Cave oil consumption new fix updated two days ago by vag

Any answer to that?

Ask Dealer /Service to enlighten you as to the "New", if different VAG PROCEDURE/PROCESS /PROTOCOL FOR CHECKING AND RESOLVING HIGH OIL CONSUMPTION.

WHAT DO THEY DO ABOUT DAMAGE ALREADY DONE TO THE ENGINE.

COULD THIS BE A "Service Campaign" or a "Recall" or Design engineered /R&D FIX. Supported by evidence, with statistical repairs quantified before action of this repair/fix.

Edited by vrskeith

Low cost "fudge fix" to mitigate full engine replacement /warranty costs, of replacement engine at £4500.

Will VAG /Skoda be extending warranty for this new fix?

• 1 month later...

Thomasaspin,

When will your new engine be installed?

I'm hoping on next week new engine was ordered from Belgium and needed to be freighted in so was taking its time but should be with the garage by now will give them a call tomorrow looks like ill be one of the last CAVE engines to be getting replaced as warranty will be running down on them by now 

Theres definetly something not right but im not so sure that it will be as easy as changing a mechanical part. You cant say its poor quality or tolerances when most cars are good but some are bad and the parts come from The same factory, couple that with the fact there are cars running a lower power map that dont share the issues and the fact there seems to ve a direct correlation between how a cars is used and the oil it uses.

Its pretty obvious whatever causes the problem is there on all cars but its the vehicles use that matters in most cases.

Now I used to work in an alfa dealer, long story short that very expensive seleium fully synthetic oil you got billed for wasnt realy what you got. You did get good oil but not what you thought. Whos to say that all dealers are putting in whats meant to go in? Not just 10w40 semi from the pumps?

Its obviously an inherrent issue that vw cant get a sensible fix to suit all owners, they probably know that getting them realy hot helps but thats not easy for alot of owners and the dsg probably amplifies the issue by changing up quickly.

They cant tell us all to thrash the cars, because the rings seat better. The oil squirter thing may work, but its not realy the issue, the issue is probably multiple things to do with how the car is setup and show its self when certain conditions are met. If a driver in his own unique way meets too many conditions its going to **** up. If you dont then you are probably ok.

Just my thoughts.

the sprayer may or may not solve the problem what I'm saying is surely this much oil usage will burn vavles mess up the CAT and in turn will have done some damage to my engine so why wouldn't i want a new engine surely everyone on this forum would want a newer uprated engine 

What was the conclusion by your dealer, about using the Squirting  Jet solution, being spoken about and used in some instances.

What was the conclusion by your dealer, about using the Squirting Jet solution, being spoken about and used in some instances.

works In most 99 percent success rate they say mine was a different kettle of fish was running lumpy on idle had a misfire and no idea how much oil it used after the jets fitted , was speaking to the mechanic and asked him how come these use oil and he said while you are driving normally as you would commute to work there isn't enough pressure in the cylinders and thus it uses oil but when they are fully up to temp and or are being driven like they've been stolen the pressure in the cylinders is optimum and no oil is burnt

works In most 99 percent success rate they say mine was a different kettle of fish was running lumpy on idle had a misfire and no idea how much oil it used after the jets fitted , was speaking to the mechanic and asked him how come these use oil and he said while you are driving normally as you would commute to work there isn't enough pressure in the cylinders and thus it uses oil but when they are fully up to temp and or are being driven like they've been stolen the pressure in the cylinders is optimum and no oil is burnt

That does make sense to me , you do need gas pressure to seal the rings and push them hard against the cylinder wall , if this doesn't happen then the bores can glaze and oil usage ensue

I'm hoping on next week new engine was ordered from Belgium and needed to be freighted in so was taking its time but should be with the garage by now will give them a call tomorrow looks like ill be one of the last CAVE engines to be getting replaced as warranty will be running down on them by now

Engine arrived yet,date for installation fixed?

Mine is one of the last CAVE engines i've done 1000 miles since purchase and i've noticed if i do long runs where the oil warms up it doesn't use anything and if i do some short town driving and the oil doesn't get to temperature, it uses oil, so far im about 3 bars away from the bottom of the dipstick where i was 3 bars from the top when i bought it, (just after it had its service) so im unsure the mechanical reasons why but the engine prefers hot runs to cold short drives.

