Goodbye and thank you!

CB1

So the Monte has been sold. 2 years 3 months of reasonably trouble free motoring have come to an end, and I've decided to move onwards and upwards...kinda.

I had a choice between a vRS Fabia and a Mini Cooper S, and my god it was a tough one. Ultimately it was a heart and wallet decision, with the Mini driving that bit better than the Fabia, being a cheaper thanks to being a 62 plate rather than 64 and generally just being more for me. If practicality was of any concern (an MX-5 was also considered, but it's not really a £13k purchase I could justify) the Fabia would have won every time, but it felt a little bit too much like Monte + a little bit, rather than a night and day change. That and the DSG box really wasn't for me. And the Mini feels faster.

So, although I haven't been the most active member of the community, I'd like to say thanks to all that have helped out over the last couple of years with a few niggles and made life just a tad easier. I went on a decent 90-mile round trip to Glenshee yesterday to try out my new camera too, so I'll update this thread in a few days with some of the better pics I got :).

• Like 1

Ah dont blame ya tbh. The minis are nice to drive arent they. I was impressed with the one i drove, was nice, just not very practical of course.

Enjoy the new car!

Never know, you might get sucked back into the skoda world at a later date! ;)

Good choice. Where did you get your Mini from? I have had my Monte for 2 years now and I'm starting to get itchy feet. Was hoping to hold off for another year then change as I'm on HP and its not costing a lot. 

Mines was the Dundee MINI garage, nice wee 62 plate Cooper S. I was on HP and was costing very little, but they gave me £400 on top of my settlement figure and I am actually paying slightly less a month now. All I've done all night is listen to the exhaust pop and bang! Love the wee thing.

So good to read some enthusiasts' posts when an alternative car is discussed. Not everyone HAS to have a Skoda to be thought an OK dude, I LOVE the brand but try to be open-minded about cars in general.

So good to read some enthusiasts' posts when an alternative car is discussed. Not everyone HAS to have a Skoda to be thought an OK dude, I LOVE the brand but try to be open-minded about cars in general.

Nope.

If they dont drive a skoda, they arent nice people and i dont wish to associated.

Okay thats a lie.

I agree :).

Minis are nice cars tbh. Just too small inside. Fun to drive though. I enjoyed drivin the 1.5 turbo 130bhp, was fun. Never drivin a cooper S but it must be reallyyyy fun

I don't think anyone would argue that the Mini is bound to handle better and in Cooper S form as quick as a VRS in stock form. Good choice if practicality isn't a massive issue.

However, the less said about those Clubmans, Countrymans and Coupe's the better!

It makes a wee change from folk panning the vRS anyway.

Edited by Brian 69
  • Like 1

Re-sale of a mini is by far superior to that of a Fabia VRS of the same year.

I see my old 2005 Fabia VRS selling for around £1800 - £2500. 

Whereas same year Mini Cooper selling from £4000 - £5000.

The only reason that I did not buy a new Cooper at the time of buying the old Fabia VRS, was that, it had 4 doors.

Mini's now have 4 doors, but are so far out of my affordability, makes it impossible.

Re-sale of a mini is by far superior to that of a Fabia VRS of the same year.

I see my old 2005 Fabia VRS selling for around £1800 - £2500.

Whereas same year Mini Cooper selling from £4000 - £5000.

The only reason that I did not buy a new Cooper at the time of buying the old Fabia VRS, was that, it had 4 doors.

Mini's now have 4 doors, but are so far out of my affordability, makes it impossible.

Minis are one of the least depreciating cars iirc

Minis are one of the least depreciating cars iirc

Aye, there's obviously a big market of hairdressers and nail bar owners out there.

Percentage wise they do hold their value but they're pricey wee buggers in the first place, which means you can still lose a bit when measured in £s.

• Like 1

Aye, there's obviously a big market of hairdressers and nail bar owners out there.

Percentage wise they do hold their value but they're pricey wee buggers in the first place, which means you can still lose a bit when measured in £s.

Oh yeah. They arent cheap.

We were looking at a Cooper with the 1.5 turbo. £15k starting and thats before selecting any options.

Nice though

MINI's can be cheap.   Maybe not where they go back to a 'MINI Main Dealer',  and they try to keep residuals high.

Go up to Aberdeen say where the 'Good Residual' Keep their Value MINI's are plenty full, 

and there are Older Models. not so old models, nearly new models. 

and Last Years Models coming in because the New MINI Cooper Works is about to launch.

You can get bargains, maybe you do just need to pay the Windscreen Sticker or Advert Price.

Private Purchases or at Independents can be as 'Cherished' as those nice ones at the 'MINI' Dealership.

New, they are a rip off. Mines has come with half-leather interior (£900), Bluetooth (£500), bonnet stripes (£90), heated front screen (£300), cruise control (£300). I get no mpg gauge on the trip computer, because that was a £90 option. Cable to connect your ipod to the car as part of the phone package? That'll be £45 to you sir. That and the stereo has been deliberately held back so people go for the upgraded units (sounds like a mouse farting through a foghorn). However the stereo is an easy enough fix, and on the whole it is a fantastic, amazingly stiff and superb handling car, but easy to drive and (hopefully) efficient. They pulled wonders with it if you prioritise handling above all else and need occasional rear seat and boot space.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...