Is this bad?

It could have been low from the off (hopefully) and the drive home has dropped it to minimum.

OP start a record now and make notes of mileage, oil quantity added, date etc just to be on the safe side. Might be worth making this know to the supplying dealer, via email and verbal to begin with.

I checked before I started it and it was spot on. I've not checked since and I've done 600 miles in ten days. Not boosting it anywhere except for when there was a hill in front of me. I'm going to check it now and I'll report back with my findings.

Whatever it's preference it shouldn't use oil at that rate. Booting it about just increases overall engine temp and as things expand with heat the piston rings are a better seal in the barrel.

OP - you need to start thinking about it seriously and also report it to the supplying dealership now.

Also speak with george as he knows the most on this matter. It sounds like an issue to me I'm afraid to say

Don't panic, but it sounds like mine was. First time I saw the oil light I chucked a litre in, then ran it again till the light appeared. That gave me a miles per litre figure. D M Keith in Bradford shame on them laughed at me. So I rang Skoda UK. They gave me a case number and sent me to RRG in Rochdale who were brilliant. Mine was a used approved Skoda, and after some faffing a new engine was installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be for the greater good if you do have a duffer engine. That way you can fight for a new one and then once done you can relax

so they should be, their getting well paid to fit you a new engine

unless you've actually been there and witnessed it for yourself you don't understand I don't think its about the money it's just a case of they treat you like a customer should be treated, they even valeted my car after a oil consumption test wasn't part of the procedure but it just makes you appreciate the garage more and feel more like a valued customer
  • Like 1

Indeed, but if I walk out feeling that they've done their job properly, they've got the right outcome, and they've gone the extra mile to ensure I'm happy I'll recommend them. I've had the best Skoda experience at RRG since the happy days at Horners in Bury. They and Parkside in Bolton made me a repeat Skoda buyer. After the way D M Keith treated me after I'd bought the car from them I'd never set foot in the door again. I'd recommend anyone with a VRS and an oil usage problem go to them, they know what they're doing, they're not in denial about it, and they go the extra mile to ensure that you are not inconvenienced. For me it a mini valet every time, a decent sized courtesy car, the big apologies when they only had their collection car available for me as some work had over run. Yes of course they're in it for the money, but they at least provide a good and proper service for their money, they ring when they say they will, and speak candidly and honestly. I can't recommend them enough. Craig said to me the first time I went in, 'the important thing is we get the car sorted ' and that is exactly what they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

im sorry but your not their mate, your ££££ in the business pocket, yes some are better than others but your a cash cow to them and nothing more, mine valet the car every visit but i still cant recommend them

Im using an independent skoda garage for my major service at the end of the month.

Theyve managed to convince me they care more and will do a better job than a main dealer, and its £70 cheaper which is a bonus.

I dont care for a valet and i certainly under no circumstances do i want them washing my car.

I just want then to be good with spanners n treat my stuff with loads of respect.

Thats all i ask for.

I do hope you get this sorted, warranty or not i would not like the hassle of having to return a car i had just bought due to an issue that is well documented on this and other forums..... less than impressed would be an under statement.

So to summarise, the chap has bought a 12 plate CAVE engined mk2 vrs from Arnold Clark, but not an Arnold Clark Skoda franchised garage. The car has had an engine replacement noted on the book at around 28k and then done 38k in a little over a year and a half, with no notes anywhere to indicate if replacement engine is also an oil user. 600 miles after picking up the car (when the oil level was checked and fine) and the check oil warning light has come on.

My advice to the chap would be to make immediate contact with Skoda UK Customer Services and make known to them that there may very well be a potential problem with oil consumption on the car, and to check his knowledge of the previous history against that held by Skoda UK. I would ask them to raise a case number, and arrange for the car to go into a nearby Skoda dealer of your choosing for an oil consumption test at Skoda UK cost. I would also take careful note of oil checks carried out inc mileage, dates and amount of oil added, if any. Please keep all receipts as you may need them later to obtain refund for the cost of the oil you had to buy.

I would also go straight to Arnold Clark supplying dealer and notify them of the problem as you normally only get a 60 day warranty from Arnold Clark, especially as this wasn't bought from the franchised dealer out at Linwood. It is debatable who needs to step up and foot the bill for this work and potential replacement of engine, it should be either AC or Skoda UK, but certainly not yourself. For peace of mind I would also confirm with Henry's that they did in fact carry out the engine change and whether or not they were aware of any further oil consumption issues thereafter.

I empathise with your position. I too bought a 12 plate CAVE engined VRS mk2 from a non franchised Arnold Clark garage. I bought it with 21200 miles on the clock and the engine required a change 3 months later. I was fortunate to have the car covered by standard warranty, and if you act quickly so too will you. The cost of replacement engine is over £4.5k so it's well worth getting the problem addressed quickly, and by Skoda UK themselves.

Sittingbull thankyou. I'm currently in Newcastle on a break and I'm going to call them tomorrow. I'm going to check my oil after I'm back. Another 100/150 miles or so and I'll report back with my findings. The main reason I've not been booting it is because I was worried about the oil consumption, although I expected it to be none as it had a replacement engine 38k ago.

• Like 1

Sittingbull thankyou. I'm currently in Newcastle on a break and I'm going to call them tomorrow. I'm going to check my oil after I'm back. Another 100/150 miles or so and I'll report back with my findings. The main reason I've not been booting it is because I was worried about the oil consumption, although I expected it to be none as it had a replacement engine 38k ago.

you need to get acting as quickly as possible, the longer you leave it the more time your warranty will be ticking over , plus you should have a extended two years warranty at the time that engine was replaced either way your in a great position here for a brand new CTHE engine which has uprated internals.

i love it when people know what skoda will do before skoda do

hopefully youll get a working engine regardless of what type it is although i doubt they will still have a cave engine lying around its always a possibility, all you want is one that works end of.

As for a warranty, plenty on here got nothing at first and many like myself only got 1 year extra on a car that was only 12 months old so again dont take it as read that you will get more but you must insist on something. My offer started out as a free service from the stealer and it must have took me several months to get the 1 year which also came with 1 year of breakdown, thats confidence for you lol

Much of this is down to how good you are at complaining, theres a thread where you can see many different offers of compensation, it SHOULD be the same for all but its not and i wouldn't be surprised if some never got a thing for their troubles other than the engine

set your stall out and tell them what would make you a happy driver and then see where you get. All in all ive had 3 free services, a years warranty and £300 skoda credit and ive not had to do much other than a few emails and taken a few calls off skoda uk

• Like 1