Octavia II Columbus Antenne Cable Connectors

Hi,
My Columbus RNS510 Nav System was stolen from my Octavia and they tore the Fakra (dark Green or Black) from the DAB Antenna cable, the Blue Fakra Antenna (I assume to be FM/AM Antenna) and the double White Fakra adapter - well, I think thats an adapter because the coax's are terminated with what looks like U.FL connectors (very very small connectors).

Does anyone have any idea where I can get those parts, or even what the Skoda part numbers may be?

Many thanks
Colin

Thanks NinjaVRS.  I have checked on eBay but I am stuck with the White double fakra which I think is an adapter because of the small plugs that terminate the coax's, however, spent all evening rooting around on google and found this which is described as "Original VW adapter kit from simple Fakra to double Fakra connector"

877_0_7L6_051_551.jpg

This may be the part I need but I won't know until I purchase it.

If the metal crimp in terminals are still on the cables then you can buy just the plastic covers to replace the missing ones.

You don't need any cable as in the picture.

DAB = Black

GPS = Blue

Radio = white (double)

If the metal crimp in terminals are still on the cables then you can buy just the plastic covers to replace the missing ones.

You don't need any cable as in the picture.

DAB = Black

GPS = Blue

Radio = white (double)

Have a look on eBay for a seller called 'China RF'.

It depends to a certain extent on the metal crimp though, some are specific to the connector housing itself and the universal connectors from China RF may not fit as securely as you might hope.

Sadly I couldn't find a UK seller of the simple connectors you refer to when I looked recently, so I had to wait for the Chinese post too...

I found Fakra kits for the GPS (Blue) and FM/AM antenna (White double). Won't be beyond my skill to install those if my terminations are incompatible. So, job done.

Blue - http://www.ebay.de/itm/Crimp-Stecker-FAKRA-Antenne-Kontakt-Antennenstecker-RG174-Antenne-Reparatur-SET-/371246027369

White - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fakra-Twin-car-radio-stereo-aerial-Antenna-connector-adaptor-Repair-End-Part-/151549646179?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2349101563

Next task, find a window fit DAB antenna. Any ideas/recommendations?

Just fitted mine. Pretty easy from the rear and good reception so far...

Toying with whether to put some clear sealant around the rubber base though.

Edited by adamal

I did and when I removed the antenna the sealant had caused the paint to blister and was a PIA to remove without damage.

I'd maybe try Vaseline instead.

I put a tiny bit of black on the outside of the seal and wiped excess away. I did think of Vaseline and tried it but it looks messy and not permanent.

I spent a lot of time googling sticky on the glass antennas and I have concluded that they are not that great performance wise so I am minded to got the roof way.

My Octavia is a 2008 Laurin & Klement with factory RNS510 Nav so I intend to replace the roof mount with:-

OEM 1K0035501J Original Skoda - Roof Shark Antenna GPS, GSM, RADIO, DAB RADIO, WEBASTO

The original antenna installation does not have DAB or GSM and I need both so I’m going to have to run 2 additional coax’s.  I would not normally run shy of such a task, but I am not sure what problems I going to run into, particularly because this car has airbags all over the place, plus I don’t have a nice heated garage with tea making facilities :yawn:

By the way, is “WEBASTO” the OEM or some technical term?

Regarding sealant on antenna mounts: I wouldn’t.  These things are designed to seal under compression.  So, given the mounting is tightened to the extent that the mount does not move, and don't over tighten the thing, I would say that’s job done.  My problem with adding stuff under the mount is that that may interfere with the mount seal.  If you feel inclined to add extra insurance, I would recommend using grease (or Vaseline) built up around the perimeter of the mount hole, but not to contaminate the mount seat.

I agree about not contaminating the seat of the seal. I added a tiny bit of silicone around the outside of the seal after install to keep it sealed (it is a good seal but does not seem 100% perfect so I feel more comfortable this way - just hope it doesn't damage the paint!).

Webasto is the heater used in colder climates and the curry connector is for the remote receiver to turn it on (not diversity - see the other thread you contributed too).

I have exact same setup as you and struggled in the cold too. They key is to keep any cables above the side airbags. With hindsight it is probably easier to drop the headlining but I did a write up in the DAB aerials thread I linked to above as to how I managed without.

Edited by adamal