Cave oil consumption new fix updated two days ago by vag

Its the latest "fix", on the CAVE engines there are "oil squirters" mounted just above the crank and point under the piston skirts and spray the pistons from underneath with oil to cool them. This "fix" fits bigger ones I think.

There is a thread and post on here last week from one of the Australian Members on the 'Squirters',

So that is lovely,

tell Skoda /VW to do that upgrade on the Replacement Engines they are building,

but as for their Time Wasting Fixes on Well Used engines,

this is an attempt at reducing costs while still causing disruption to owners, and you have to trust to the workshop doing the Modifications.

Maybe they should keep the Squirters for nearly new engines, not ones build before September 2012.

That's a new one, never come across the spray jets needing replacing.

I'm sure George will be along shortly to confirm, but it could be a new 'fix' that VAG are trying to avoid costly engine replacements.

Oz mentioned this fix the other week.

Yes, let VW try on their own Skodas cars, 

if the car is over 2 1/2 years old on the Original Engine or a Replacement,

let them get a New / Refurbished engine in.

Only 1,800 CAVE vRS in the UK and they already replaced several hundred engines & rebuilt early ones,

1,200 CTHE.

Then another 4,000 132-136 kw Twinchargers from Audi, Seat & VW 

Hundreds of their engines also already replaced.

The Squirters where talked about 12 months ago, and the 2nd Breather Mod,

& they have so few cars in Australia.

So if VW / Skoda have Tests & Factual Evidence on the Upgrade of Squirters, Breather Mods & ECU Updates 

on 2 1/2 year old to 4 1/2 year old engines,

they might publish them.

VW can Give the UK Owners of the 3,000 MK2 vRS Fabia a Letter Explaining the Need for this Modification 

on some engines.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Took my car in today for a breather Pipe fix and was shocked to find out they have to have my car back next week to change the "oil spray jets" in the engine , what are your thoughts do you think this might fix the problem once and for all

I had read about the oil jets fix in that Australian forum some months ago and indeed, from what people are reporting, it does sound as the long-awaited oil consumption fix. Just didn't want to post this before more people confirmed it actually works. So now that the fix has made it to UK dealers I guess we'll start hearing from Brisky members whether it actually sorts out their oil issues or not.

Out of interest, what has your consumption been so far? We all know the breather mod is a complete waste of time, I am surprised they are still instructed to apply it.

If a Skoda Dealer or Skoda UK suggest this Mod on a car soon to go out of Warranty,

Ask them if they are going to extend the Warranty on your car & other Cars out of Warranty,

& offer this Mod on All Cars in and out of Warranty, because they must now know what their Design & Manufacturing Errors 

were 2009 to 2012.

So VW Error, VW to put all cars/engines right at their cost.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/316753-fabia-vrs-oil-consumptionwhat-is-acceptable/page-12

see post #351 page 12

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I had read about the oil jets fix in that Australian forum some months ago and indeed, from what people are reporting, it does sound as the long-awaited oil consumption fix. Just didn't want to post this before more people confirmed it actually works. So now that the fix has made it to UK dealers I guess we'll start hearing from Brisky members whether it actually sorts out their oil issues or not.

Out of interest, what has your consumption been so far? We all know the breather mod is a complete waste of time, I am surprised they are still instructed to apply it.

i haven't been given the print out of the result's yet I'm hoping and praying it doesn't work as they told me in the workshop i get a brand spanking new uprated engine if it fails and my car is just above the factory specifications at the moment

If a Skoda Dealer or Skoda UK suggest this Mod on a car soon to go out of Warranty,

Ask them if they are going to extend the Warranty on your car & other Cars out of Warranty,

& offer this Mod on All Cars in and out of Warranty, because they must now know what their Design & Manufacturing Errors 

were 2009 to 2012.

So VW Error, VW to put all cars/engines right at their cost.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/316753-fabia-vrs-oil-consumptionwhat-is-acceptable/page-12

see post #351 page 12

surely if we all clobbered together we can get a nice legal case going against VAG? think of the car engines out of warranty faulty and VAG knew of the issues ?

On you go.

Get an Independent Engineers Report on the Engine and start legal proceedings against Skoda UK or the Volkswagen Group.

You might just get a New Engine (or Refurbished from the Factory) before the end of February.

Or they might even take the car in and refund you.

Maybe you will have to sign a Confidentiality Agreement, who knows.

What ever you do,

have Skoda UK Customer Services confirm all actions being taken in writing.

The Acceptable Tolerances, OIl Usage & actions they are taking to rectify any faults in Design, Manufacturing, Materials or Workmanship.

RRG skoda rochdale are terrific best garage I've ever dealt with will be getting any car i get in the future from them, they are happy to replace the engine its skoda UK who keep coming up with all these different fixes trying to avoid a hefty bill 

• Like 3

This must be Friday,

because every Friday in the Briskoda Fabia MK2 section there are posts that some Skoda UK Customer Services Managers 

or Senior Executives might read if their name appears.

