Heated Seats

I certainly agree with you there Superb170..... Add to that the fact that i travel to and from work, every time whatever shift i am on, in darkness for approaching 6 months of the year and you can see why i go through LED sidelights like there's no tomorrow too :)

Even with nothing on the cold winter weather cripples the fuel consumption on diesels,  the electrics have little impact

Even with nothing on the cold winter weather cripples the fuel consumption on diesels,  the electrics have little impact

I did an experiment during the (somewhat) warmer days where I tried to use little or no fans/aircon/heated seats and the fuel economy decreased again.  Not saying its all electrics though and I agree there are other factors too such as denser (colder) air, longer idling times, winter diesel etc. 

Still I wouldn't do without the heated seats whatever the impact on fuel economy :)

Heated windows, heated seats pull major amps from the battery Rich, the cold also knackers good consumption, if you don't believe me put the ign on and the HRW for 45 minutes and then try to start the car, absolute power suckers.

Heated windows, heated seats pull major amps from the battery Rich, the cold also knackers good consumption, if you don't believe me put the ign on and the HRW for 45 minutes and then try to start the car, absolute power suckers.

They do indeed but it's a big battery and the alternator doesn't try and recharge it all in one go so the effect on mpg is minimal bit like air con in summer less than 5% on my car so hardly significant

The alternator will attempt to supply all of the power for loads if it can so with the engine running the battery isn't really relevant. I'm not sure what spec is fitted, but typically you would expect around 140A machine. So at full output it can supply almost 1.7kW. A 140 PS engine is around 100kW so at full output the alternator is taking 1.7% of your engines power.

Heated seats are probably typically 80W each, heated rear window will be more than that. Normal headlamps are 55W each. Theres also the glow plugs and the increased effort starting because the oil is thicker though this is taken out of the battery and needs to be replaced. 

• Like 1