Has anyone come from a vRS to a Yeti?

vectra1

Thinking a change may be on the cards this year as am finding it difficult getting out of the vRS combi recently.

Getting older and pains setting in.

Anyhow.

I am looking at a 140 bhp 2wd Elegance model.

First question. Are they quieter than the combi?

Any other Plus's or minus's ?

Is there talks of a new model on the horizon? If so would it be bad timing to buy one?

I have open ears :)

Thanks

Probably need to try one , but I drive a Fabia as a daily and i felt a big squashed in the yeti and couldnt get comfortable , also couldnt see the top of the speedometer with the wheel at it highest level and the seat fully down. It was a L&K though perhaps the leather doesnt help

• Like 1

Not quite a vRS, but I changed in July 2014 from a V6 3.6 4x4 DSG Superb to a 170CR Yeti Outdoor 4x4 DSG.

The Yeti is certainly noisier although a recent tyre change (4Seasons Goodyear) has quietened the noise a little.

i like the torque of the CR diesel engines but I do miss the top end power.

It takes a long time to get to optimal running temp in the winter.

The electric seat adjustment was a must for me to get a really comfortable driving position (6' 4" [1.93 Metres] and bad back etc.,)

Love being able to slide in/out of seat rather than stooping down etc.,

Enjoying the improved economy

• Like 1

• Administrators

Managed to miss the yeti... I think you adjust to whatever, expand or contract to fit budgets and needs. 

Octavia 4x4 190+ -> 1.8tvRS 200+ -> Roomster 100+ -> Superb 200 4x4 -> Citigo <75 :D.

Other than  bit of road stance and turn in I suspect you won't miss the rs too much after a bit... but I know I didn't miss my 4x4 octy, or roomster one bit when I went up the scale.

HTH

• Like 1

From a 57 Pd vRS to a 2014 CR 170 Elegance 4x4.

Really enjoyed both vehicles to drive. Suffer with back problems and do, for obvious reasons find it easier to get in and out of the Yeti. CR engine is a lot smoother than the PD although used to like the kick from the PD. The Yeti is lovely to drive, a trip to Skye last year, total of 1500 mile in a week, without any back problems. We drove up there in a day, 11 hrs, and wasn't at all tired.

There are times when I miss the vRS but overall the Yeti suits my needs better.

HTH

Edited by jerbear
  • Like 1

We had the Octy Vrs before swapping to the Yeti, I never regretted itl the shape of yeti is far more suited to what I need day to day and the 4x4 is a bonus if its bad weather and the wife is going out with the horse.

I would put it in the top 3 best cars I have owned and thats a long list .... (maybe not as many as Bossfox :)

• Like 1

I had three 170 vRS models (one PD and two CRs) prior to my 170 Yeti.

Loved them all!

Went to the Yeti after two very snowy winters ... not that the vRS ever got stuck but more for piece of mind.

Lots to commend them both .... I guess the vRS models were more fun but the Yeti had the higher driving position and was slightly better with the caravan on the back.  Day to day the higher ride height was better for sleeping policemen (especially towing) and for flooded roads.

Try one out.

• Like 1

Changed from my vrs blackline estate last June to a yeti l & k 170 ,apart from a good deal the minor problems from the vrs for me were the lack of comfort of the drivers seat when driving and getting out from the low driving position,apart from that a great car with a massive boot,although it's the same engine it felt and sounded better in the vrs but I find the yeti very comfy ,quiet, smooth and a great drive plus in the l & k sunroof and all the other extras.

• Like 1

140bhp 2WD??

Unless they do a special in Ireland I thought all 140's were 4x4?

New model is at least 2 years away.

No.

All the 170's ar 4x4

Can't even get the 140 with dsg.

No L&K either in them .