Hope your issue gets resolved :)

• 2 weeks later...

thomasaspin,  

is your car now in for the new engine.?

Re the New Squirter Fix,

& the latest Breathers, Breather Valves or other Skoda / VW simple solutions to a rather bigger problem for some.

?

Anyone got a car currently undergoing Trials of the VW Fixes?

• Like 1

Harking back to a post made by Le bron where he quoted a helpful analysis by Mongo, and a post thereafter from another poster, that in one respect they appear to be correct with a replacement engine, that being that ours is definitely a more thirsty beast than the one it replaced, and by some distance.

I've been saying since early on with our new/ replacement engine that I felt it was a cracker, plenty of poke about it and great noise but I can also confirm that 6k miles in it is definitely more thirsty. Think the average over the past 2500 miles will be 33(ish) but will check the display in morning and come back, the previous engine was averaging closer to 38. We have yet to see above 35.8 on the new engine.

Latest oil check shows that the level has finally shifted, but thankfully not much at all, and that's taken over 6k to do so we're happy with that. Car due in for service now, minor service it appears.

And in closing, filled up from almost empty this morning with Shell VPower Nitro and the wee car appears to like it, going like a train on it. Very responsive. 

Overall happy with car, happy with engine, hoping mpg starts to improve but pleased that I no longer need to know where the cheapest places are to buy oil for it.

• Like 2

Good news folks the skoda is now in very good hands in the garage having open heart surgery have a lovely little citigo till the work is done it even has a racing stripe down the middle , (surely that gives it 20 more bhp?) will let everyone no about the engine replacement should have a CTHE in there by next week :) 

• Like 3

My question to this apparent fix is. If this is only a recent finding does this mean people who have had their engines replaced won't have these uprated sprayers?

If not then for a small price of €20 I'll be straight to Škoda to inquire about getting these fitted to reduce the risk of having further engine problems.

• Like 3

My question to this apparent fix is. If this is only a recent finding does this mean people who have had their engines replaced won't have these uprated sprayers?

If not then for a small price of €20 I'll be straight to Škoda to inquire about getting these fitted to reduce the risk of having further engine problems.

Are they being subscribed for CAVE spec engines only or and or CAVE modified to CTHE spec.

i.e. the refurbished replacement units, that have been used in the warranty replacement programme.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea, This is my question. I've only recently had my engine done and would like to know if these new sprayers were fitted or not. If not i'd like to get them fitted. 

Might be worth a call to the dealer who replaced my engine. 

I have absolutely no idea, This is my question. I've only recently had my engine done and would like to know if these new sprayers were fitted or not. If not i'd like to get them fitted. 

Might be worth a call to the dealer who replaced my engine.

Or Skoda CSUK TECHNICAL

daz4142,

Please ask the Dealer or Skoda UK HQ @ MK to confirm for you the Details of the engine they did Supply & Fit.

Where Built, When Built,  to which Spec,  and to what ECU Software Date of Upgrade.

It should be a simply thing for Skoda (VW) to supply information on from the Engines Unique Identification Number.

So we will then know what Pistons, Rings / scrapers,  Squirters etc are on your Replacement engine.

It is your property, and no reason you should not know the spec of the engine, and if it now carries the same Engine Number as the Original, 

or there is a 'New Engine' fitted with new Engine (VIN) Numbers and Spec.

• Like 2

I'm doing an oil consumption test at the moment and my dealer is talking breather mod and oil jets. I have a sept 12 build car CTHE.

I'm doing an oil consumption test at the moment and my dealer is talking breather mod and oil jets. I have a sept 12 build car CTHE.

Just follow the process and procedure with the dealer,but document you case DETAIL with Skoda AUS CS in writing(COPY TO DEALER) under your allocated Case No.

Edited by vrskeith

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my oil check done 14,000 miles CTHE vRS engine.

Dealer says way outside spec.and will contact Skoda UK tomorrow to decide if they will try spray jets and ECU update, or go for engine replacement.

Sounds to me like VAG don't have an answer to the 1.4 TSI problems and are straw clutching.

Not sure I like the spray jet solution of running the pistons hotter.

Rings seal the pistons and I think there may be a risk of seizures,but,what do I know.

Anyway the car is under warranty and I am sure of a favourable last 12 months of ownership.

Then it will be a Leon 1.8 SC FR DSG. 

• Like 1