EGR vacuum hose about to bite the dust

jimbof

Anyone else having this issue?  In two places on the hose which goes into the top of the EGR, the hard plastic edge of the engine "beauty" cover is doing a fab job of cutting though the vacuum hose.  not quite through yet, but will be soon.

Genius bit of design, that.

• Like 1

I have been having a good look at my vac hoses, fuel lines, and the whole thing is just a massive cluster...

In fact I found a braided vacuum hose that comes out of an N75 (I think) and it feels very flimsy there, as if the insides have perished and all that is holding the vacuum is the braiding itself.. oops.

I am ordering some imminently.

• Like 1

It seems there are two different vac hoses under my bonnet (v6) - 4mm ID and 6mm ID.  The 6mm ones seem OK, so I am leaving them alone, but I have bought some 4mm/9mm OD silicone vac hoses and suitable band clips to replace the current tie wraps or no tie wraps at all on many connections.  :sweat:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, just trying to replace the EGR top vacuum hose.  I can get a new hose in no problem (I bought what is supposed to be the correct hose from TPS - it is now a reinforced hose instead of a squishy one) - however no matter how I route it it seems it will end up catching on some edge or other of the engine cover.  Is this just a case of engine cover designed by the apprentice's mate, or am I missing a trick that the garage missed also when they replaced the EGR valve about 80,000 miles ago?

Figured out what is going on here; the EGR hose is only held in the correct position when the car is new by the thin layer of foam on the underside of the engine cover. As this ages and flakes away the hose sits closer to the back edge of the EGR hole in the cover and the back edge of the cover near the EGR hole, until eventually it is cutting through.

I guess it can be fixed in a few ways:

1) cut away the plastic of the engine cover to clear the hose properly

2) add some more padding to the underside of the engine cover

3) put something around the hose to make it thicker at the point it contacts the foam - this would have the same effect as thicker foam.

I've done 1).

Mine split and I lost all boost, £20 for one from a VAG breakers and new one on order for about £75.

Just realised your talking about vac hoses!

Edited by bryan350lc