2.0l Diesel turbo, engine and DPF blown

Mrs Balfy

Has anyone come accross a situation where the engine and DPF are knackered because of a turbo seize?

I'm thinking this could end up being a VERY expensive problem and wanting to know if I'm the only poor sod its happened to....

If the turbo has seized I think the DPF is the last of your worries. I've not come across it; a failed turbo usually leads to very poor performance but not destruction of the engine, unless the turbo had actually fallen apart and parts have gone into the engine.

• Like 1

Has anyone come accross a situation where the engine and DPF are knackered because of a turbo seize?

I'm thinking this could end up being a VERY expensive problem and wanting to know if I'm the only poor sod its happened to....

Very unusual!

Can you provide more details?

The garage said they couldn't turn the engine and got another trusted guy they use to take it apart and it seems it needs the turbo the engine and probably the DPF replaced.

Car has been serviced on an annual basis. 5 years old around 55000 miles.

Was driving along in 3rd gear and accelerated, but then there was a shudder then it revved on its own right through the red line and then spewed white smoke out of the exhaust and stopped.

Would not restart and was towed to garage. Told complete failure.

any advice on where we go from here? We have had the car from new and it was well maintained and looked after. Gutted.

I'm more up on aero engines than the workings of a modern diesel, but isn't there a potential problem with turbo oil seal failure, oil is then ingested into the induction system which ignites. Leads to rpm runaway, ignoring any rev limiter and empties the oil sump with the resultant engine seizure? 

• Like 1

Unfortunately you will struggle to get any compensation from Skoda with a 5 year old car, as reading between the lines, the car has been serviced by an independent.

Assuming I am wrong, you can only ask for some contribution for the repair.

A direct plea by telephone to SUK may help your case--I have experience with another marque where the importer/distributor picked up the bill for the parts and I paid for the labour charges, in similar circumstances. I understand also your case may be helped, if you you can show some history of brand loyalty to Skoda

As aerofurb has said , it is not that unusual for the turbo seal to fail and the engine to consume its own sump oil. It will run on till the oil has all gone, unless you deliberately stall the engine, to stop it.

Good luck anyway.

I'm more up on aero engines than the workings of a modern diesel, but isn't there a potential problem with turbo oil seal failure, oil is then ingested into the induction system which ignites. Leads to rpm runaway, ignoring any rev limiter and empties the oil sump with the resultant engine seizure? 

I thought exactly what Aerofurb thought before reading his post, it is a problem which has happened on many engines from different manufacturers before, sorry to hear this has happened but I think you may have a good case to argue that modern engine components shouldn't fail at 55,000 miles.

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Car has been with dealership for last week taking apart engine and running diagnostics to trace fault.

We have been told that the EGR valve failed, took water in and destroyed the engine.

We are being told that because it was not serviced at a dealership then there is no goodwill. Next step is to contact Skoda UK ourselves.

We have had the car from new. Top of range Yeti. This is a five year old car with 55,000miles that has been serviced exactly as described in the service manual with Skoda parts. Why should this one component cause such a catastrophic failure? I would have thought that the engine diagnostics would have put it into limp home mode rather than just blowing up.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on how we best move this issue forward with Skoda UK.

If the EGR valve failed initially and caused the damage and that can be proven, the fact that other components on the engine may not have been genuine Skoda can't be held as a cause or a reason to deny a goodwill claim, can they? 

Of course, you would just have to prove that that was the cause of it all first. It would be interesting to know if it is a known issue.

I seem to remember it was the (American) EGR valve (or its sensor, I forget now - it was mounted just behind the coolant header tank) that I had go intermittent on TIBET I. Malaysian ones were apparently much better. Result was exhaust warning light on, replaced by very efficient Skoda assist bloke one Sunday morning.

• Like 1

I wonder if any extended warranty would have covered such a failure? Meanwhile commiserations on such a disastrous engine failure...

Out of interest was the Skoda garage repair estimate competitive or were/are you hoping that the Skoda route could generate some Skoda contribution to the repair?