Rust spots on lower door

triple7

Llanigraham- spoke with Garry this morning he will help if my local dealer won't assist. He told me that I must claim before my 3 year paint warranty runs out in March, evidently the paint issue is not covered by the 12 year anti perforation warranty??????????????Any legal eagles owning a yeti or any Skoda with paint issues who can enlighten me? Perforation from within they say -so is "zinc inclusion" not from within? Perforation surely means from outside in or vice versa?

Garry is correct.

Perforation means there is a hole in the metal, from either direction, not a flaw in the paint.

Zinc inclusion is a flaw in the zinc coating that is put on before the car is primed and painted.

Get your car down to Swansea, get them to photograph it for SUK, and then it will be dealt with.

I suggest you also make a formal complaint to SUK about your local dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the paint blisters on my Yeti, jury's out with BLADE SKODA GLOUCESTER as dealer etiquette was called for. Warranty Claims manager says he had not heard or seen zinc inclusion blisters so I was not surprised by his diagnosis of YES YOU GOT IT "stone chips". Without prejudice will probably be order of the day now the claim is going in and I am hoping SUK will honour the paint warranty as so many have been mis diagnosed before. Never had a problem with my ROOMSTER or my PASSAT in my 10 years of loyalty to VAG/SUK .

Stone chip v paint blister.  Mis diagnosis. Logically I see stone chips on my car that have only taken off the paint revealing the anti corrosion primer underneath, NO RUST and NO BLISTERING. These stone chips have been caused by a hard object striking the front of the car at a great velocity. The side of my car, the doors to be precise have some advanced paint blisters and some just becoming visible. I fail to comprehend what object could have struck the door with such force that the paint and the anti corrosion layer were damaged sufficiently to cause rust blisters before the stone chips on the front of the car. I have tried to download pics of a stone chip and a blister for comparison.

Anyone with similar thoughts or reasoning?

Maybe as a layman my common sense is misguided.post-126476-0-76111600-1423732226_thumb.jpgpost-126476-0-15441600-1423732285_thumb.jpg

Skoda initially refused to authorise warranty on the worst of the two rear doors on my 61 plate Elegance DSG but strangely agreed to do the front doors ,which looked like road rash! The paint on the rear doors had obviously bubbled from the inside out and you could clearly see where more rust was beginning. However Benfield at Harrogate,who incidentally were not my original dealer persisted on my behalf and after a bit of a delay,all 4 doors were re-sprayed at the bottom. So far so good. The key is to not accept the first refusal because on previous occasions Skoda's first response has been to refuse e.g rusting rear brakes. I love my Yeti but since I've had it since new, both front shocks have failed and been replaced under warranty, the rear brake discs have also been replaced which is a bit disappointing in what is supposed to be a fairly rugged 4x4. I also near total brake failure when a hose at the front burst, fortunately at low speed. Whilst the split system is supposed to prevent total loss you soon learn that without fluid there is very little the system can do to overcome this.

Skoda initially refused to authorise warranty on the worst of the two rear doors on my 61 plate Elegance DSG but strangely agreed to do the front doors ,which looked like road rash! The paint on the rear doors had obviously bubbled from the inside out and you could clearly see where more rust was beginning. However Benfield at Harrogate,who incidentally were not my original dealer persisted on my behalf and after a bit of a delay,all 4 doors were re-sprayed at the bottom. So far so good. The key is to not accept the first refusal because on previous occasions Skoda's first response has been to refuse e.g rusting rear brakes. I love my Yeti but since I've had it since new, both front shocks have failed and been replaced under warranty, the rear brake discs have also been replaced which is a bit disappointing in what is supposed to be a fairly rugged 4x4. I also near total brake failure when a hose at the front burst, fortunately at low speed. Whilst the split system is supposed to prevent total loss you soon learn that without fluid there is very little the system can do to overcome this.

Just hoping the images BLADE GLOUCESTER took will be good enough to prove the point however the claims manager gave the impression I was wasting his time with "stone chips" but as you can see the "blister" on my less than 3yr old yeti is not a stone chip! I will persist as you suggest because if a refusal is forthcoming I will ask for a second opinion at a dealership aware of "zinc inclusions".

I had the same problem on my 110se in aqua blue on a 12 plate. I had the drivers door and the rear door resprayed under warranty at Sibury Skoda . They did a fantastic job, by the way, the repair was completely undetectable.

The main thing that concerned me, was, would the problem erupt [literally] in the same places again or in some other area of the bodywork and it was one of the main reasons for trading the car in earlier than I would otherwise.

Everyone is saying stuff like classic zinc inclusions etc. but what does that mean? I assume the bare steel is coated in a sort of anti-rust zinc coating before being painted, but I would love someone to tell me how an inclusion of zinc causes a problem, when clearly the whole surface is covered in the stuff :sweat:

• Like 1

I had the same problem on my 110se in aqua blue on a 12 plate. I had the drivers door and the rear door resprayed under warranty at Sibury Skoda . They did a fantastic job, by the way, the repair was completely undetectable.

The main thing that concerned me, was, would the problem erupt [literally] in the same places again or in some other area of the bodywork and it was one of the main reasons for trading the car in earlier than I would otherwise.

