Disabling LED lights by rear view mirror

KBPhoto

Anyone know how to disable the interior LED's infront of the main interior lights by the rear view mirror?

I've had a number of opinions on when these LEDs should be on, and the consensus is that mine shouldn't.

I have a sunroof and the LEDs shine on the top of the mirror which causes quite a bright spot that is distracting me at night.

I've tried to live with it and also tried to disable it with VCDS.

Am I missing something?

I could physically cut one of the legs of the LED, but that goes against my attempts at making everything reversible.

That's the ones in on about.

Given that some cars have them but they are not on, I'm guessing that it's a software thing.

If I'm wrong, then it'll have to be tape or similar.

Are these the ones for the anti-dazzle rear view mirror I do not know but I had the idea that they only came on if you had the lights on auto

Correct about the mirror: I'll try the auto light thing, but seem to recall them always being on (although during daylight today they weren't).

The lights to which KB refers are not on the mirror itself which are for the auto dimming function on/off but the cats eyes down lighters which on most UK spec sunroof equipped Yetis do not light up.

Normally, they would not shine down on the mirror but with the light sensor at the back (front) of the mirror they end up in the wrong place relative to the mirror.

If they didn't shine on the top of the mirror then I'd like the way they gently illuminate the interior at night.

But their position in relation to the mirrors location means I get bright areas on top of the mirror frame.

It's the differences Aerofurb (and others) that makes me think there is something 'wrong' about mine and that its a software thing as opposed to different hardware.

Strange, I've never seen LEDs in mine and I have a sunroof. The only LEDs I've seen in mine are the 2 on the actual mirror itself.

They are at the front edge of the whole interior light mounting. Nearest the windscreen. You'll have to lean a long way forwards and look up to see them as they are deeply recessed and the holes small and not evident from the front seats.

Hi,

Mine were bothering me... I was considering inserting a cm long section of black drinking straw to direct the light.. You can get about the right dia to push fit I think.

Dunno if it would look daft...or even it it would work.

J

They are the led lights which provide "ambient lighting of the centre console" according to audi ! Dunno how skoda describe it.

Edited by billhook

They are the led lights which provide "ambient lighting of the centre console" according to audi ! Dunno how skoda describe it.

I know what they are and, if they didn't shine in the rear view mirror creating a distracting 'hot spot', I'd like it.

• 4 months later...

As above, two very small blobs of rolled blue or white-tac.

All but invisible and completely reversible then.

I think they are great but for those with the glass roof if shining on the mirror the above reply seems the simplest and most elegant.

Odd. My MY2012 yeti doesn't have them, at the time I was told it was because sunroof equipped cars didn't get them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Odd. My MY2012 yeti doesn't have them, at the time I was told it was because sunroof equipped cars didn't get them.

That's what I've been led to believe.

My Tig with sunroof had them and were referred to as "submarine lights" on the Tig Forum. When I got my Yeti, with pano sunroof, I found they didn't work and was told they shouldn't as they are closer to the mirror than in the Tig and would cause the problems you are having.

When I got my Yeti, with pano sunroof, I found they didn't work and was told they shouldn't as they are closer to the mirror than in the Tig and would cause the problems you are having.

Makes sense and matches what I was told as well.

I had another look yesterday and short of physically cutting one of the wires (legs) to the LED, I can't see any other way of doing it.

There's nothing in VCDS that I can see. I wonder if the dealer has something on their system that might turn them off?

No. But thanks.

I'd prefer to ask the dealer if they can do anything when it is next in for a service.

• Like 1

Had a good look at mine today and spotted for the first time the place where they would be if I didn't have a sunroof.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

We've got a 2014 build (FL) with Sunroof and the 'submarine' lights are fitted and working.

They are always on at night, and we really like the effect. Was interested to know though if you could turn it off (not that we want to), so might try turning off 'Auto' mode as someone else suggested.

Certainly no issues with glare or distraction off of the glass though.

No. But thanks.

I'd prefer to ask the dealer if they can do anything when it is next in for a service.

Sure the dealer will love to have the pleasure of charging you an hours labour to claim they have fixed, when in reality they will simply cut the wires.

If they are bothering you I would cut the wires.