LSD choice...

alex_e3

Ok, so I'm gonna finally be replacing the clutch very soon. So I'm getting VERY tempted to get a LSD fitted at the same time.

However, I'm genuinely unsure on what to do for.

I'm aware that the Quaife and Peloquin are a very similar unit, with most preferring the Peloquin due to the price. However, from what I briefly recall reading, the Wavetrac operates slightly differently and is meant to be superior to a small degree.

What would people go for? If the Wavetrac is indeed superior, is it worth the extra outlay for predominantly road driving? I'm not going to pay the extra money if I won't see the difference in the real world.

Cheers all!

quaife every time the peloquin is just a cheap copy

The wavetrac is expensive and there technology isn't yet proven for longevity & reliability

My mate just bought a quaife 02m diff with bolt for less than £600 ext VAT he rand quaife and they told him to call TRW motorsport? as they had just ordered 200 units and could over 20% off over direct

Diff bearing £30 each from TPS

At least with quaife you have the UK support if owt goes wrong

And also that's what I have in my Fabia

• Like 1

I have a Wavetrac in my Octy. It's the only one I've driven so I can't compare, but it's an excellent upgrade from stock. Not cheap once fitting is factored in as well, but it changes the way the car accelerates and corners. It now pulls around corners in a way it never did, doesn't have that bogging down understeery feeling exiting roundabouts. Grip is so much better. I'm running about 265bhp and 300lbft and no longer have traction issues off the line, unless I drive like a complete tool or it's so wet that both wheels spin. Plus I tried flooring it from standstill with one wheel on gravel, and it just went, no slipping.

LSDs are awesome, whatever brand.

quaife every time the peloquin is just a cheap copy

The wavetrac is expensive and there technology isn't yet proven for longevity & reliability

My mate just bought a quaife 02m diff with bolt for less than £600 ext VAT he rand quaife and they told him to call TRW motorsport? as they had just ordered 200 units and could over 20% off over direct

Diff bearing £30 each from TPS

At least with quaife you have the UK support if owt goes wrong

And also that's what I have in my Fabia

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/99572-peloquin-or-quaife-diffs/#entry1232688

Another wavetrac here.   fit and forget with no parts to ware out is the attraction for me. few pals on here run them and spot on road and track use.   Quite handy in the ice as well. 

have driven and a quafe and find them quite snappy compaired to the wavetrac. 

you get what you pay for imo :)

Peloquin here.  Had in several years and currently in its 2nd gearbox.  I won't say its the best as I don't know, but I DO know it works and I DO love it a lot!  :)

At the time I went with it as it came with all the bolts and a whole range of shims to correctly install it. :)  Those spare shims came in handy when it went into the 2nd box too, but it needed only a fractional adjustment.

Overall - Closed diff > open diff.  The end! :D

I have the wavetrac as it's fit and forget and comes with a lifetime warranty. Admittedly I take my car on track so didn't mind paying the extra.

At the end of the day fitting any diff will improve the way it drives

Wavetrac is a good unit, I used one in my rally car build originally before changing to a plated LSD. I had mine rebuilt for free after I felt it wasn't working properly which I'm sure quaife wouldn't have done without a fight.

Gave you my thoughts on the quaife already Alex, it's a fantastic bit of kit and I can't fault it. As I explained to John today, I had a good chat with my boss before making my choice and he agreed that the ATB would be best for road as its rather progressive, doesn't feel snatchy to me at all when compared to a proper plated diff like we have fitted in the rally cars at work.

• Like 2

In fact Kev I have just to annoy you tbh, got to keep you entertained somehow......

Spoken to several people one of of those was my good friend Chip who you no doubt know of!

I then spoke some more who have used both and as I was about to buy 1 for the polo I rang Chip as he could get me quaife for good price and advised that the peloquin wasn't I good a quality item as the quaife

He gave me several reason why and folk he knows that are folk I respect and heed there advice and told to buy a Quaife

Is that ok Kev? Or do u wanna turn this thread on its head and have a keyboard warrior fight?