Everyone is saying stuff like classic zinc inclusions etc. but what does that mean? I assume the bare steel is coated in a sort of anti-rust zinc coating before being painted, but I would love someone to tell me how an inclusion of zinc causes a problem, when clearly the whole surface is covered in the stuff :sweat:

Just to add this from SKODA UK'S website , Quote

Paint and body warranty

All new vehicles supplied by ŠKODA Auto are provided with a three year unlimited mileage warranty against defects in the paintwork. Any manufacturing defect in the paint finish or application should be reported to an appointed ŠKODA retailer or authorised repairer where it will be rectified at no cost.

We will see?

• 1 month later...

Since I started this thread I thought I'd mention that I've only just had the doors looked at this week by the dealer when the yeti went in for a service.

They have found 2 more tiny inclusions on 2 other doors so that makes 3 doors affected.

The front drivers door that's got the problem in the bottom corner they say is down to the door seal so that will be replaced.

They have sent pictures to Skoda UK of all the problem areas and they will contact me during the week once they've had a response.

They seem confident that most, if not all, of it will be covered.

I'll update when I hear from them

Well I hope others have had a faster response to their claim than I. It is over 7 weeks since the dealer submitted my claim and it's now over two weeks since I last chased. Looks like that call is high on my list tomorrow

Well I hope others have had a faster response to their claim than I. It is over 7 weeks since the dealer submitted my claim and it's now over two weeks since I last chased. Looks like that call is high on my list tomorrow

I have just come off the phone to Skoda Customer Services as it has been 8 weeks since BLADE Gloucester looked at my car. NOT IMPRESSED as I told SKODA repeatedly. Case Manager to call me in next 24/48 hours. The funny thing is "J" at SKODA AUTO had heard of zinc inclusions , but dealers still deny all knowledge of such a problem !!!!!

Make that call 33q

I have just come off the phone to Skoda Customer Services as it has been 8 weeks since BLADE Gloucester looked at my car. NOT IMPRESSED as I told SKODA repeatedly. Case Manager to call me in next 24/48 hours. The funny thing is "J" at SKODA AUTO had heard of zinc inclusions , but dealers still deny all knowledge of such a problem !!!!!

Make that call 33q

Correction.

SOME dealers. There have been several members on here who have had a very positive and pro-active response from their dealers, myself included.

And to be honest, that dealer does have some "history"! Check the Dealer Review section.

Rainworth are normally pretty good but I will chase them in the next day or two. Trouble is I really need my car at the moment as I suspect the courtesy car will not have a tow bar.

Hopefully in about 2 weeks I can have a few days off......ridiculous really as I'm supposed to be retired!

Result .... All 3 doors to be covered under warranty. Going in in a couple of weeks to get done.

I'm impressed at the speed of reply from skoda...the photos were only sent to them on Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my paint warranty claim:- My Skoda UK customer care case manager has chased the claim made through Blade Skoda Gloucester and to cut a long story short the images of the front doors received approval for repair but the images of the rear doors were inconclusive so further investigation was requested. I did the same as some of you guys and sent my own images direct to Skoda UK which they accepted subject to confirmation by the repair center , so hopefully I will get approval for repairs to the rear doors. Just want a good paint job when the car goes in during May sometime.

My case manager has been brilliant from day one of my phone call and updated me at every stage, full credit to Skoda UK for their help and reassurance.

Can someone clarify what the Zinc Inclusion problem is and for how long is the Skoda warranty is valid for,I have a 2010 Yeti whith a small brown mark on the rear bottom corner of the 2 front doors.Can I claim for my doors to be repainted FOC.

I had my 2010 Yeti rear doors repainted FOC this year, but that was largely due to the stone chips caused by lack of protective film (as well as a few zinc inclusions on each side).

I say, go and try.

I've given my wife's Yeti it's usual spring clean and polish this weekend and found these spots all over the bottom of all 4 doors. Quite concerning really. It's a 2011 so just 4 years old so I'm guessing we'll be out of luck in getting Skoda to pay for a fix. Local dealer is DM Keith so I'll take it in and see what they say. I notice they have been mentioned in this thread so are aware and were spoken of highly but we have quite mixed experiences of them so I'll see what happens.

Or we could ask for a deal on a new one...

• 4 weeks later...

Well my Yeti is finally in for repaintung all four doors and revised door seals. Local VW dealer is responsible for the repairs.

I have a golf 3 door 1.4 to play with for about a week

The golf is not the car for me....too low...and I like a bit more power than 1.4 and its manual....but roll on the day when the yeti goes MQB

it's very quiet....very economical....rides really well....and fir a 1.4 goes very well....we are on a short break and it cruises very well indeed

For a 64 plate car with 3500 miles its in shocking condition. Seats stained....been smoked in....parcel shelf missing....it was so filthy inside and out that I asked them to wash it and hoover it...which they did. Worst of all it got a massive dent in the side where the rear door should be!

In my view cars of this size shouldn't be 3 door. Far too wide to open with safety in a confined space....heavy...and prone to wind energy etc

Hopefull I will get mine back this week....but they said they didn't know how long it would take as they had never done one before....oh dear.....starting to worry

I might need to cheer myself up with a blat around Mercedes Benz world tomorrow. Brooklands was excellent today