Cave oil consumption new fix updated two days ago by vag

My car has the new squirters fitted; took 2 days. Car returned, exhaust light came on immediately, car ran like a pig, returned car to the garage.

So no progress yet.

Dealer took another day to fix the car and it is now running sweetly.  I will be monitoring oil usage until my new Seat Leon 1.8 Sport Coupe DSG arrives in July; the ultimate oil usage fix.

• Like 2

Initial report for the record....

I approached the local dealer about the squirters today, which they knew about but said is "normally" only for cars that fail the old 0.5L/1000km routine.

Seeing as I have a history of servicing (and questions about oil use) at the dealer, they decided I should do another oil consumption test (1000km), which I said was pointless as I know it will pass.

The "service adviser" suggested it be done anyway to see how close it is to failing, so there would be some ammunition for taking to Skoda Australia, who she seemed to think are quite reasonable about this sort of thing (I haven't had any real complaints to this point, to be fair). She also said it seemed the squirters were the best "fix" so far, and was being mostly used in cases where engines used to be changed. A "couple" of cars had been done with good results - still some oil use, but much reduced.

Given DanielD's results, I'm keen for this to go ahead. I've used about 11L in 37,000km, and about 2L in 8000km since breather mod 2. Something like 1L in 8-10,000km would be acceptable to me.

• Like 2

"A Couple".  might be nearer the mark than the,  "99% of those done have been a success."

'Normally only for those that have failed the 0.5 litres of oil used in 1000 km'  is interesting,

the Volkswagen Group could easily come up with how many of those there have been 2009-2015 World Wide.

• Like 2

There wouldn't be any more than 50 Fabia RS's in Western Australia, so they may well only have done a "couple" since the squirters became the No. 1 solution during the last few months.

I would guess-timate there have been 10 times as many Polo GTI's sold, so it may well be a different story at the VW dealers. Then again, as VW Australia has (sometimes unhealthy) control over Skoda Oz, you would think some of the intelligence has been passed along.

It would surely be cheaper in the long run - and, more importantly, better for customer satisfaction and brand reputation - to do this change first rather than do repeated oil consumption tests and changes, not to mention breather mods etc.

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 2

Given DanielD's results, I'm keen for this to go ahead. I've used about 11L in 37,000km, and about 2L in 8000km since breather mod 2. Something like 1L in 8-10,000km would be acceptable to me.

Oz push them to get it done. They didn't even do a oil consumption test on my car. Skoda just told them to put in the new squirters. I had reported 7L in 10,000kms when we first started talking to the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Did they tell you what they had to do to getting running correctly?

Enjoy the new car when it arrives.

There was 2 pages of notes on the engineers report, but I didn't take a copy.

• Like 1

Follow up from my 'squirters' fix; the car has burnt no oil since the work and continues to run like a dream.

Probably 300 miles, so will keep you posted.

Did you ask for a warranty extension - just in case internal damage has been done?

My car had a type of oil consumption test done. I told my dealer how much it used in 1000kms. It was about 700ml and it had been using around that amount consistently. I went for a highway drive of about 700kms and it used about 50ml. There is a lot to be said about a good blast on the open road, loaded up with 3 adults and luggage to get the engine working. Anyway, the car went in for some type of ECU update. I'm not sure what they did to it but it was like a new car. Very crisp and nice gear changes. I suspect they changed the plugs as the car cold idles like it was when new. Even better still, I get some new oil jets (squirters) next month and it was the service manager that said he wanted it done. Can't complain with good service like that!!

• Like 1

Thomaspin.   Confused,

are you talking about tonyvrs's new mods on the engine,?

you have a new engine fitted after oil squirters not working do you not.  & surely that new engine supplied this year had the latest squirters.

As to the squirters (oil spray jets) doing the job, then the Pressures & Temperatures in the Cylinders should be more equal and  the 

Software updates should have the fueling issues improved.

