2.5 TDI Hydraulic Lifters

oh_superb

I'd be very surprised if you could.  But then again I am a rank amateur and my level of 'expertise' is to be taken with a rather large pinch of salt  :sun:

Gaz

• Like 1

I have a tappety tappet for a few days, now quiet, strange how bad it was and now nothing.

I was thinking of pulling the cam cover off and having an inspection. Based on some photos I have seen I would say it is likely you are right. In which case new tappets and followers will have to wait until the timing belt job in a year's time. Due at 148000, now on 134000. But might just bite the bullet and go for it.

@Gaz: my thoughts exactly - my own rookie level refrained me from expressing them...

@oh_superb: is this your second timing belt job? Curious as I did mine at 120 k km (75 k m) and I don't know if the second change should happen sooner.

Trimis de pe al meu D5503 folosind Tapatalk

I replaced several hydraulic buckets on my Mk2 GTi valver (KR) a good many years ago when she blew a head gasket.  It was only after replacing them I found out you could actually get them apart and clean them up.  Not that I'm saying this is achievable with the Superb's ones.  Bloke over on ClubGTi also said you could sort out noisy hydraulic tappets by running 0.5 litre of ATF in your oil prior to an oil change as the detergent properties of the ATF are gentler and clean better than using engine flush.  Not that I'm suggesting you try - I'm one of those luddites who believes engine flush does more harm than good, but it's an interesting point.  

I seem to remember you've looked at your cams before and they're okay, so at least you haven't got that to worry about.

Gaz

Right cylinder head has 50k Mile old cams as I had a new head put onto the engine due to broken glow plugs. I inspected this head and cams a year ago when I had to replace the special injector with needle lift sensor. And it was pukka. The other head, ahem, has been in the dark confines of the cam cover for 12 years and 134000 miles. Lobe number one looks good through the oil filler but there are any others there too sitting in the dark. Now I tempted to have a good look considering the AYM has a tendency to eat cams! BUT mine has been on a synthetic oil diet with fresh oil every 7-8k miles, so Carbon build up, clogging of oil holes and grinding of cams should not be present. You never know though. A set of lifters and followers can be had for £160 but removing cams is a pain.

I had a new timing belt kit put onto the engine when I had the new head installed. So new belt kit due at 150k. So not yet, but if cams are coming out then would tick that service item off too.

Edited by oh_superb