Is this bad?

Welcome to the forum. 

There are so many threads on the subject, so maybe have a scan down the threads in this section.

I will link one recent thread that might explain all.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/341721-pre-new-ish-car-jitters

Edited by goneoffSKi

Ive been told the car I'm going to buy is a bad move - it's a 2012 reg fabia vrs with 66,000 miles on. It's on sale for £7500. Am I making a bad move??

My 61 plate Estate is for sale with 50,000 miles for £6950

I wouldnt touch a 60k one myself , would want far less miles and a warranty personally

Aye, although the Skoda-approved extended warranty would be available (unless it was first registered in January '12!) the price is a bit strong for that mileage. Better value to be had elsewhere.

Edited by Brian 69

It was registered in March 2012. What is this warranty you speak of? I think it's being sold as its over 66000 and no one wants it

The manufacturer's warranty will expire at the end of March. You can take out a Skoda-approved warranty (underwritten by Car Care and sold by Skoda dealerships) for one or two years (best to go for two years as it is better value and you get a pro rata return less a small administration charge if you cancel before the two years expire and you haven't made a claim - it's about £500 for two years - more expensive if you take breakdown as well). It's obviously not as wide as the manufacturer's warranty (the cost of diagnostic testing to find a fault is not covered for example) but it is still pretty comprehensive.

If you want a vRS I think you could get something newer (with more of the manufacturer's warranty still to run) and with fewer miles for that sort of money.

Edited by Brian 69
  • Like 1

Enquire at a Skoda Dealership or Skoda UK Customer Services about a 

'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty', which is provided by Car Care Plan ltd.

£399 for 12 months, £547 for 24 months, or near that.

Skoda UK Customer Services can tell you the Service & Warranty History of the car if the Services were done at Skoda Dealerships.

(They might say you need an Inspection done before you can purchase a Warranty.)

The car might be due Service Campaign work on the DSG if not already done.

This should not cost anything.

EDIT, 

sorry, Brian has quicker typing skills.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

So this warranty would cover me if the engine was to go bust? Same with the gearbox?

it would help but there would no doubt be a contribution needed on a 60,000 mile engine i would expect

Thanks guys.

So this warranty would cover me if the engine was to go bust? Same with the gearbox?

In theory yes...

Seriously though, it should do. I took the gamble anyway :ph34r: , but then I'd already owned the car for two years, so different circumstances. I'd still personally look elsewhere for a vRS, but it's your call.

Checking the history with Skoda for any warranty work (including the DSG service campaign) and a full dealer service history are absolute necessities prior to purchase - and it would be preferable if you could speak to the previous owner.

it would help but there would no doubt be a contribution needed on a 60,000 mile engine i would expect

There's nothing in the Skoda-approved warranty wording about any contribution based on mileage - I've read it from cover to cover! George will know the wording off by heart!

Im going to call them tomorrow and ask for money off. It had £500 knocked off at the start of the month I believe so I can imagine to shift it they'll take some more off.

I think my best bet would to look elsewhere

Im going to call them tomorrow and ask for money off. It had £500 knocked off at the start of the month I believe so I can imagine to shift it they'll take some more off.

I think my best bet would to look elsewhere

Yip, go for something newer and with fewer miles.

I'd be looking for more than £500 off that one.

Can i suggest you talk first to Skoda UK Customer Services & ask the History of the car.

It might not be the Original Engine still in,

It might have had the Breather / Valve Mod and ECU Update, 

it might have anything or nothing done.

If Heated Seats, these might need the Elements changed, again Free.

Once you know the Service & Warranty History you might know more than the Seller does.

There's nothing in the Skoda-approved warranty wording about any contribution based on mileage - I've read it from cover to cover! George will know the wording off by heart!

Standard warranty only covers until 60,000 miles , is there no limit on the extended warranty?

Standard warranty only covers until 60,000 miles , is there no limit on the extended warranty?

Mine says - "Expiry Mileage - Unlimited".

However, you have a point. Not sure they'll sell you an extended warranty if you're effectively out of the manufacturer's warranty.

Edited by Brian 69

Mine says - "Expiry Mileage - Unlimited".

All the rest say 100,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first

I would bet if you had a failure at 99,999miles you would need to pay a significant contribution since fair and wear and tear is excluded by most plans , at 60,000 miles or so they still might ask you to pay something towards it