Mileage Milestones

170K? [emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did that in my AX diesel too.

At the end it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding - it would only manage 45mph westbound up the A66 into a headwind!!

But on the flat it still ran fine even with that mileage on.

• Like 1

How are you lot managing 45+ mpg?! My 1.2 tsi only seems to get 42/44 mpg and I do a 12 mile trip to work on 50mph roads with Crusie control on??

Don't use cruise control at 50mph - it's not fuel efficient. Cruise is best used at 65mph+ on flat terrain. Drive without cruise, you'll see an improvement. Use a motorway route to work, it'll be even better.

The sweet spot for economy seems to be 2000-2200rpm in 6th.

Matt17121991, on 24 Mar 2015 - 12:17, said:Matt17121991, on 24 Mar 2015 - 12:17, said:

How are you lot managing 45+ mpg?! My 1.2 tsi only seems to get 42/44 mpg and I do a 12 mile trip to work on 50mph roads with Crusie control on??

aircon costs about 3 mpg.

215 section tyres cost 3 to 5 mpg.

any stopping at juctions guzzles fuel when building up speed again.

However, StartStop (or Greentech) gives about 6 or 7 % improvment

You can see that getting decent mpg from the TSi105 is difficult - basically drive it like Grandpa :)

there is a long thread on page 1 of the Rapid forums about it. Someone on there had their TP's way too low and got a big mpg gain on correcting them.

Edited by camelspyyder

Agreed, I'm getting around 43 mpg on average though I hit a lot of traffic on my commute, have seen indicated 50 but it soon drops back with hills or traffic.  Its not bad for a petrol but you do need a light right foot, and as soon as you press on the mpg falls through the floor. Maybe the tyres do make a difference too as I can't see I'd ever get near the 52 average.

Edited by shorty

Agreed - the 1.2 Tsi favours a light-footed driver. I definitely think the stock tyres don't help matters either. Will be glad when I've worn out the Dunlops and can get something decent (and quieter) on the car.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1

The dunplops are doing ok on my 1.2 tsi i'm still getting a long term average of 54 mpg. It wierdly went down straight after its service but it seems to have returned to normal now. The cold weather doesnt help either i've seen some stupidly low mpg when its very cold.

• 2 weeks later...

aircon costs about 3 mpg.

215 section tyres cost 3 to 5 mpg.

any stopping at juctions guzzles fuel when building up speed again.

However, StartStop (or Greentech) gives about 6 or 7 % improvment

You can see that getting decent mpg from the TSi105 is difficult - basically drive it like Grandpa :)

there is a long thread on page 1 of the Rapid forums about it. Someone on there had their TP's way too low and got a big mpg gain on correcting them.

Don't use cruise control at 50mph - it's not fuel efficient. Cruise is best used at 65mph+ on flat terrain. Drive without cruise, you'll see an improvement. Use a motorway route to work, it'll be even better.

The sweet spot for economy seems to be 2000-2200rpm in 6th.

I have since stopped using cruise at 50mph and would you believe it, my MPG has now shot up to around 48MPG. I can get 50MPG if im really careful. So quite happy with that now!

Thanks for the advice!

My very first car was a Peugeot 106 diesel, 1.5 non-turbo with a grand total of 56bhp (when it was new).   I got it with 212,000 miles on the clock, and it had 221,000 when I got shot of it and it went to the crusher.   Still managed it's top speed of 98mph which was bloody scary in that thing, although it took 23 seconds to get to 60.

My Toledo is just past the 500 mile mark after 2 weeks now, although fun fact for any snooker fans... I play a lot of snooker and the first time I took it down the club it just so happened to have 147 miles on the clock! :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...