My other half has a 2010 Octavia vRS estate (petrol) and a 2010 Yeti 140 4x4 (diesel).  Comparing them both, the Octavia brakes are better (bigger on the vRS compared to the Yeti) and the boot is a lot bigger.  The Octavias engine is much quieter (hardly surprising being petrol vs diesel in the Yeti), but the Yeti generates far less road noise.  Although the vRS is obviously a lot quicker, the Yeti can keep up with most traffic and handles surprisingly well given it's height and the type of car it is.  As far as ride and handling are concerned I'd say that the Yeti is better than my old (mk1) Fabia vRS.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

We had the Octy Vrs before swapping to the Yeti, I never regretted itl the shape of yeti is far more suited to what I need day to day and the 4x4 is a bonus if its bad weather and the wife is going out with the horse.

I would put it in the top 3 best cars I have owned and thats a long list .... (maybe not as many as Bossfox :)

I still think it's the best all round car I've ever had.

But I have to say that without the electric seat I wouldn't think that, I can get noticably more comfortable with that option over other ones I drive that don't have it.

• Like 2

I have had two fabia vrs' s and went from last one to a yeti 1.4 tsi se+ loved it that much that when i came to change it i got another one a outdoor elegance 4x4 170 love the driving position easy to get in and out of i love being able to see over things an all round great mpv.

Edited by Thurlby12
  • Like 1

In more than 40 years I have never before bought the same car twice-my first was a 140 elegance and it's successor a 1.8tsi L&K. Hugely enjoyable to drive, reliable and wieldy. Enough performance, space and comfort and all in an easy to park package.

• Like 1

I have just gone the other way. Changed my tdi Yeti for a vrs Octavia. They are both brilliant cars but in their own ways and are not really comparable.

I would have no quarms going back to a Yeti, but as i have only had the vrs for three weeks i am still enjoying that.

• Like 1

No.

All the 170's ar 4x4

Can't even get the 140 with dsg.

No L&K either in them .

I take it your after a 140 2wd with DSG? Just been on the skoda Ireland website and there's a few diesel and gear box options not available to us in the UK.

I had a Octavia vrs dsg and now got the 140 dsg yeti. Both vehicles are good in each respect, but I'm now suffering knee problems ( 25 years of being a electrician doesn't help) so I find the yeti a lot easier to get in and out of. I loved the Octavia, but it was getting a struggle to get in and out on my drive, as it's quite steep. I see in Ireland, you can get the yeti sherpa commercial. Pity can't get it here in the UK, as that would be my next works vehicle choice

• Like 1

.... I see in Ireland, you can get the yeti sherpa commercial. Pity can't get it here in the UK, as that would be my next works vehicle choice

Interesting!  If you don't need the back seats, that's not a bad deal at around £16.400 as a top-spec 4 x 4 DSG.  Would suit enthusiastic dog-lovers, possibly - nice flat floor for a cage or two. 

PS Here's the website - http://www.skoda.ie/brochures/documents/pricelists/yeti_sherpa_price_list_2015.pdf

Edited by Brijo
  • Like 1

I also had two Fabia VRS's, both remapped to around 160/170bhp. Now have the Yeti 1.2 petrol and very rarely miss the extra performance. Plus I have the bikes if I feel the need.

In fact I would definitely say that the more performance you have the more you want to use it just because it's there. Now that has it's good and bad points :devil: .

Mk2 vrs estate pd170 to yeti 4x4 cr170. I loved the yeti but the wife didn't! Back with the vrs in 184 tdi estate, another great car by Skoda. IMO of course.

Interesting!  If you don't need the back seats, that's not a bad deal at around £16.400 as a top-spec 4 x 4 DSG.  Would suit enthusiastic dog-lovers, possibly - nice flat floor for a cage or two. 

PS Here's the website - http://www.skoda.ie/brochures/documents/pricelists/yeti_sherpa_price_list_2015.pdf

I don't think much of the "protective bulkhead" - I don't imagine it offers much protection to the backs of the front seats. The car in the photos here appears to have the raised floor of a car with a spare wheel.  I wonder what's under the raised floor where the back seat base would normally be?

had 2 vrs octy diesels and then went to 140 adventure love the car serious fun on back roads can upset all sorts of cars just the brakes let it down a little when pushed hard and the seats are crap on lower models but am considering going back to an octy in the shape of a 184 dsg scout