Disabling LED lights by rear view mirror

KBPhoto

To expand on my earlier post (and has been mentioned on a number of previous threads on this subject over the years), the general consensus is that the 'submarine'/'cat's eyes' lights do not (should not!) illuminate on Yetis with the sun roof and the rain sensor/mirror combination.

The rain sensor causes the mirror position to move putting it right under the 'amabient' lights.

To expand on my earlier post (and has been mentioned on a number of previous threads on this subject over the years), the general consensus is that the 'submarine'/'cat's eyes' lights do not (should not!) illuminate on Yetis with the sun roof and the rain sensor/mirror combination.

The rain sensor causes the mirror position to move putting it right under the 'amabient' lights.

But some seemingly do, like mine.

All three TIBETs have had sunroofs and rain sensors and none have had working cat's eyes.

TIBET I was one of the first Elegance CR170s in the UK, TIBET II was the same spec and TIBET III is a FL L&K CR170 - so I've pretty much covered the Yeti production through the years - and still no lights!

As I mentioned, the subject has come up many times dating back to 2009/10. We decided it was a combination of roof, rain sensor and may even be the type of alarm installation - different types for different markets (ie country).

They are always on at night, and we really like the effect. Was interested to know though if you could turn it off (not that we want to), so might try turning off 'Auto' mode as someone else suggested.

Certainly no issues with glare or distraction off of the glass though.

I've tried turning 'Auto' off and they are still on...

The distraction, for me, is the bright spot on top of the mirror frame which extends down the front of the mirror glass.

The right hand light is less of an issue as it largely clears the mirror frame.

We've got a 2014 build (FL) with Sunroof and the 'submarine' lights are fitted and working.

They are always on at night, and we really like the effect. Was interested to know though if you could turn it off (not that we want to), so might try turning off 'Auto' mode as someone else suggested.

Certainly no issues with glare or distraction off of the glass though.

The distraction, for me, is the bright spot on top of the mirror frame which extends down the front of the mirror glass.

The right hand light is less of an issue as it largely clears the mirror frame.

Can you both post a photo with the lights on showing where they shine please.

It

Why does yours have a green light under it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shows that the auto-dipping mirror is switched on.

Does yours not have a button underneath to switch it on?

Edited by Urrell
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

It's been a while - but I'm back on top of things (almost).

It seems there are two part number listed for a Yeti from 27.07.2009 >> and both state "Interior and reading light for vehicles with sliding roof for vehicles with alarm system"

There is 3T0947105F and 5L0947105.

Does anyone know what the difference is? Is one from a Super (the 5L0 one) and the other a Yeti (3T0)?

Does one have cat eye lights enabled and the other not?

I like how the little LEDs illuminate the interior at night, but can't get to like them shining on the mirror frame.

May I ask why it looks like you are going to change the mirror housing to one without the "Cats Eyes" when they could be blanked off with two small pieces of a suitably coloured blu-tac or something similar that could be removed if needed?

I don't believe they can be switched off as they are part of the interior lighting (they provide an ambient glow to the centre console) and are common on many cars. On my Yetis they never shined on the mirror like that though. Could it be the design of that panel when you have a sun roof that has resulted in them being slightly further forward? I think your only option is to cover them up. Black Sharpie perhaps?

If you remove the area where the glasses holder goes, and then the next bit forward of it, so you get to where the large interior lights are, you will find the wiring for the cats eyes. If I remember rightly there is a plug/connection there that might sort this out.

They are NOT in the canbus system.

I don't believe they can be switched off as they are part of the interior lighting (they provide an ambient glow to the centre console) and are common on many cars. On my Yetis they never shined on the mirror like that though. Could it be the design of that panel when you have a sun roof that has resulted in them being slightly further forward? I think your only option is to cover them up. Black Sharpie perhaps?

The general consensus is that they should be there, but not activated, if the sunroof is in place for exactly the reason I am finding.

If you remove the area where the glasses holder goes, and then the next bit forward of it, so you get to where the large interior lights are, you will find the wiring for the cats eyes. If I remember rightly there is a plug/connection there that might sort this out.

They are NOT in the canbus system.

I've already had the panel out (twice) to check for connections that could be unplugged. But only the W5W bulbs for the courtesy lights have plugs.

There is possibly a wire (a leg of the LED) that could be cut...

As you like the effect of the lights could you fabricate a bit of a shade and attach it to the top of the mirror and fix it with double-sided tape or Velcro?

A bit of a faff as you would need to find a bit of trim from somewhere with a nice finished edge but it's another option.

I think we've discussed it before but I have owned three Yetis with sunroofs: two pre-FL Elegance CR170 (the first being possibly the first in the UK) and the current CR170 L&K FL - so a fair spread on the ages.

All have had identical roof switch/alarm panels and light sensor/interior mirror unit. On all three, they have also had cats eyes that do not illuminate. If they did, because of the position of the light sensor/interior mirror used on the Yeti when combined with the sunroof control panel, the cats eyes are in the 'wrong' place and would shine on the mirror so have been disabled at birth.

I reckon by my experience and all the previous threads on the cats eyes, you can take it that yours is, er, different! Be that by a strange build or a previous owner's DIY mod. If you don't want them to work - I'd do what others say, either cover them up or take the panel down and snip the wires.... 

Looks like the reflection is because the interior mirror is placed high up on the windscreen.

On my Yeti the mirror is lower down and the 2 LED's do not shine on the mirror.

I guess the easy way out is to either plug the holes with blue tack,

or cover the holes with a small piece of tape as close to the roof colour as possible.

OFGS! Hasn't this been done to death yet?  Just cover them up with tiny blobs of Blu-Tak.. 30 second job and almost instantly reversible if necessary.  Then we can get back to working for world peace....