boot won't latch or lock

I had a brake light fail last week, so I changed it and went to shut the boot and it wouldn't latch.  it hasn't done since.  it won't lock / unlock with the key.. I just have a bungee cord holding it shut for the moment.  Any ideas?

maybe not lookking at piccys online

7e60_1_zpskyc49nmj.jpg

nicked this one.

get a screwdriver inside the gap marked in white circle and try and flick the switch over

• Like 1

Wick.. I took the trim off tonight, disconnected the cable and shut the boot.. guess what!! it stayed shut.. and now I can't open it.. grrr.. has my sockets, screwdrivers in the boot.. only thing I can try it to move the latch via the ski hatch in the back seat with a bar or the like.. duh to me..

must be electrical and stopping the latch from releasing

Edited by technics100

Wick.. I took the trim off tonight, disconnected the cable and shut the boot.. guess what!! it stayed shut.. and now I can't open it.. grrr.. has my sockets, screwdrivers in the boot.. only thing I can try it to move the latch via the ski hatch in the back seat with a bar or the like.. duh to me..

must be electrical and stopping the latch from releasing

I'm going to ask the question "have you tried the key?" instead of pressing the button on the fob. (Just in case you did not know taking the key out of the boot lock in a certai postion stops the fob opening the boot - as a security measure).

I have had my boot latch not work in the past as in not locking. What it turned out to be was the plastic casing on the hook latch had been broken and come off. It was hard to tell. This ment there was a few mm difference to where the bar on the car pushed on it. By adjusting the bar it temperaily solved the problem until I got a new latch mechinism from ebay on the cheap.

OK, had a go tonight and got the latch open through the ski hatch inside.. used a length of wooden architrave to open the catch..  I then disconnected the cable and unhooked it from the solenoid.. so boot is now shutting and then opening with the key.  the solnoid isn't getting 12v when I lock and unlock the car. anyone any ideas?  numberplate lights are still working to the boot is getting 12V..

Edited by technics100