made the comparison between the 2014 New Qashqai and my Yeti, almost 10 months on and I have no regrets in changing what so ever, I suppose growing old makes you appreciate a Soggier car, but I am saying no more.

Fixed that for you :D

• Like 1

Be careful on what you say Andrew, I got a few bad comments when I made the comparison between the 2014 New Qashqai and my Yeti, almost 10 months on and I have no regrets in changing what so ever, I suppose growing old makes you appreciate a more refined car, but I am saying no more.

Also makes you less perceptive! :think:   I say that from the standpoint of being  76 years old. :giggle:

Fred

Awh...  sad departure.  Good luck with the QQ.  Two things: be VERY careful of the Japanese height boot height when open, as I can tell you now you will walk into it more times than you care (it is VERY low in its fully open position) and secondly I hope you don't wear hats since the QQ has the least amount of headroom and the most ridiculously high mounted front seats I've ever come across in a car.  So bye bye hats!

Apart from that, little wrong with them to be honest. British designed (in Paddington, London) and British built. Good cars.  Enjoy your fertility symbol (as anything is called with 7 seats in my book!)

Good luck with th QQ hmibennet. I too changed from the Yeti recently for different reasons to yours (change in job situation meant a move to petrol  and an Octavia III vRS came up)

The Yetisti have not placed a bar on me visiting the Yeti forum though as I plan to adopt another in a few years depending on how Yeti II turns out.

First impressions and comparisons as promised.

• QQ panoramic roof does not open - not a problem, as I seldom opened the Yeti roof given the buffeting that results.  QQ roof still lets in light and there is dual aircon and opening windows for fresh air!
  • QQ front seats seem more comfortable and yielding - but longest drive so far is 75 miles.
  • Engine noise in QQ hardly noticeable but road noise much less than Yeti, despite QQ's 18" wheels.
  • Quality of radio and satnav in QQ less good then Yeti (and map data supplied with 2013 build car was for 2010!!!)
  • Fewer storage cubby holes in QQ but storage beneath central front arm rest much deeper
  • 'Feel' of steering, brakes etc. doesn't seem any different
  • 'Poke' of QQ 1.6 diesel doesn't feel any less than the Yeti 1.8 petrol (or, from what I can remember, the 170hp diesel)
  • Fuel economy so far (according to car's computer) is 49.5 (diesel QQ) against 33.2 (petrol Yeti) and the 46.8 I got from 170 diesel Yeti but not driven the QQ far yet
  • QQ's 'intelligent' (ie keyless) entry is very handy, but I am aware of security concerns
  • Positioning of QQ handbrake (ie on 'wrong' side and rather far back) is awkward for my (average height) wife
  • Miss a heated front windscreen, especially these last few days!
  • The 360 camera system is a far more useful aid than park assist; parallel parking is seldom needed where I live (I acknowledge it might be much more useful in a large town/city) but the helpfulness of seeing an all-round and 'bird's eye' view is extremely helpful when parking up against dry stone walls, for example, where every nasty protrusion shows up on screen

Overall, I'd say it's a draw.  Perfectly happy with the QQ as I wanted the occasional 7 seat option, but I don't think either car is especially better than the other; I quite miss Yeti's quirkiness, but find the QQ, especially in +2 format with the longer wheelbase and raised rear roofline, a handsome car.

No doubt there will be some different views!