Rust spots on lower door

triple7

Just washed the yeti and very surprised to see 2 rust spots on the drivers door. One in the centre of the bottom section and the other is the bottom corner of the door.

Yeti is a 2012 Urban, 27k miles. Under warranty until June.

Do I have a case for speaking to the dealer about this?

Pics aren't great. Ignore the hose pipe!

88D3694B-1258-4F17-BF68-386D9934E8C5.jpg

44F05235-E6D4-422E-9ACF-169D99C84C32.jpg

Join the club!

I have registered some blistering on the front bottom corner of the o/s rear door. 2012 white with 15000 miles

Spoke to the dealer last week and I am to take it in for a photo shoot and the await a decision from SUK

I am a little disappointed but not surprised given other reports on this forum

It is the first time in forty years of buying new cars that I have ever had to pursue a warranty chain for rust

I've just had mine done by SUK despite being a 2010 model as there was significant chipping to the flared rear edge of the doors and several spots of rust (not related to the stone chips) on both sides.

Glad they did as they offered to do the front doors as well at a discounted rate ('while it's in') of £550!

Despite that, they couldn't get the protective foils on correctly and i've got to 'give it 2 months' to see if the bubbles disappear...

Go back to your local dealer and complain about it. they'll test paint thickness (for previous repairs) and send pictures to SUk for final confirmation. As so many people have had the same issue, you're in with a very good chance of getting it under warranty.

• Like 1

I have no concerns that I will get it done under warranty it's just irritating to get done whilst I'm extremely busy

My motto is ' victory is certain....the timing less so'

I found a few paint blisters in june last year. See attached pdf.
My dealer said this would not be covered by the warranty. But since they also found some wear on the inner rear edge of front doors, they offered to respray the 4 side doors for free. Cost was ca NOK 24.000,-  (£ 2.050,-). In this process they also removed the rubber seal in front of the rear doors.
I then had to return the car two times for them to rectify the extremely poor respray job.

Lakkskader-medio2014.pdf

33q, don't get annoyed about 'time', ask for a courtesy car. It's not that urgent so you can wait a week or so, until one's available. Make sure your claim is noted/registered on the Dealer's system if it's getting near the end of the warranty.

Dealers usually have first class sprayshops handling this type of thing, try not to look critical but thoroughly check it after for paint match or runs. Maybe take a mate with experience when you collect it.

I know some have posted that their dealer is not particularly caring or efficient but I've nothing but praise for mine. The aftersales guy saw us to the exit door and held it open after our last service! I was in the Motor Trade 40 odd years and didn't see that before.

33q, don't get annoyed about 'time', ask for a courtesy car. It's not that urgent so you can wait a week or so, until one's available. Make sure your claim is noted/registered on the Dealer's system if it's getting near the end of the warranty.

Dealers usually have first class sprayshops handling this type of thing, try not to look critical but thoroughly check it after for paint match or runs. Maybe take a mate with experience when you collect it.

I know some have posted that their dealer is not particularly caring or efficient but I've nothing but praise for mine. The aftersales guy saw us to the exit door and held it open after our last service! I was in the Motor Trade 40 odd years and didn't see that before.

Believe me I'm not worried. I fully expect it will be done well. The problem with a courtesy car is that it will almost certainly not have a tow bar. And a car with a tow bar is what I need at the moment.

Visited dealer today. Areas photographed.....both sides and both doors need doing. Service advisor thought there may be a bulletin on this problem and indicated new seals at the front edge of the back doors may also be needed.

They use a local approved body shop and it is them that provide the courtesy car. I did jest it needed to have a tow bar and he tactfully advised me to ask the body shop. Perhaps I will

I still find it hard to understand how Skoda have so many problems in this day and age with water ingress,seals and (rusting door panels on the yeti) which has been a long known problem in particular,looking on the other sections of this forum like the Rapids doors filling with water which will eventually lead to rusting,I think these issues give the good range of Skoda models a big let down.I am on my second Skoda and no such problems but it's always in the back of my mind.

I still find it hard to understand how Skoda have so many problems in this day and age with water ingress,seals and (rusting door panels on the yeti) which has been a long known problem in particular,looking on the other sections of this forum like the Rapids doors filling with water which will eventually lead to rusting,I think these issues give the good range of Skoda models a big let down.I am on my second Skoda and no such problems but it's always in the back of my mind.

I think your response is a bit extreme as it is not a "long known problem" and is also only reported on a small number of Yetis (and other cars of all makes).

If it affects your car then it is a problem but hardly an epidemic.

Fred 

• Like 1

Fred,what you have to consider is that not every yeti owner in the world views this forum so of the ones with the rusty door problem that have highlighted the problem and posted on the forum it is a well known issue that has been going on for some time,so all ,some or none of the owners non viewing may have incurred the problem we just don't know.Prior to buying my yeti I viewed this forum for over a year whilst owning an Octavia blackline so I was aware then of the issue,yes I went ahead and bought a yeti because I realy liked it but it is an issue that Skoda has still not resolved but must be well aware of by the number of claims,some more than once,I have not seen any reports of rust/corrosion on the roof,bonnet ,boot hatch,or the front or rear wings so the issuing is always the doors,I'm not making it an extreme issue but it is an issue that WE on this forum are aware of and have been for some time,so for me it is an issue/problem I don't want.i can accept a mechanicle problem where a component can fail and require replacement,a dent or chip can be repaired but if panels have the known issue and have been re sprayed etc and still come back is an issue to me but if other owners are ok with the issue that's up to them.

• Like 3

Anyone know of a dealer who is aware of either a VAG or SUK bulletin,date and number as I have just been to my local dealer who says there is no such bulletin and these forums are not a true reflection of the product- I'm not surprised but is the cat out of the bag and it is damage limitation by treating us like mushrooms?

Just to pour a little more fuel on the debate, our 2012 Yeti started blistering at about 10 months old( no rust ) this was put right under warranty, all four lower doors were repainted, took two attempts to get a decent job but thats another story! the problem returned almost a year to the day, and again the Yeti went back in, Skoda UK got involved this time, the result being that all lower doors were repainted, apparently the dealers/Skoda stood the not inconsiderable cost! I have asked for some factory feedback, but all they will say is that is due to "external" factors, I did point out that non of our previous Skoda`s had this problem and we still live in the same place and use similar roads! so, wait and see what happens in the next 12 months. I can say that Skoda UK and DM Keith`s have been great in attending to the issue.

Interesting to note, is that I have seen other Yeti`s with blistering doors, maybe their owners haven`t noticed yet!

Anyone know of a dealer who is aware of either a VAG or SUK bulletin,date and number as I have just been to my local dealer who says there is no such bulletin and these forums are not a true reflection of the product- I'm not surprised but is the cat out of the bag and it is damage limitation by treating us like mushrooms?

That sounds like the dealer in Gloucester!!

Drive down into South Wales and talk to the dealers down there, especially Sinclairs in Swansea.