DMF replacement - 2007 Superb 1 2.0 diesel - 77,000 miles

This is my very first post to the forum although I have lurked with great interest for several years. Having searched I cannot find a post with my issue.

I had rattles from the Superb's engine most noticeably on the overrun at around 2,000 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear but audible inside the car at other speeds / gears. My local independent concluded that the DMF was expiring. For a second opinion I went to a Skoda dealer who agreed to do a run in the car at the end of which he too concluded that it was most likely the DMF / clutch but that to be certain the gearbox would have to be removed. I decided to let the independent replace the DMF with a new LUK unit from EuroParts.

Driving around over the weekend the rattling has been reduced but it is definitely still there. In addition, it is now audible outside the car at 1,200 rpm in neutral but stops if the clutch is dipped. My questions to anyone who has experienced this are:

i) Is it likely that, as suggested on the LUK web site, an imbalance or wear in the gearbox might create the noise?

LUK suggest:

• Defective pilot bearing (angular/parallel misalignment between engine and gearbox) - I've no idea what a pilot bearing is!
  • Gearbox input shaft bearing worn/defective

ii) Have I been unlucky and picked up a duff unit from EuroParts?

iii) Is this normal for the engine and I just haven't really noticed it in my 50,000 miles of use until it became very intrusive?

I'm hoping I'm not the first to have had this experience and that someone out there has already cracked it.

Many thanks in advance for help, suggestions or solutions.

Edited by GordonClifton

I don't have much experience with manuals (I have the auto) but I do recall that it seems the 6 speed box on these cars has a few common faults which make it less desirable than the 5 speed.  I think the UKPassat forum has a few threads I've skimmed over.

Before you spend much money on the car - you realise the 2.0 diesels has some fairly fundamental issues with the oil pump drive which are waiting to write-off your engine? If you do know then fair enough, if not it might be worth you reading up and thinking about whether you keep it or shift it on...  

Thanks Jimbof. In the four years I've had the car the oil pump gave up which then took out the turbo. Luckily I stopped the car promptly at the first warning so there seemed to be no other damage. Warranty insurance covered most of that cost. Then the dpf system acted up for ages until the pressure switch was diagnosed as duff but not before I had the rising oil level issue due to diesel draining into the sump. I like the car because when it's working it's a reasonable place to be on our rubbish roads!