I reckon there's gonna be a brawl at this rolling road day ha ha! If it isn't me and Silky then it'll be Kev and someone :D

Lol our spat was only minor in the grand scheme of things

Kev doesn't care much for me and I suppose vs versa really

But as I've never met either of you I keep an open mind and wat been said online stays online as I see it.

I've been knocking around on the modified car scene for long enough now, meeting people face to face is totally difference to the Internet

• Like 1

In fact Kev I have just to annoy you tbh, got to keep you entertained somehow......

Spoken to several people one of of those was my good friend Chip who you no doubt know of!

I then spoke some more who have used both and as I was about to buy 1 for the polo I rang Chip as he could get me quaife for good price and advised that the peloquin wasn't I good a quality item as the quaife

He gave me several reason why and folk he knows that are folk I respect and heed there advice and told to buy a Quaife

Is that ok Kev? Or do u wanna turn this thread on its head and have a keyboard warrior fight?

Still not proof that the peloquin is as you call it a 'cheap copy' :)

Look at the link above to what Jabba Sport say, someone that sells both brands with experience of both first hand, not just opinions of a few forum experts :)

Lol our spat was only minor in the grand scheme of things

Kev doesn't care much for me and I suppose vs versa really

But as I've never met either of you I keep an open mind and wat been said online stays online as I see it.

I've never met you, never said anything personal against you tbh :)

Just if your Fabia you've bought had a Peloquin fitted you would be saying thats the better choice!

Still not proof that the peloquin is as you call it a 'cheap copy' :)

Look at the link above to what Jabba Sport say, someone that sells both brands with experience of both first hand, not just opinions of a few forum experts :)

Sorry should've said cheaper copy of the quaife

I value the advice and knowledge of the guys I spoke too some don't even use forums

But build gearboxes and engines for race teams and the likes and are hugely respected in the circle of friends they know

I choose to buy a quaife because of this, unlucky for me the polo engine died as it cracked a piston and lost compression

So never got round to buying the LSD so I went and bought a car with one fitted and was all set to swap the engine and box into the polo but decided to not break up a already nice Fabia, I put the polo back to standard with another engine and I'm gonna fit the 2260 to the Fabia instead along with my race nozzle

Not that you needed to know all the above but may as well let folk know why I've swapped from the Polo to a Fabia

I've never met you, never said anything personal against you tbh :)

Just if your Fabia you've bought had a Peloquin fitted you would be saying thats the better choice!

Certainly not at all, but I had a choice of 2 cars when looking for the polo replacement one had a quaife and the other a wavetrac

Mine was more expensive but I wanted the quaife LSD

Yes I might be more biased towards the quaife as I've had them in previous vehicles

Cossie, kit car & nova GTE and they were superb

The only car ive driven with a peloquin is a Astra vxr car running big power and I found it awful but then again Astra vxr's aren't the best handling cars lol

I'm 100% sure your happy with yours and if you drove mine it wouldn't feel any different

Alex asked for people's views and I gave mine!

Also my mate just got his for 20% less than quaife sell them via this TRW motorsport so it makes the quaife a good buy tbh

Hmmm... Chip... now there's a username I vaguely remember causing some carnage on another forum...!!

It's all forgotten as far as I'm concerned now anyhow Matt :thumbup:

Cheers for the advice guys.

I think that after reading all this I can't really justify a Wavetrac. A Peloquin or Quaife it will be then :)

Matt, do you have a link for this TRW please? Can't find a link off Google...   I'd definitely be interested in one that has a further 20% off!!

Hmmm... Chip... now there's a username I vaguely remember causing some carnage on another forum...!!

It's all forgotten as far as I'm concerned now anyhow Matt :thumbup:

Cheers for the advice guys.

I think that after reading all this I can't really justify a Wavetrac. A Peloquin or Quaife it will be then :)

Matt, do you have a link for this TRW please? Can't find a link off Google... I'd definitely be interested in one that has a further 20% off!!

Cliosport?