Why it's called clutch noise? It should be called gearbox noise

Emil

I wonder why it's often called "clutch noise", as the noise surely comes from gearbox. Is it gearbox rumble or what, I don't know. Maybe someone else knows better term for it.

I've noticed that rumble is more audible when weather is cold. When engine and gearbox warms up, rumble is less audible, if audible at all. In summer I usually don't hear it at all.

I accept these characteristics. Tolerances are bigger when gearbox is cold. And gear oil is probably very thin to reach better fuel economy. 3 cylinder engine never idle so smoothly, which also could create some gearbox rattling. If you give it some throttle, gearbox rattling stops.

So nothing to worry about, if you hear slight rumble when you release clutch pedal. It's normal, and all these three sisters do the same Citigo/Mii/UP!). :yes:

It doesn't stop if I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal. It stops when I push clutch pedal all the way down.

Worn or faulty clutch release bearing gives noise when clutch pedal is pressed, that's when it get pressure. Clutch release bearing should last long long time. Surely not the issue with these Citigos.

Must have been different noise then. I started this topic, because I read this:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341485-help-on-braking-problems/

"... in neutral i now get a noise that disapears when i depress the clutch. ..."

That's normal gearbox sound, I would say. Lack of soundproofing mostly. ;)

Edited by Emil

It was definitely the clutch pedal on ours. CLICK CLICK!  The pedal was replaced.

Unless this topic about something different?

I get click click only if I move my feet from side to side when clutch is depressed. I don't have to do that, so no click from there. Another click comes from gearbox, if clutch pedal is lifted rapidly. No need to do that neither.

When radio and heater is turned off, you could hear slight sound, and it stops when you push clutch pedal down. That's the sound from gearbox. Nothing to worry about.

Just to mix things up a little we get a twang, twang noise like a spring moving as the clutch pedal is pressed or released. Maybe that's the dreaded click click of old?