So what are people's thoughts on the thermisto alloys?

16" wheels may improve the ride, I am not sure that they will  improve MPG merely due to size, it is more likely that MPG will be improved by use of different compounds and/or tread patterns.

for example, my summer themisto's with conti sport contacts provide a very similar mpg to the steel 16" winters with goodyear Blizzak's

I know of another 170CR 4x4 that swapped the conti's for 18" Nokian W3's  winter tyres  on the same themisto's and has found an improvement in MPG

Thermisto's (as with all Skoda polished / diamond cut alloys) are great right up until their third birthday.

At which point (often to the day) they begin with the infamous 'white worm', or to put it in English - water penetrates the clear laquer and the alloy begins to corrode.

A good looking wheel though.

• Like 1

^^ not sure what your Triffid's are like silver1011 but 90k in (3+ years) mine are really looking tired now? Corrosion under the lacquer is present but more noticeable on the rears.

Edited by Coops
  • Like 1

I love the Themisto's on my car, think their one of the best looking alloys out there, but like Silver says their biggest flaw is the white worm, mine looked terrible after 4 years so had them refurbed, had them sprayed as it cost £120 for the whole set where as to have them remachined was about £120 a wheel, nearly the cost of a new wheel! Even though their not as they were when new they look bloody good sprayed and will be easier to have touched up in the future if needed!

• Like 1

^^ not sure what your Triffid's are like silver1011 but 90k in (3+ years) mine are really looking tired now? Corrosion under the lacquer is present but more noticeable on the rears.

I commented on an older thread where you posted pictures of the corrosion on your Triffid's.

Mine are doing exactly the same (2011 @ 65,000 miles).

I run winter wheels now so I'm hoping the corrosion will slow, but they will need a refurb before too long.

• Like 1