Properly worked out fuel consumption - worryingly high?

turboman6680

So, we've a 14 plate Tour de France Yeti 140 diesel manual 4x4.

It gets used over the course of a tank for -

80% dual carriageway at 60 - 70mph tops

10% A class single carriageway road at around 60mph

10% town - stop start traffic.

Driven by my other half who does not have a lead foot.

From new we have worked out every tank of fuel and we average 36mpg with 34 and 38 possible.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong (and I know it's as aerodynamic as a house brick ) but that's pretty darn low??!

Anybody agree?

Cheers, David

• Like 1

From new we have worked out every tank of fuel and we average 36mpg with 34 and 38 possible.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong (and I know it's as aerodynamic as a house brick ) but that's pretty darn low??!

Anybody agree?

Cheers, David

Same car as me - I'm averaging low 40's and am approximately 10% down on previous 110 2wd. More than worth it though!!

Fuelly link below.

When I got my 2.0 Tdi 110ps 2wd in late 2013, the kerb weight was 1340kg. The 2.0 Tdi 140ps 4wd weight was 1455kg. That's a lot of extra weight to carry around. The official combined fuel economy of my vehicle is 55mpg and I'm averaging around 47-48 mpg (interesting info-the change from Dunlop SP01 to Nexen N8000 tyres has resulted in a drop of around 2-3 mpg but the Nexen's are much more quiet and have better road handling in all conditions I'd say). The 140ps had an official 48.7mpg. Take around 15% off this for a real world figure (plus reflecting what I'm seeing over 15 months and 23000 mixed miles) and you have around 41.3mpg. So what you're seeing may be a bit low. Have you had the car from new and therefore are these figures reflecting driving over warmer months as well? Like any vehicle, the Yeti does take a hit in colder weather getting up to optimum temperature.

I would look at tyres carefully when you come to change them-the eco ones can make a big difference IMO.

Edited by fastestlouigie

^^^^ a bit over 1600kg now I seem to recall!!

+ large frontal area x by a poor drag coefficient .

The price you pay for a genuine allrounder.

[TBH's new 308 has an aluminium 1.2L wet sleeve 3 pot turbo petrol engined car which drive silently but like a slow revving high torque diesel.......96kw/130bhp with max torque 230nm @ 1750 with 95% fm 1500]

I'm still in shock!

Edited by Ryeman

'Ryeman, I just checked the new brochure and the 140ps 4wd has gained 5kg at 1460kg, although does the Monti Carlo add extra weight for more equipment? Wouldn't have thought so..

Hmm, seems like it's 1555kg for mine ....don't know where I got 1600 fm.

On my regular 35 mile mixed roads jaunt yesterday, my Yeti Maxidot recorded an average of 23.8mpg.

Regards Turboman6680's figures, yes they are low, but the stop start town work might be a significant part of it, especially if getting up to speed after stops is done briskly. My 5 mile commute can vary between about 19 and 55 depending on time and traffic.

Also suggest that keeping below 60 makes a big difference on the open road, as 70mph is sufficient to harm the mpg.

P.S. my overall for yesterday (there and back, there and back) was 44.6, so I did ease off a little :-)

How does the on board computer compare with tank to tank calculations? Is it consistently optimistic?

They're all optimistic if only because the odo is at least 5% optimistic.

Mine has a tuning box on it and that plays havoc with the maxidot calculations and a waste of time referring to it.

Anybody agree?

Cheers, David

How many miles has it done?

Ours started off at similar figures to you but got notably more economical as the miles went on. Now averaging 42mpg at 19,000 miles (ours also a 14 reg)

I have to admit that my consumption has been a bone of contention.

We have the Yeti Greenline, so we should be getting great figures, but nowhere near what Skoda claim.

We have done less than 2500 miles since new in December, 90% of runs have been free flowing motorways, initially at 60-65 mph as running in, and no fast starts of use of too high a gear as it seems to labour.

Initially it was doing around 46 mpg.. brim to Brim, but Maxidot " claimed 55 mpg... the little liar.. lol.

The last fill up, we were driving at 65-70 as it seems to have started to loosen up, and we got 48 mpg.

I was told that it will be a while yet before the fuel economy improves, also it has been cold wet and windy, so loads of spray, which takes energy, 50% of driving with headlighs on, heater on, with climate control... also the aircon is working in the back ground.

Most of our journeys have been in excess of 50 miles, and has included a Scotland trip too, 850 miles.

We have been two up, but we are not the lightest of people, most had the boot full of luggage, we also carry an after market full size spare wheel, jack, and tools and we have a tow bar, all heavy extras that were not " weighed in" with the Yeti Greenline.

I too drive as if we have no brakes, and I anticipate and drive to the speed of the car in front of the car in front.... etc

We don't have the drag and weight of the 4x4 system.

