Properly worked out fuel consumption - worryingly high?

turboman6680

Hi my 2 bob's worth.

After a lot KM in diesels, the more they work the better they are in fuel economy.

Mine's 2 years old up to first 15K service was averaging 550/580 Km to 50 Litres.

Now after 37K now average 670/730 Km to 50/55 Litres.

At 60 Km/Hr I use manual shift on DSG anything over that speed I use Full auto (D),

+ I allow "Snowman" to warm up before I drive off.

One of the non-top gear car shows did an economy test a couple of years go doing the same course with air con on or off, windows up or down, tyres pumped up or soft, boot empty or full and none of them made more than a tiny bit of difference.

The only thing that made an appreciable difference was speed.

Re air-con, mine's on permanently so no idea if it affects mpg; my understanding is that it's not significant. 

Although the His and Hers temperatures might be changed from time to time, the only alteration at this time of year is to screen demist (which is fairly quick, even when cold). 

Turning AC on or off doesn't seem to make much of an impact on mine. However turning the entire climate control unit off does make a notable difference in fuel economy.

According to the tests done on cars with all the latest scientific kit fitted they are all up to 25% down on manufacturers claimed figures.

On testing they routinely tape up all gaps remove spare wheels,even back seats in some instances all to reduce weight to hit co2figures.

Apparently the German quoted figures are more accurate.

From experience of owning six different makes of 4x4 diesels none of them bettered 42 mpg even on a 300mile run at 60-65mph the average being 28-32mpg. I'm afraid we have all been conned with regard to fuel consumption,I suspect that this is the reason for the explosion of small compact turbo petrols ,before goverments step in and kill the market for diesels altogether.

When my current VRS Blackline 170 DSG goes it will be for a modern petrol engine.

I've only ever had one car where the aircon affected the MPG. I had a Suzuki Swift 1.6 petrol where turning on the aircon immediately caused a drop of 800rpm, in fact it could almost be used as a boost button. If you drove it with the aircon on then needed to overtake you just turned aircon off and got an immediate power boost! The fuel consumption suffered by about 5mpg.

I can't tell any difference with the Yeti.

Fred

Edited by g6zru

I have a lead foot I guess.  See my signature.

Not even 34 mpg!!!!!!!!!!  It is a DSG though... I've had it checked by Škoda as well - and all is normal.  Oh well. On Spiritmonitor of similar DSG Yetis mine is the fifth worst on the PLANET!!!

Edited by 900000

I have a lead foot I guess.  See my signature.

Not even 34 mpg!!!!!!!!!!  It is a DSG though... I've had it checked by Škoda as well - and all is normal.  Oh well. On Spiritmonitor of similar DSG Yetis mine is the fifth worst on the PLANET!!!

So you're related directly to BIGFOOT?
  • Like 1

I'm still in shock!

And after a somewhat tortuous trip to the mountains involving steep twisting climbs and decents and low gear work, finally refuelled at the same pump - jamming in 50.5L after 1010km - exactly 20km/L or 57mpg.

The range remaining was a solid 70km.

A genuine 60mpg would be a doddle on more reasonable roads and v quiet.

I'll let you know.

I'm meeting Johann for a drink tomorrow night.

Indeed you are Graham...  though alas, neither of us will have our Yetis with us. :(

It would not be a pioneer Yeti meet anyway, as the Yeti Owners Club organised one of those last year:

http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/6-yeti-inaugural-meet-june-8th-2014_topic1656.html

And by pioneers we mean Briskoda pioneers 137699! Not some other group that shan't be named!!

It would not be a pioneer Yeti meet anyway, as the Yeti Owners Club organised one of those last year:

http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/6-yeti-inaugural-meet-june-8th-2014_topic1656.html

And I suggest you search for "Yeti Welsh Adventure" on here.

An off-road day a couple of years ago!

That was the first gathering.

Edited by Llanigraham