Replacement speakers

TDMusic

Hey, 

I have a 06 skoda fabia classic 1.2 HTP and I'm looking to upgrade from the stock speakers, the car isn't around me right now so i can't look at how easy it is, is it a matter of removing the grill or does more have to come off?

Also any recommendations for 2 cheap speakers? Anything is better than stock!

It's a door card off jobby and the orginal speakers are held in a spacer and riveted in drill em out and get some new spekers md spacers you can buy all you need off ebay but if you have electic windows you need to keep the depth below 65mm

I think everything is i sed is correct unless you have different door skins to the vrs

Hi there, door cards off and drilling out of the rivets that hold the stock speakers in place from what I've read on here so far. I've got the same job to do myself now I've fitted (completed today) my own after market head unit (10yr old Pioneer DEH-5630, it does MP3 CD's which is what I want). My passenger speaker has a nasty vibration with any amount of bass/volume being applied.

There's quite a few similar threads on here, you can find using the search function which have the info you need. I'll be looking again soon as I have some old 6.5" JBL components that I'll be fitting. I need to check if they'll fit with the adapters they came with or if I need deeper ones first.

Thread on front door card removal: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/96959-diy-door-sealing-tutorial-costs-less-than-l10/

Edited by SteveB84

You'll also need speaker rings, the ones made for a mk4 golf work well. And if I recall correctly the biggest you can get on the front doors is 6" but I could be wrong. No point changing the rear ones though, I did and it was a complete waste of time lol

Also don't forget to retrieve the little bits of rivet from inside the door after you've drilled out the old speakers or you may get and annoying rattle. Might be worth buying a few door card clips too as they are very brittle and smash to pieces when you get the door card off

Hope this helps :)

In my case here's what I did.

I installed 6.5" Morel Tempo 6 Componant Speakers (£95 virtually brand new just missing the tweeter covers from ebay). I removed the original Speakers including the plastic baffles and brought 2x 10mm MDF baffles per side, the difference from standard to the Morels is night and day. I wouldn't recommend installing a speakers that is any deeper than those because they will not clear the window reg and the door card, I just managed to squeeze them in.

I conected them to a DLS amp (£90 second hand from ebay)  which feeds them 150w per side and they absolutely love it. Also I have put some sound deadening on the door panel which help with resonance and mid bass and disconected the rears, they do very little other than mess up the sound stage.

Even though the bass is remarkably good from just the speakers, I also brought a Alpine 8" active sub and despite it's tiny size it packs a suprzing wallop. (£60 second hand from ebay) http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php/index.html/_/reviews/subwoofers/alpine-swe-815-active-subwoofer-with-wired-remo-r1381

Controlling in up front is a Alpine IDE-178BT (£140 second hand but brand new in it's packaging from ebay again). http://caraudiosecurity.com/ide-178bt-mecha-less-digital-media-receiver-with-bluetooth All I can say is i'm well happy with the results from not much outlay, don't be afraid to buy second hand and save yourself some money guys.

A7F10DEA-CBAF-4421-A50A-02D5A01FBE75_zps

Edited by theezenutz

I was hopeful of filling my boot with noise but the wife had other ideas and got herself pregnant which is the reason I bought mine as I had a lupo before and need more space

Yeah the Fabia boot is not very big but neither is the sub. I don't have kids but I do have an abundance of stuff that always manages to fill the space.

Started to save some money. I work as an audio engineer and the low end response from the stock speakers is just..awful! thanks for the pictures!

Your welcome.

The speaker choice is not the most important aspect, the most important is the quality of installation as you probably already know.

Use Mdf instead of plastic to mount the speakers and apply sound deadening, mainly to stop resonance as the design of the door its self is not so bad, they already did a reasonably good job of sealing the door unless you want to go audiophile quality.