So lets hope ALASDAIR STEWART BRAND MANAGER SKODA UK is aware there are still Fabia MK2 owners having 

warranty issues because of Manufacturing & Design Faults after the cars are discontinued.

Busy week & next Weekend for the Skoda Media Department as they launch the 'All New 3rd Generation Fabia' in the UK.

Lets hope any snagging faults are fixed quickly with those.

• Like 1

i haven't been given the print out of the result's yet I'm hoping and praying it doesn't work as they told me in the workshop i get a brand spanking new uprated engine if it fails and my car is just above the factory specifications at the moment

Let's see because that may mean the end of the single most worrying issue of these engines. If upgraded oil spray jets can actually fix your oil issue why bother with engine replacement? Sure I know it may feel better but then there's been a few cases where even replacement engines suffered from high oil consumption so if there is a definitive solution out already, (one much simpler than an engine replacement) I'd rather go with it. I mean you can always go back and say "new jets didn't change a thing so where's that new engine?" should that be the case.

Edited by newbie69

Let's see because that may mean the end of the single most worrying issue of these engines. If upgraded oil spray jets can actually fix your oil issue why bother with engine replacement? Sure I know it may feel better but then there's been a few cases where even replacement engines suffered from high oil consumption so if there is a definitive solution out already, (one much simpler than an engine replacement) I'd rather go with it. I mean you can always go back and say "new jets didn't change a thing so where's that new engine?" should that be the case.

off reading the other forum these spray jets just minimise the oil consumption they dont completely fix the issue therefore your engine is still burning oil something which engines shouldn't do 

Obviously the 'New Engines' should have 'The Fix'  off the Production line.

But 2010-2012/13 VW put our Replacement engines the same as the CAVE that Failed.

& some Failed again.

Then CTHE, and maybe an Upgraded CAVE went in as a REplacement, maybe not.

VW / Skoda / SEAT / Audi should have told the Owners, what the Mod is, what the ECU update is,

Even said,  Do you want 'NEW SQUIRTERS', 

We spoke about Squirters in 2012 on here.

But there are members here,

and none members with Supercharged & Turbo Charged engines built in the same factory as yours,

between 2009-2012 and then later ones that use just the amount of oil that is expected, as VW say,

for Driving Conditions & Styles.

The subject here really is Oil Drinkers,

& then VWG Dealership or Technical Staff that Quote 0.5 liters in 621 miles (1000 km) is OK.

then ones that are really not clued and say 1 litre per 1000 km is OK.

There are bad engines, VW Built Them, and they know what was wrong.

They knew 3 years ago what was wrong.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

They wish the problem would go away, and it would have if they had talked to Owners, said 

'Houston we have a problem, come on down and we will sort it out.'

But they never did.

Edited by goneoffSKi

off reading the other forum these spray jets just minimise the oil consumption they dont completely fix the issue therefore your engine is still burning oil something which engines shouldn't do

How much damage has been done to your engine already.Can Skoda UK QUANTIFY IT IN DETAIL .

As George says, will they be willing to extend the warranty for 2 more years, if they are that confident!!??

Edited by vrskeith

If they were "bad" engines they would all go wrong , they are complicated troublesome engines with variable reliability , seems a common theme with many VAG engines

the sprayer may or may not solve the problem what I'm saying is surely this much oil usage will burn vavles mess up the CAT and in turn will have done some damage to my engine so why wouldn't i want a new engine surely everyone on this forum would want a newer uprated engine 

the sprayer may or may not solve the problem what I'm saying is surely this much oil usage will burn vavles mess up the CAT and in turn will have done some damage to my engine so why wouldn't i want a new engine surely everyone on this forum would want a newer uprated engine 

Not saying you shouldn't have a new engine but no telling if that engine will fair any better if they don't understand the cause.

I'm certainly none the wiser what actually causes this issue as some cars have it and other don't (or it hasn't started yet).

If it was a faulty part or batch of parts it would have been fixed long ago. If it was the design we'd all have it. Why does yours burn oil and mine doesn't (touch wood) unless mines already had a new engine/replacement parts.

Everyone does not need a New Engine, if they happened to get a good one from the VW Lottery,

and the right plugs and the Software Update.

But if the car has had an engine that has been or is using oil at 2, 3, 4 year old, and with 30,000 miles,

then trying to sort it out now is a bit late.

Skoda / VW's job to own up and sort the issues.

VW know what the issues were, 

They had to so that they could produce the Revised the Engines in 2012 because of the Issues, and also they produced a new Engine Management /MAP, 

They put the New Revised engines in the 2013 Seat Ibiza, after first putting them in the Fabia, Polo & A1.

They still got it wrong with some of the early CTHE engines.

Edited by goneoffSKi