rear pads and disc changed

Jamkaw

Strip old parts off and now wrestling with the wind back tool to get caliper to re fit. Is it a clockwise or anticlockwise turn? Can't get it to retract the piston at all.

Edited by Jamkaw

Caliper is still conected via handrake wire and flexi brake hose at the moment. I guess its easier to do if taken off the car as well.

Ive got the tool turning and the piston head but its not going back in

Edited by Jamkaw

Slacken the handbrake first and ensure the levers on each caliper is in the fully retracted position. After you've fitted the new pads pump the brake pedal up. Then finally adjust the handbrake. Failure to do it this way will mean the rear brake setting and handbrake won't be as good as it should be.

If you've taken the caliper off and pop the fluid resevoir lid off, the piston if free should wind back very easily. If its hard to turn it will most likely be seizing up. I've replaced both rear calipers on mine and I'm sure one is binding on again. Its a weak point on these i think. Time for a strip and clean up just to check how free the piston is.

Tbh buddy i didn't adjust the cables when i fitted discs and pads they were fine but yes the armrest would have to come out to adjust if needed. As for the piston in the caliper, don't take that out as there is no need to. You would have to bleed the system if thats removed. Just take the top off resevoir, remove caliper, take out pads, twist piston back into caliper, remove caliper carrier, change disc, clean caliper up, grease slider pins, copper grease the back of new pads, put back together.

When I did them on my last car (Seat Cordoba) I too was struggling to wind them back in.

I found in the end that a gentle push on the brake pedal without the pads in brought them out a bit then they wound straight in. So basically using the force of the brakes to move them and un-stick them to be able to wind back in.

Might be worth a shot if you're still struggling.

Phil