Yeti competitor from Renault: the Kadjar

That's a fair comment Johann and I do realise that. The reasons for my comment was you are used to the DSG -VAG box which I also had on my Yeti and it was superb. Nissan have played around with the CVT attempting to make it have a stepped gearing effect similar to the DSG feel, there has been all sorts of problems with it and many software updates, but the complainers seem to be quiet now, maybe they have sorted it out. Sadly what you find with the QQ forum, people will moan and moan but not then come back and say it is sorted, only coming back when they have something else to moan about. This is not like the Yeti forum at all where everyone seems to ask a question without making an issue of it and also tend to defend the Yeti in every respect, as I still do.

I would have gone for the CVT but as I stated earlier I do not like the way it drives, perhaps when I had my initial test drive after owning the DSG Yeti I was not like the new feel, but in fairness I only drove it for about 15 miles.

That's a fair comment Johann and I do realise that. The reasons for my comment was you are used to the DSG -VAG box which I also had on my Yeti and it was superb. Nissan have played around with the CVT attempting to make it have a stepped gearing effect similar to the DSG feel, there has been all sorts of problems with it and many software updates, but the complainers seem to be quiet now, maybe they have sorted it out. Sadly what you find with the QQ forum, people will moan and moan but not then come back and say it is sorted, only coming back when they have something else to moan about. This is not like the Yeti forum at all where everyone seems to ask a question without making an issue of it and also tend to defend the Yeti in every respect, as I still do.

I would have gone for the CVT but as I stated earlier I do not like the way it drives, perhaps when I had my initial test drive after owning the DSG Yeti I was not like the new feel, but in fairness I only drove it for about 15 miles.

I'll be able to report soon I hope. :) I think CVT's are something the devil himself invented but I will NEVER have a manual car in my life ever again. So even a Devil-gearbox is better than a manual day to day car in my (yes I know!) lazy book.

• 2 weeks later...

As this is a Kadjar topic, I will point out that Kadjar will have Renault's DSG (called EDC) so it should perform as good as DSG. Only without reliability issues ;)

As this is a Kadjar topic, I will point out that Kadjar will have Renault's DSG (called EDC) so it should perform as good as DSG. Only without reliability issues ;)

I was going to ask... the Kadjar reviews talk about a dual-clutch auto. I assume that this will end up as the replacement for the CVT in Nissans? After all, makes no sense for a vendor to have both types of auto. The CVT is not something I'd be interested in (despite its theoretical efficiency advantages)...

I had a Grand Vitara with the 1.9 Renault engine...it was not a patch on the previous model with the 1.9 Peugeot engine.

I was going to ask... the Kadjar reviews talk about a dual-clutch auto. I assume that this will end up as the replacement for the CVT in Nissans? After all, makes no sense for a vendor to have both types of auto. The CVT is not something I'd be interested in (despite its theoretical efficiency advantages)...

Nope... Nissan will stick with their CVT. And why it vwould not make sense? If Renault already has this tech, it is probably quite clever to use both autoboxes in different brands. You know... there are many people who prefer CVT. Dont ask me why  :D

BTW. I'm really considering Kadjar as my next car... tried it myself last week and it REALLY is that good. My only gripe (I hope thats a word :D) is that if only they'd put some powerful engine there (look my current car stats and You understand...). And diesel 4x4 with autobox would be ideal this time.

Edited by ents

Johann, I'm sure you will like much of the QQ.  After almost 6 months with mine, my only gripe is the fierceness of the clutch which still leads me into occasional stalls when setting off. The Yeti was much more forgiving!

I used the 7-seat facility for a week recently when daughter and family were visiting: despite the small(ish, 1.6) engine, very impressive on the steep Yorkshire hills with four adults and two children aboard, and the fuel economy only dipped from 53.5 to 52 overall.

Johann, I'm sure you will like much of the QQ.  After almost 6 months with mine, my only gripe is the fierceness of the clutch which still leads me into occasional stalls when setting off. The Yeti was much more forgiving!

I used the 7-seat facility for a week recently when daughter and family were visiting: despite the small(ish, 1.6) engine, very impressive on the steep Yorkshire hills with four adults and two children aboard, and the fuel economy only dipped from 53.5 to 52 overall.

