30,000 service

awfabia

I've got 'free' servicing with my Yeti and it's approaching 30,000 miles. The official Skoda line on replacing air filter, pollen filter and spark plugs seems to be 'if required'.

As replacing items would cost Skoda or the dealership money, I think that they're unlikely to be replaced.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'd rather be informed when presenting the car for service so I can say the right thing to get them replaced rather than them say afterwards ' you should have asked when you brought it in'.

My experience with the local dealer, where I purchased the Yeti , has been excellent so I am hopeful of a continuing satisfactory relationship.

I asked about servicing and was told "the car will tell you when its due"

I have quizzed the car several times now but it remains stubbornly silent :D

I was advised the VW policy is if say the air filter is due to be replaced at 3 years and you have done 30,000 in under three years they will not do it!!

It seems crazy and pennypinching to say the least.... Surely if you have covered the supposed three year mileage you signed up for in the prepaid service package these things should be done.

I imagine the Skoda policy will be the same.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I asked about servicing and was told "the car will tell you when its due"

I have quizzed the car several times now but it remains stubbornly silent :D

Mine is telling me it needs an inspection service in 18000 miles or 699 days.

I've only has it a couple of weeks and have nearly 800 miles on it.

Mine is telling me it needs an inspection service in 18000 miles or 699 days.

I've only has it a couple of weeks and have nearly 800 miles on it.

What is it you say to it? I'm begging mine to tell me it needs new disc pads!

What is it you say to it? I'm begging mine to tell me it needs new disc pads!

Servicing, yes, but disc pads?

I'm pretty sure that was tongue in cheek :devil:

As a rough guide, the air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter and spark plugs are not required until at least three years old or 60,000 miles.

All services, minor/fixed or major/variable before this involve fresh oil and a new oil filter, that's it.

Anyone paying Skoda's national pricing policy of £259 for a variable service is getting nothing more than they would if paying for a £139 fixed service.

• 2 months later...

I've had all the filters changed on mine, 1st time at 13000 miles and just now at 23500 miles.

The dealers workshop said that the changes were not required. Tough, I require them to be changed.

Each change included the fuel filter.

I also changed the oil myself at 6000 and again at 18000, plus it was changed at each service.

I'm sure one or two forum members will say I've wasted my money but, we are all different and treat our vehicles to suit our own needs and wants.

I still think the Yeti is a great car. For it's price (that I paid) the package is perfect.

It appears that the official Skoda UK stance on fixed mileage servicing is:-

20,000 miles service oil+filer + pollen filter

40,000 miles service oil+filter + air filter + fuel filter on diesel or spark plugs on petrol

Thats what I was told when I queried what "if needed" meant

So the 20,000 mile service is a tarted up oil change!!

I've had all the filters changed on mine, .........  I'm sure one or two forum members will say I've wasted my money but, we are all different and treat our vehicles to suit our own needs and wants.

I still think the Yeti is a great car.

Agreed on all counts.

Engine air filter costs £9 to change DIY. Six or 8 cross head screws, can't remember now. Easy to reach in engine bay. 

Cabin filter £10. Slightly tricker to reach in passenger footwell but still easy enough compared to a BMW E36 or Renault Scenic.

Both filters from Opie Oils online.  Also try Euro Car Parts for free delivery.

What's not to like?

Edited by FlintstoneR1

It appears that the official Skoda UK stance on fixed mileage servicing is:-

20,000 miles service oil+filer + pollen filter

40,000 miles service oil+filter + air filter + fuel filter on diesel or spark plugs on petrol

Thats what I was told when I queried what "if needed" meant

So the 20,000 mile service is a tarted up oil change!!

Have you got a link?

Are you referring to a pre-paid / pay monthly service plan?

Skoda UK's fixed / annual / minor service is at 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first.

As they didn't change pollen filter at 30,000 but said it should have been changed at 20,000, readily agreed to change it at my convenience - free of charge.

Not all dealers are difficult to deal with. I know they didn't change it when they ought to have BUT it only took a couple of minutes to ask them and I'm satisfied!

As they didn't change pollen filter at 30,000 but said it should have been changed at 20,000, readily agreed to change it at my convenience - free of charge.

Not all dealers are difficult to deal with. I know they didn't change it when they ought to have BUT it only took a couple of minutes to ask them and I'm satisfied!

a couple of minutes to ask but it needs at least 10 minutes to do (I mean a clean and well done work) .... it's a narrow, difficult place to reach for changing that damn filter, are u sure they do it for free?

unbelievable :angel:

Guest Bettietheyetee

With the Oil Filter I put a mark on it so I know if they replaced  it don't trust any of these garages OK I can check to see if the oil is clean not had a service yet here in Spain so it will be interesting when the time comes  it is very dry and dusty in this region so you would think an air filter would be changed more often or maybe not, as for wiper blades the hot sun kills the rubbers.

With the Oil Filter I put a mark on it so I know if they replaced  it don't trust any of these garages OK I can check to see if the oil is clean not had a service yet here in Spain so it will be interesting when the time comes  it is very dry and dusty in this region so you would think an air filter would be changed more often or maybe not, as for wiper blades the hot sun kills the rubbers.

Check the oil? after some motor revolutions even the new oil is getting dark.....you can visually check it only in the garage at the moment of paying for service, otherwise you waste your time!

do you live in a dusty place? So change the air filter every 10000 15000 km (yes ...km.... in Spain  :notme:   )  My hotty wiper blades last approx 50000 km or 2-3 years! Here the sun is aggressive with the rubber and plastic.....but usually they come to the end for the crusty window and not for the sun :D

• 3 years later...

i asked Skoda UK about fuel filter, manufacturers service regime is to change it at 60,000 miles, so i think their website is misleading to say the least why have it on the major service list if thee is no way it's going to be done

skoda service page.jpg

2 hours ago, judi said:

i asked Skoda UK about fuel filter, manufacturers service regime is to change it at 60,000 miles, so i think their website is misleading to say the least why have it on the major service list if thee is no way it's going to be done

skoda service page.jpg

The use of '^' at the end of those items is Skodas 'Get Out of Jail Card'. 

One option is to book your vehicle in for a Minor Service and get the fuel and air filter replaced as an extra. 

Just think  if you follow the Annual Minor and Major Service regime, you will pay for 3 Major Services before these items are actually replaced. 

Skoda, Simply Clever at charging for things they don't change. 

instead of ^'^' they should simply put 60k at the side of fuel filter, but then nobody would prob have a service with them, so like you say clever get out of jail free card, took me ages to get a straight answer from them as to when it would be changed 

Been discussed for years. Skoda know. Skoda don't care.

Always pay for a minor / fixed service and add the extra filters from their menu pricing at the required age / mileage.