Wheels

Gongoadin

Hi I don't know if this has been spoken about already as I am new on here I have a Fabia Monte Carlo black edition with 17inch alloy wheels what size of wheels can I use 15inch or16inch for winter tyres with out any problems with speedo or gearing or will I have to stick with 17inch

Really still,?  UK Insurance Underwriter still objecting to fitting the correct tyres for the weather conditions.

If you ask to talk to a Supervisor and for them to give the reasons in writing you usually find it is Call handlers that are clueless.

Wheels being changed, that they might be right to be concerned about if they make more desirable for theft,

but tyres used to improve safety being an issue had ended i thought.

Edited by goneoffSKi

as long as the wheels fit they don't care, what they would do in the even of an accident is only replace like for like, you wouldn't get a new set of standard 17" if your winters were 15" etc

the last time i tried to inform aviva they just said we don't need to know, as long as the wheels are road legal and the correct fitment for the car its nothing to do with them as i originally had alloys on therefore cosmetically there's no change

• 1 month later...

Didn't want to start a new thread and hoped someone on here might help, George, I've got 205/40/17 at present. I want to put some federal rsr on but I can only find 215/45/17 will these go on my existing rims? Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Didn't want to start a new thread and hoped someone on here might help, George, I've got 205/40/17 at present. I want to put some federal rsr on but I can only find 215/45/17 will these go on my existing rims? Cheers

The guys fitting the federal rsr's on the stock 17" rims I thing are generally fitting 215/40/17 I have a set ready to fit after suspension mods. Here's a link to my tyres http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=59178172.110.17613&sowigan=So&Breite=215&Quer=40&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=Federal&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Federal&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=F-E-72-3&details=Ordern&typ=R-248197

• Like 2

Thanks. That's a really good price. I read the description and it says that although the tyre is e approved it is not intended for use on roads. I understand they are primarily a track day tyre and my car will never go on a track as it is only a 1.2tsi and as such would never even test these tyres limits, am I wasting my money and would I be better with something like rain sports for my beloved Scottish Highlands weather?

• Like 1

Good thinking.

Or if you need all Seasons maybe the new Michelin 'Cross Climate' tyres are worth a try.

I am really liking my £50 'HiFly' in 215/40 R 17. 

Good & appropriate Speed / load rating,

and they are proving not to be ditch finders in the wet / cold, plus there is some rim protection with them.

Snowy and Icy weather coming this week, so not really 'Federals' Weather,

but Summers that work OK in the Cold / Wet / Light Snow will do just fine.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Thanks. That's a really good price. I read the description and it says that although the tyre is e approved it is not intended for use on roads. I understand they are primarily a track day tyre and my car will never go on a track as it is only a 1.2tsi and as such would never even test these tyres limits, am I wasting my money and would I be better with something like rain sports for my beloved Scottish Highlands weather?

If you think that's a good price, then I wont tell you I only paid £67.70 each including delivery from the same web site in January

Yeah, the federal's do seem to fluctuate in price quite a bit between winter and summer, I bought before I actually need them because price hit rock bottom, the next day I looked they had gone up 10 pence and they slowly been rising ever since.

Or if you need all Seasons maybe the new Michelin 'Cross Climate' tyres are worth a try.

Have read an article recently on this new tyre but I didn't see either a 205/40 or 215/40 17" being mentioned in the tyre availability list given. Shame could do with an all season tyre to fit the VAG group larger rim sizes now often found as factory standard on Skoda's .

TP

Someone that is finding the 205/40 R17 Profile tyres not suitable really for the roads they drive and that are considering going to 16"

wheels might take that opportunity to go to the 'Cross Climate' tyres,

or maybe if they already have Winters on wheels that they only fit in winter, put these tyres on that wheels and run all year.

What was the dealer unhappy about, we're the tyres not the correct speed or load rating or was it the wheels, or did they just not have a clue?

It was a one off my car going into Skoda, as they were my winter wheels also, just said that they weren't the correct size for my car..