help me pleaseee oil light

hi update!!! 

so went to the garage yesturday morning, i told them on phone light only comes on when its at running temp(it never over heats) he said its a common fault for sump to be dirty etc and he would change pressure switch, so anyway he rings yesturday and says its fixed, i was like ok have you had it upto running temp and he was like oh yes , and its fine, anyway went and collected car , paid £95 , on way home guess what oil light comes on !! again still driving fine, rang garage he said right well i can chance the pressure switch as that might be faulty , which i already thought id paid for, it turns out they had cleaned the sump and checked for blockages, flushed oil and replaced it and new oil filter, im so sick of this car i though the whole point of it going to garage was to change the switch thing, he said hel do it monday but im so sick of spending so much on it, he did say its a good car and drives well. if it is a oil pressure pump which i wont replace will i be ok driving it for a while, ive drove it 2 weeks with the light on and its been fine, do you guys think it sounds like the swtch/sensor thing? he charged me £30 just for oil is this abot right? thanks again

i tried to get

Well yes, but from the OP's point of view, it might be confusing if a bunch of people say look for oil leaking through the sensor, and then someone else says, no, I don't agree.

Maybe if you'd said "oil leaking through isn't the only way that a false low pressure warning can be generated", it would have been clearer.

By far the quickest and easiest check to do (<5 min even for a total novice) is to look and see if the sensor has leaked oil into the connector housing. If it has, time for a new switch, if it hasn't then think about other checks.

ive tried to get that pipe off in the pic but cant do i need a special wrench or whatever there called ? x 

hi update!!! 

so went to the garage yesturday morning, i told them on phone light only comes on when its at running temp(it never over heats) he said its a common fault for sump to be dirty etc and he would change pressure switch, so anyway he rings yesturday and says its fixed, i was like ok have you had it upto running temp and he was like oh yes , and its fine, anyway went and collected car , paid £95 , on way home guess what oil light comes on !! again still driving fine, rang garage he said right well i can chance the pressure switch as that might be faulty , which i already thought id paid for, it turns out they had cleaned the sump and checked for blockages, flushed oil and replaced it and new oil filter, im so sick of this car i though the whole point of it going to garage was to change the switch thing, he said hel do it monday but im so sick of spending so much on it, he did say its a good car and drives well. if it is a oil pressure pump which i wont replace will i be ok driving it for a while, ive drove it 2 weeks with the light on and its been fine, do you guys think it sounds like the swtch/sensor thing? he charged me £30 just for oil is this abot right? thanks again

id tell him to change the sensor and not charge you because you have already paid him for that 

he even said when i rang that hed do the cheap stuff like sensor first but i think coz the light wasnt on he didnt think it needs replaced, but thats coz he never had it upto running temp, he said he had car on for 45 mins in garage and never came on?!

You don't need to unbolt the switch to do the check I'm suggesting, just unplug the single-wire connector that clips onto it.  There will be a little latch that needs to be pushed with a small flat screwdriver to release it. Just been out to take some pictures on mine, will annotate and post in a minute.

Here's the connector unplugged from mine:

20150207_114633.jpg

Inside the pink oval is where you're looking for oiliness:

20150207_114642.jpg

And this shows the connector latch and which way to push it (towards the front of the car when it's plugged onto the switch). The latch only moves a mm or two, and clicks as it releases.

20150207_114650.jpg

HI IS THIS IT IF SOO ITS ABSOLUTLY COVERED IN GUNK I DONT EVEN THINK IL GET IT OFF 

Here's the connector unplugged from mine:

20150207_114633.jpg

Inside the pink oval is where you're looking for oiliness:

20150207_114642.jpg

And this shows the connector latch and which way to push it (towards the front of the car when it's plugged onto the switch). The latch only moves a mm or two, and clicks as it releases.

20150207_114650.jpg

post-126767-0-91200600-1423313316_thumb.jpg

hi all , 

bought a skoda fabia 1.4mpi recently as just passed test been A NGHTMARE, anyway first had to replace the coolant sensor thing and get new cooler holder  tank thing that was 110 then lambada sensor 110 and now my oil light keeps coming on when ever the car gets in the middle of the heat gage thing , it never over heats and still drives fine went to garage today ,he thought was a oil leak so thats what he was looking for today,  anyway light had gone off when there, he said its driving fine but engine top thing had not been put back together from a previous garage(from previous owners) and oil had spilled , but low and behold on way back light came on again when hits mid temp theres defs enough oil, doesnt drive differently when on, i rang him when got home and he said he will check as sensor could be faulty, anyway what i want to know is do i just scrap this car, like is the list going to go on, does it sound like a faulty sensor, i dont wanna get that work done if its not that. thanks in advane x

Hi there, just nosing on this post and noticed you said you paid 110 for the coolant tank? thats £110 right??

If so while you are at it id moan about the pricing of that. the tank itself is £15 online  and comes with the probes in it, fitting it is a hour job max, i hate how much of a ripoff garages are to the unknowing!

not saying advice on here is 100% guaranteed but id say at least ask the question here before spending in the future :p , also my wife just sold her 1.4mpi the coolant sensor thing is a common fault on them but the car was great in the 6yrs we had it so if you can get it sorted cheap id reccomend keeping it!

As in last post, no criticism/nagging etc - keep this post in mind for future reference

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/213819-the-extremely-useful-fabia-1-topic/

and as mentioned in last post, BEFORE heading to garage ,ask on here. Some places ( and even the breakdown services) are not unknown to try it on with young ladies. I was with my daughter when she called one out as battery was a bit low. After ( not before) running engine to check charge rate, he checked the oil and declared it low ( it would be ,as engine had just been switched off) ,and offered oil at some ridiculous price. Unfortunately ,he didn't know she & hubby are bikers,he fixes them up and sometimes she helps him, so she just smiled sweetly and said no .

yeah initially id actually posted a thread on pitonheads and they said i was better to come on here, yeah sounds like ive been totally ripped off, it was 110 for the coolant thing , that was the holder thing and labour then 115 for lamba sensor and now £95 for friday to clean sump and put oil in the oil was £30 alone, and im hoping he doesnt want me to pay more on mon , he did say just bring it down and wel sort a sensor for you, ivonly  had this car a few weeks , i plan on keeping it if it doesnt keep costing more and more it drives really well i was going to get a new one on hp but reversed into some shopping trollies the week after my test so dont want to be getting a new one till im more confident , do you think i should tell the man im not happy paying for new sensor if he charges me he did say it will take half a hour to fix it, but he said on phone initially thats what he was going to do , do the cheap things first stating sensor in this!! thanks again everyone x x 

im not trying to be nasty at all here but  most cowboy garages or even garages on there own take advange on folk that look like theyve just passed there test or are infact a girl. i am not being sexist here at all but most garages will squeeze as much out of you as they can because they think u know nothing about cars had it done to me once and i never gave them a penny because i know what was wrong with my car but cba fixing it my self plus i never had the right tool.

i say u replace the oil sensor and see how you get on i have a 1.4l mpi fabia 2002 with 155k miles on it (petrol) and its still running strong and its not the most looked after fabia either 

i wouldnt scarp it because of what your saying if you replace the sensor and it still doesnt work and u feel like you want to scarp it then by all means its your choice but i would strongly suggest selling it and putting the money towards a new car.

an oil sensor on your car takes around 5-10 minutes to change your self (i brought mine for 7 pounds odds from euro parts)

anyway hope you get this problem fixed :)

safe driving