This is totally OT apologies... :)

Sigh...  Well...  I have a car with a CVT gearbox but a Nissan QQ it ain't. The lease company messed up badly and then another company was picked and my boss ordered cars without consulting me. Argh. So we get one micro-Mercedes for him (a CLA with hardly enough boot space for three people's bags and horrid rear head room) and for the rest of us... Toyota Corollas. All in white. Dearie me. I was utterly gutted. 

They are high spec at least with auto mirrors, auto wipers, auto headlights (that have ZERO German algorithm in them - so they do NOT go on when the wipers are on for example - sigh), electric folding mirrors and a colour rear view camera - but NO reversing sensors. That last bit is just silly. Ugliest dash by a country mile in any car of this class. But, there's fewer of them around in Turkey than the ubiquitous VW Jetta and Renault Flattulence (Fluance) so on that level it is ok. It does what it needs to do and will do it for all the time I have it.

The Bluetooth is amazing compared to the Yeti's. It connects to the phone easy, I can skip tracks, see album art, same happens if I connect it via a USB cable. First morning I was listening to BBC 4 in my apartment via a Bluetooth connection from my iPhone to a Marshall speaker. I got in the car and when I started it all of a sudden I had BBC 4 right in the basement of my apartment and all the way to work. Neat.

But that gearbox. Horrid.  Better than a manual for sure when you don't push on. Then you are totally unaware of the gears changing. But floor it and instantly it goes to 6,000 rpm, stays there and slowly but surely the car goes faster and faster but the engine note stays just the same at a frantic 6,000 rpm. Awful. The 6,000 rpm is also a clue as the fuel type. Thankfully it is a 1,6 petrol and not the 1,4 diesel that has 90hp and 0-60 in FIFTEEN SECONDS! This one is 11 or something. So no rocket ship but gets me where I want to go. So all good. Beats using Uber taxis all the time so even though The Thing is an utter appliance, it has crawled under my skin. Like a Bulldog. Ugly but loveable.

post-55900-0-73689900-1434994478_thumb.jpg

post-55900-0-43907900-1434994494_thumb.jpg

post-55900-0-91153400-1434994507_thumb.jpg

Good luck with that!!

It was a 1.6 Corolla Auto we had in Canada and it did not like climbing some of the passes west of Vancouver. Hunted between gears and the fuel consumption was terrible, but once we got to the Prairies it was fine, but on 18 miles flat straights it ought to have been,

Good luck with that!!

It was a 1.6 Corolla Auto we had in Canada and it did not like climbing some of the passes west of Vancouver. Hunted between gears and the fuel consumption was terrible, but once we got to the Prairies it was fine, but on 18 miles flat straights it ought to have been,

Thanks...  I'll enjoy my appliance for what it is. An appliance. A white one at that. Sigh.

• 9 months later...

I've seen plenty of Kadjars around Northampton - surprisingly so for such a new car - so I reckon Nissan are doing alright with it. It looks pretty decent to me, but I've just had a play with their finance calculator and it came out at a whopping £62 a month more than the comparable Yeti I've got on order. That's over £2.5k more over the life of the contract!

This was the 1.2 Turbo petrol. The list price was £500 more than the discounted price I negotiated for the Yeti, but Renault are offering £1000 depoait contribution as opposed to £750 offered by Skoda when I put my order in. The difference in price is mainly the interest on the finance. 0% for Skoda (this was pre-April) versus something like 6% for the Renault. In fairness though, the Renault is a very new car whereas the Yeti is entering its 7th year.

There's no doubt about it, the modern small capacity turbo petrols are remarkable and so diesel like also.

As you say - a combination of their improved driving characteristics and economy and the 'negatives' diesel being more widely known will see a significant move back in favour of petrol in the UK.

I suspect the mayors of London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Athens, Madrid, Lisbon, Prague ...................might have a say in the future of alternatives to not just diesel but the reciprocating engine in their environment.

As you say - a combination of their improved driving characteristics and economy and the 'negatives' diesel being more widely known will see a significant move back in favour of petrol in the UK.

Many think the infrastructure to support the fuel cell vehicle is a stumbling block, but Australia installed the autogas infrastructure to support the disposal of the waste gas from the Bass Strait oil and gas field.

It'll happen with Toyota at the front it seems with that gas.