Well, I've been approved for the new oil jets. They seem to think the car used 1.2L over 1200km. My suspicion is it wasn't filled to the full 3.6L at the start of the test, as the new service adviser mentioned "2.4L was weighed out". I hadn't bothered doing a top up before I went in, so it may have been down a few hundred mls. Still seems too high, though I've noticed the levels go down faster as the total volume decreases. Anyway, it's booked for 2 days next week. My understanding was that it was a one day job, but I'm happy to avoid a rush job. I will report on the results when I have some data.

• Like 1

Weight of oil in at the start of the test should be no less than 3085 Grams. (3.6 x 857 grams)

If they then drain it after getting it to operating temperature & out comes 2.4 litres it will weigh 2056.8 Grams.

(3 litres out 2571 grams)

Then if it does the mileage they want it to, then they drain it after it has been up to the operating temperature and is sitting 

as it was at the start of the test, ie on the same ramp,

the difference between 2.4 litres (2056.8 Grams ) and say 1.9 litres drained (1628.3 grams)  ie 0.5 Litres (428.5 grams) 

is the Result of the Oil Consumed over that distance.

Multiplying to get to 1000 km if you only covered 300 km is rubbish, because as it used more oil over time,

it might actually use it quicker between the first 1000 km, and the next 1000 km.

They either do it accurately or they might as well not bother.

Usually the result is pi55 anyway, done accurately or not.

(where some plonker thinks 1 litre of engine oil weighs 1000 grams you can have no faith in the test.)

This test in the Link was obviously carried out by a Plonker that then officially showed they were a Plonker.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Well, I've been approved for the new oil jets. They seem to think the car used 1.2L over 1200km. My suspicion is it wasn't filled to the full 3.6L at the start of the test, as the new service adviser mentioned "2.4L was weighed out". I hadn't bothered doing a top up before I went in, so it may have been down a few hundred mls. Still seems too high, though I've noticed the levels go down faster as the total volume decreases. Anyway, it's booked for 2 days next week. My understanding was that it was a one day job, but I'm happy to avoid a rush job. I will report on the results when I have some data.

Good to hear, oil jets are a proven fix. Sorry I haven't followed but how much was yours to begin with? I didn't know you were having an oil issue.

• Like 1

?

Are they a proven Fix in a 1.4TSI Twincharger built between 2009-2012 that was a Officially Tested  Oil User.?

?

Who has one that has covered say 3,000 miles since the new Oil Spray Jets have been fitted to a CAVE engine?

Yes they are. Plenty of CAVE Polo GTIs and Cupras that have confirmed it worked for all of them on FB and other forums. It's just that if they car is completely untouched, dealers might also add all previous mods to the work, that's what they told me here in Sweden. So it's a list of 3 things iirc, breather mod, piping, new software and then oil jets. Even though it's basically the jets that do the difference and If I was doing mine under my own cost I would deliberately skip the first two and just have the jets replaced.

• Like 2

Are these owners on Facebook getting it done under Manufactures Warranty on CAVE Engines or having to pay for it?

Many CAVE Engine cars are out of Manufacturers Warranty since the Original Engines were no longer fitted at the factory late Summer 2012.

There are a few Briskoda Members currently with Oil Consumption issues & only aftermarket Warranties.

Some Warranty Providers will have nothing to do with dealing with Oil Users since it was a Known Issue with VW. 

Or so they are trying to say.

Good to hear, oil jets are a proven fix. Sorry I haven't followed but how much was yours to begin with? I didn't know you were having an oil issue.

Mine's been using anywhere between 2000 and 5000km per litre, averaging around 3000 over 39,000km, so technically a pass by Skoda/VW standards. Seeing all of the stories here and on VW Watercooled (Oz VW forum) about the jets working, I thought I'd ask the question: can I have some? They asked me to do a consumption test first, and somehow I failed it (not really sorry in this case), so Skoda Oz approved the job under warranty.

I went in prepared for an argument this afternoon only to have all the hot air drain out of me when they said Skoda had already given the go-ahead.  :D

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1