so this happened....

Dont know if you can see the pictures but if you can yesterday i thought id remove my bumpstrips as i think the look awful. However as i started to take them of (very carefully) it appeared that the paint underneath had blistered. now i thought this might have been me with the heat gun so i tried without a heat gun of another one and it was exactly the same. 

so Im now debating trying to fit some mk4 golf bumpstrips? has anyone done this. its that or il have to get both doors painted.

cheers  

post-88774-0-28329600-1422179207_thumb.jpgpost-88774-0-86008000-1422179215_thumb.jpg

For stuff like this dental floss works really well as like a cheese wire behind the trim. Also good for removing badges.

Looks like you've just been unlucky!

i know its bad luck! and phil i think it was already like it underneath. sam 

Mines done same, gone down to primer in places, ive just left it for moment as i cant afford to get it painted

and sam im in the same position as you thats why im thinking of putting mk4 bumpstrips as there alot smoother and colour coded compared to the fabia ones

i know its bad luck! and phil i think it was already like it underneath. sam 

and sam im in the same position as you thats why im thinking of putting mk4 bumpstrips as there alot smoother and colour coded compared to the fabia ones

I prefer it smoother looking and with it being such a mess underneath i wouldnt want to trap water inside it. Doesnt matter at moment cant see it under dirt anyway haha

Mine was the same, ended up buying new bump strips from skoda for £30 and had them sprayed to match the door handles, the paint's chipped a little on it now so the car is booked into the bodyshop for the 2nd as I'm having both sides of the car painted as I want the doors smooth.

Mine was the same, ended up buying new bump strips from skoda for £30 and had them sprayed to match the door handles, the paint's chipped a little on it now so the car is booked into the bodyshop for the 2nd as I'm having both sides of the car painted as I want the doors smooth.

Oh fair enough man! I just dont like how much the fabia ones stick out! Is your car silver by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh fair enough man! I just dont like how much the fabia ones stick out! Is your car silver by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah its silver, i'm the same as you, I was never 100% with the look of the car with the bump strips on so I'm running round without at the minute, can't wait for next monday!!

Im having both sides of the car painted so its going to be smooth and match the octavia silver handles I've got on at the minute!

i am very jealous! if you dont mind me asking how much is it costing to get painted? and are the door handles the same as a golf? 

i am very jealous! if you dont mind me asking how much is it costing to get painted? and are the door handles the same as a golf? 

No, not at all! The bodyshop I use I have put a bit of business their way, I had my brakes, 5 spiders(both sold) and colour coded bump strips done there in the past  they have said both sides and my current alloys for 550. The alloys won't be done until i put the porsche twists on and then I can have winter tyres on the standard alloys.

The handles, i believe the golf ones do fit however I bought a set of octavia ones just to make sure the colour was exactly the same.

No, not at all! The bodyshop I use I have put a bit of business their way, I had my brakes, 5 spiders(both sold) and colour coded bump strips done there in the past  they have said both sides and my current alloys for 550. The alloys won't be done until i put the porsche twists on and then I can have winter tyres on the standard alloys.

The handles, i believe the golf ones do fit however I bought a set of octavia ones just to make sure the colour was exactly the same.

thats not to bad a price. i will have to go and get some door handles all the little bits bug me! 

For stuff like this dental floss works really well as like a cheese wire behind the trim. Also good for removing badges.

Looks like you've just been unlucky!

Pour some fairly hot water over the bump strips before you do this as it will soften the adhesive and make the bump strips more pliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i would post a couple of pictures to show you my car now i've got it back from the painters and give you an idea if its what you want

This is how I first got it

IMG_2081_zps15d4ef12.jpg

I took the bump strips off like you did and discovered the paint:(

IMG_2169_zps413c0023.jpg

Then bought some octavia handles

IMG_2207_zps78ff4d80.jpg

Then had them fitted and colour coded bump strips put on

IMG_2273_zps28ee9000.jpg

IMG_2278_zps9e51a16b.jpg

About two months later they started to chip:(

IMG_2682_zpsea8275ed.jpg

IMG_2685_zpsde1b646c.jpg

So I took them off and ran round with bubbly paint for a couple of weeks!

Got the car back on Thursday and this is how it now looks!

IMG_2844_zps5fee23e6.jpg

IMG_2843_zps6bf693e1.jpg

IMG_2842_zps0b27ecf5.jpg

IMG_2841_zps0a88e779.jpg

I thought long and hard about doing the same to mine when I first got mine, but decided against it at the black helps break up all that silver once you colour code the door handles.

Glad I decided against it now tbh. Glad you're happy though :)

hey! mine didn't even come with bump strips (classic sdi) - lol
the black handles are driving me insane, when its abit warmer i'll be fitting the colour coded handles

Looks good!

Edited by SkUG