Does anybody tow a caravan with their Rapid - pics please

Thinking about whether to use the Octavia vRS ot Rapid Sport to tow our van.  The current van is too heay for the Rapid (if i'm reading in to it correctly) but we may be down sizing anyway.

How does it cope?  Even solo, the Rapid seems to be affected by side winds quite a bit so i'm a little sceptical......

Can you help please?

Cheers, David

I've only managed to find 3 caravans that the Rapid can tow without going over the 85% and using the towcar website.

They are:

Freedom Microlite

Sterckeman Starlett 380CP (the biggest one it can tow in the range)

Lunar Ariva - the only one I would consider buying but the most expensive of the 3 by far

Unfortunately the Lunar one is relatively new so finding a used one at a decent price is nigh on impossible. If there are others then I'd be interested to hear about them.

We're sticking to camping until such time as they come down in price or something else comes on the market cheaper but not the size of a shoe box

Edited by Delberthot

I would go with a diesel Octavia or Superb, nothing less. It's the weight ratio really and of course the engine grunt for towing.

I've spent many years towing various size caravans, wouldn't have gone with anything less than something like a VX Omega diesel for the size weight etc.

The Rapid isn't a towcar in my opinion.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

Agreed - Rapid is not an ideal towing car. Octy, Superb or Yeti are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I have the 1.4 TSI and DSG gearbox and there is a lot of grunt at low revs, and i would think that it is capable to tow?

Not that i have ever towed a caravan, but retire later this year and its an option (i hope) wife wants motorhome i want caravan IMO more practical and cost effective???

Debate and ideas welcome ;<)

I have the 1.4 TSI and DSG gearbox and there is a lot of grunt at low revs, and i would think that it is capable to tow?

Not that i have ever towed a caravan, but retire later this year and its an option (i hope) wife wants motorhome i want caravan IMO more practical and cost effective???

Debate and ideas welcome ;<)

Been down this route, decided caravan best option. You can detach the van and go anywhere in the towcar, you can't with a motorhome, of course if it's a small one that might work.

If you buy a motorhome will it be your only mode of transport? So you may need an additional car, some even tow a small car at the rear of a motorhome for getting around when they are sited.

I eventually sold my caravan and towcar and went for a smaller everyday car before I retired. I worked out I couldn't afford it all in the end on a pension, also didn't help with a dodgy back.

turboman6680, on 12 Feb 2015 - 14:21, said:

Even solo, the Rapid seems to be affected by side winds quite a bit so i'm a little sceptical......

How are your tyre pressures and geometry?  In a year of driving it I cant think I've ever noticed a crosswind issue.

The Octavia 1.2TSi was voted best tow car £16-20000 last year.

The Rapid is going to be lighter which means getting a lighter caravan to keep it under the 85% but the engine is clearly capable of towing. Given that it is lighter than the Octavia it should be better as the engine doesn't have to pull along as heavy a heavy car in the first place(?)

This is purely from information that I have gathered on the net and real world situations may be different but until someone with a Rapid who has a caravan comes along then we can only speculate.

Edited by Delberthot

Happy days, about 5 years ago.

The Omega TD estate had some grunt with a BMW 6 cylinder lump under the bonnet, It also had a chipped ECU for improved economy, not that it gave it but the extra power was nice.

IMG_1227.jpg

Edited by MickA

wire, on 13 Feb 2015 - 08:25, said:

LMAO !

I know all about aero instability. Once had a 1.6 Sierra up to 126 coming down a 1300' gradient into Inverness from the south - and when the side winds hit the bloody thing needed all of both lanes on my side of the dual carriageway. :peek:

• Like 1

I know all about aero instability. Once had a 1.6 Sierra up to 126 coming down a 1300' gradient into Inverness from the south - and when the side winds hit the bloody thing needed all of both lanes on my side of the dual carriageway. :peek:

Squeaky bum time!!

• 2 months later...

Guess it depends what you want  to tow, I've had caravans, folding campers, trailer tents and simple camping trailers.

Completely agree with 85% maximum towing limit, and it may be better to consider a lower limit on a Rapid.

IMHO a diesel + manual gearbox would always work better than petrol + DSG/auto, but everyone to their own.

I have towed extensively with an Octavia 2.0 TDI CR, and it was excellent, but my current Spaceback 1.6 TDI CR is a great tow car for braked low weight units.

In my case, my wife and I love our little retro Eriba Puck (600 kg).

A few pictures:

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/nignb/slideshow/Spaceback%20Tow%20Car

(Click & wait, depending on your internet connection)

Edited by NigNB

Thinking about whether to use the Octavia vRS ot Rapid Sport to tow our van.  The current van is too heay for the Rapid (if i'm reading in to it correctly) but we may be down sizing anyway.

How does it cope?  Even solo, the Rapid seems to be affected by side winds quite a bit so i'm a little sceptical......

Can you help please?

Cheers, David

They are all affected by side winds due to the HUuuuuuuuuuGE gap between the wheel arch and the wheel.

Since lowering mine, it handles 100% better in medium to harsh windy conditions

• Like 1

You should try 110mph on a windy day [emoji15][emoji15]

When I drove on my private test track it was hair raising [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats quite a turn of speed for the Bournemouth Asda rooftop carpark :D

• Like 1

Stormchaser, on 16 May 2015 - 03:33, said:Stormchaser, on 16 May 2015 - 03:33, said:

Agree it can be quite scary at high speeds but since lowering its greatly reduced [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant say i've ever noticed - but since it's never been over 77mph on GPS how would I know???

I'm amazed you haven't traded your lemon yet TBH.

Edited by camelspyyder

• 3 weeks later...

Pic of my spaceback 1.6 5speed with Bailey Ranger 460/2

Getting nose weight low enough is the hardest. A lot of stuff goes in the bathroom.

Just back from Perth were avg showed 33mpg going and 28 coming back in very strong wind. 00503155c1ee0d766acb49f70ce45982.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1