So overall, I should be satisfied with the consumption so far, but we were hoping to get 55 mpg on these types of run.

I am confident that when we have a few more thousand miles on the clock and the air temperature rises, and the roads are dry, and we drive more in daylight, that the 55 mpg might be within reach.

We have the start stop technology, but to be fair, we drive so little in towns when the engine is nice and hot, that it rarely cuts in... or should I say... cuts out.

It is supposed to have regenerative braking too, so the battery is charged whilst decelerating... thus saving power and fuel...

Not sure what this difference makes, and also we have lowered suspension, by 20 mm to help with the air drag coefficient.

I guess every little helps, and they did all this so I could have free road tax this year lol...

I find that there is at least a 5 mpg difference between 60 and 70 mph.  I still cannot grumble at the economy of my DSG equipped 170 CR Diesel, but I do drive 90 % of my time on A/M roads at 70 mph max.

I do find wet weather to be the worst time for good fuel consumption, but I suppose, lights, aircon, wipers etc., all add to draw power and ruin consumption figures.

Don't forget a .20 mph head wind turn 65'into 85 and 45 on return and cold air is heavier adding to the drag.

I must admit, when travelling on our boat, I consider tidal flow on the rivers, and plan our journey accordingly. It can make a huge difference if your top speed is 5mph and the current flow is 3 mph.

So, maybe, as we now have the time, to consider "When" to make that journey, I'll have to watch the weather forecast and maybe delay it by half a day. Equally on the way back.

Now that will make a huge difference to drag, and should save fuel too.

Normally, we just expect one journey to cancel out the another, but with planning... hmmm...

Now if we can convert our roads to huge tubes, with the air flowing at 70mph, so no wind drag...

In the future with automated steering, cars can be end to end only mm apart travelling in trains...this reducing drag.

Mind you they do that going south on the M40 around Oxford in the early morning already... lol

Now if we can convert our roads to huge tubes, with the air flowing at 70mph, so no wind drag...

Following a large lorry travelling at those speeds really helps fuel consumption, as it says in the manual!!

Also helps paint chips on the front  :think:

Where I live a day trip to the south can, at times result in a quartering tail wind in both directions if a front goes through during the day but not if going north.....it's just what happens with a cold front down here.

Anybody agree?

Cheers, David

Sounds about right to me, similar to my 140 4x4 DSG, see Fuelly in my signature below.

Previous 110 2WD averaged 47mpg over 3 years but as pointed out the 140 is a lot heavier. Conversely the 170 seems to be better on fuel!

Fred

Must admit I never look at the fuel economy if I like the car it's not one of the things I look at much but 36/38mpg sounds good to me for a yeti 4x4 brick ? Think my transporter T5 van does about 30/32mpg & that's a diesel 2.0 liter bi turbo & a proper brick shape!!

Sounds about right to me, similar to my 140 4x4 DSG, see Fuelly in my signature below.

Your calculations are probably about right - I'm averaged some 36.8mpg over c.79,000 miles and 242 fill-ups in under 3 years. The joy of ownership of a Yeti is not its fuel consumption but everything else that just keeps exceeding all expectations.

• Like 3

Fred is running the same engine and drivetrain as I am and our Fuelly stats are similar.  Mine might be a bit lower because of my local terrain - dead rural!  If the OP is interested, he might register (free) for Fuelly and click the 'Compare' button for his spec - that would give him a 'spread' of statistics. 

Edited by Brijo

The OP's figures do sound a little low. I generally think I have one of the worst scenarios for running a diesel, with just a three mile commute it never gets to temperature in that time. Even with that I rarely get less than 40mpg, and average over 34K is 41.7mpg. If I do a few longer runs they might get nearer 50mpg, and push a tankful average up to 44-45. I've only seen 36 once, and that was driving back from Scotland in heavy rain, fully loaded with the roofbox on as well. The book figures gives the 170 as slightly better than the 140, but that was 47.9 vs 47.1 - not that much!

I have Jan/2012 140 Elegance manual 6 speed 4x4, 9500 miles to date, as I only do 3 miles max short runs, so I have recorded brim to brim refills since I have had the vehicle. mileage is always 35 to 36.6 mpg, I also do this as the DPF has not reached working temperature within the 3 miles.

I stay in 4th gear up to 3 miles, if I go over 3 miles and the engine temp is up then I will use 5th ans 6th.

About twice a month I will I give it a run up the M54, I then get 48.2 mpg I know as I carried out a brim to brim test. 

During the summer I have archived  38.2 short runs, and once or twice 50 to 51.2 mpg on a long run if I pop down to Essex.

I agree with Arkaig the vehicle is worth it and I love it.