wider tyres on the back, why would you?

I saw an add for some cheap alloys that I though might do as winter rims so I asked the seller about them and about the tyres they come with.  No answer yet on rim width and offset but the tyres are:

Front 225/40/18

Rear 235/40/18

Why?  Just why?__I'm probably being a middle aged grump and jumping to conclusions but I'm now picturing the seller as a young boy racer that tricked his car out and put the wider tyres on for looks.... Not that you would notice!

His car is (or perhaps 'was') a golf. No idea on exact type.  OK if its an R or GTI maybe wider tyres for dry grip but wouldn't you do all 4? Just the rear would do f*** all surely?!

I'm only after the rims really but if I get them... What to do with a pair of 235/40/18 tyres? Fit to the front in the summer and wear out, or eBay?

I'm a puzzled grump!

Doesn't that make the rear 'wheel' larger as well?

The quoted sizes will have a larger circumference at the rear yes.

BMW reduce the profile % to compensate for this.

Obviously the guy is a spoon, I'd just put the tyres on one of the local relevant Facebook selling pages for £20 and be done with them.

I saw an add for some cheap alloys that I though might do as winter rims so I asked the seller about them and about the tyres they come with.  No answer yet on rim width and offset but the tyres are:

Front 225/40/18

Rear 235/40/18

Why?  Just why?__I'm probably being a middle aged grump and jumping to conclusions but I'm now picturing the seller as a young boy racer that tricked his car out and put the wider tyres on for looks.... Not that you would notice!

His car is (or perhaps 'was') a golf. No idea on exact type.  OK if its an R or GTI maybe wider tyres for dry grip but wouldn't you do all 4? Just the rear would do f*** all surely?!

I'm only after the rims really but if I get them... What to do with a pair of 235/40/18 tyres? Fit to the front in the summer and wear out, or eBay?

I'm a puzzled grump!

Sell them to a VW EOS owner. (Std. tyre size if the car has the 18" wheel option.)

Yes the rear size is taller by 40% of the extra 10 mm of width, you wouldn't notice that.  

Yes well, if the seller responds with the info I need ( rim width and offset)_and I buy the rims, I think those tyres will be sold on cheaply.

Front 225/40/18

Rear 235/40/18

I'm a puzzled grump!

Square setup seems to be the norm with most cars FWD cars, however a non-sq set up is favoured on RWD cars, BMW is a good example of this.

The tyre sizes detailed above are wrong for a perfect match.

225/40  v 235/40

Diameter 637.2mm v 645.2mm

Circumference 2001.8mm v 2027mm

Poke 42.6mm v 32.6mm

Inset 122.6mm v 132.6mm

Speedo error 0% v -1.24%

Reading at 30mph  30mph v 29.63mph

Reading at 60mph 60mph v 59.26mph

Ride height gain 0mm v 4mm

Arch gap loss 0mm v 4mm

Lets just say you wanted non sq set up, 225/40/18 upfront and 255/35/18 would be the perfect match.. (but then you need to check the rim width, clearance etc.. )

ie - Front 225/40 v Rear 155/30

Diameter 637.2mm v 635.7mm

Circumference 2001.8mm v 1997.1mm

Poke 42.6mm v 32.6mm

Inset 122.6mm v 132.6mm

Speedo error 0% v 0.24%

Reading at 30mph 30mph v 30.07mph

Reading at 60mph 60mph v 60.14mph

Ride height gain 0mm v -0.75mm

Arch gap loss 0mm v -0.75mm

Not sure how ABS sensors, TPS etc work and tollerance but if the rolling circumfrance differs you could get issues with error

Edited by RickTT