Advice on making greenline more comfortable

fabman

Hi there , love my Skoda superb greenline but find the ride a bit hard , anyone have any ideas for softening up the ride , I know it's lowered by 15 mm and has the sixteen inch wheels with special high rolling tyres.

Was thinking of changing them to 17" and putting the correct tyres on them that come on standard superb , any advice welcomed

• Like 1

I'd imagine the 16" alloys and high profile tyres will make the ride softer.

I've never heard of increasing the rim size to get a softer ride.

I'd be tempted to try some different tyres next time round?

• Like 1

What tyres do you have on the 16" rims?  I agree with Silver -  increasing to 17" definitely won't help.  I'm assuming you have 205/55/16s and the 17" with the standard factory tyre will be 225/45/17.  You will be decreasing the profile by 10.

I will check , tyre pressures tomorrow to see how high they are , I test drove estate when I was contemplating which to buy and that was a standard se on 17"s and normal suspension , it felt more comfortable so I guess it's down to the springs not being 15mm shorter .

Checked pressures today and they were as manufacturers spec of 2.4 bar front and 2.6 rear , so have let them down to by .2 of a bar front and rear to see if that helps with ride quality .

Checked pressures today and they were as manufacturers spec of 2.4 bar front and 2.6 rear , so have let them down to by .2 of a bar front and rear to see if that helps with ride quality .

Not trying to open a can of worms as this topic has been debate before but I never run my tyres to the manufacturers recommended pressures.  Recommended pressures are usually quite high and I always found the ride unbearable even on 16s and 17s when the tyres are around 2.4/2.5bar+.  I keep them at 2.1 all round and my dealer recommends that also.  It does depend on driving conditions/load etc of course.  I think you will notice a difference and they certainly won't be under-inflated at that.

Not trying to open a can of worms as this topic has been debate before but I never run my tyres to the manufacturers recommended pressures.  Recommended pressures are usually quite high and I always found the ride unbearable even on 16s and 17s when the tyres are around 2.4/2.5bar+.  I keep them at 2.1 all round and my dealer recommends that also.  It does depend on driving conditions/load etc of course.  I think you will notice a difference and they certainly won't be under-inflated at that.

Thanks for that superb170 , I will take it for drive tomorrow and hopefully it will be better even on our poorly maintained island roads .

Been out this morning for drive after setting tyre pressures to 2.1 all round , it certainly has made a massive difference to ride quality , thanks for feedback , that's why forums are so good:)

post-4543-0-51854500-1422190821_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Reducing pressures significantly can lead to higher wear, raise fuel consumption and gives a greater risk of both punctures and blowouts at high speed as the tyres can overheat quite quickly. Whether a 20% reduction in pressure would be regarded as significant is a judgement only you can make. Personally, I wouldn't risk it if I were going on a long motorway journey, indeed I often raise the pressures a few psi if travelling any distance especially as on motorways the ride even on 18" wheels is excellent

Edited by Bristolf2b
  • Like 1

I´m running 2.8 bar in the front wheels, and 2.6 in the rear wheels for better economy. My tyre wear is VERY low (96000 km, still factory supplied Continental PremiumContact2E), so I recommend that. The ride is perfect - for me.

• Like 1

Hi im looking for some advice please. I have 2011 superb 1.6 cr diesel 85k . I have the car from 1 yr and the car was very hard in the back with passengers.unbearable almost. I brought it to my mechanic and he said everything wasfine.the car has passed nct/mot every year no problems. To look at the car the back seems almost lower than the front. Really annoying as some ramps catch the bottom of the car.also the back tyres are wearing on the inside.

any advice would be appreciated. 

Ive read also that my greenline model is lower for fuel economy. Is this true and if so could i need shocks/springs from a different model to improve comfort and height needed with a full load to avoid hitting ramps etc.

thanks for any info 

• Like 1

I´m running 2.8 bar in the front wheels, and 2.6 in the rear wheels for better economy. My tyre wear is VERY low (96000 km, still factory supplied Continental PremiumContact2E), so I recommend that. The ride is perfect - for me.

Hi I know roads in Denmark are very straight and much better quality than the ones here on Isle of Wight so I guess running that air pressure would be a good idea , over here I would lose my teeth after 10 miles I reckon