high beams to low

fuzzz

Hi.

just bought new superb combi 1.8TSI with bixenons...but halogen highbeams are too low.

does anybody know where can I adjust these halo highbeams...maybe someone has a picture about this. Doesnt want to svrew up and try randomly any screws ...

regards

gert

It won't be a fault Fuzz it's simply the Xenons are that good they give better light than the H7's ever could, even if you adjuest them I doubt you'll see any benefit as such, plus you risk failing the MOT later if they are too high.

the problem is, halo haighbeams makes the road too white in front of the car, its hard too see things at long distance....thats why I asked about adjusting:)

The lights being set too low is a common problem on the Xenons. This can't be manually adjusted as the system is self adjusting based on the load on the suspension (There are position sensors on the suspension arms to make sure the lights stay at their set angle when the car is fully loaded/towing). This is a dealer/VCDS adjustment.

One of the first things I had to do on buying my car was get this sorted as the dipped beams were barely lighting 30 m in front of me. Setting them to -1 or -0.5 degrees from level keeps them legal (Mine passed the Irish NCT on this anyway - also interesting that the guy doing the test leaned on the wings to move the suspension to make sure the automatic levelling was working too, so cars will now be failed for aftermarket Xenons without automatic levelling in Ireland) and lights the road ahead properly.

• Like 1

The lights being set too low is a common problem on the Xenons. This can't be manually adjusted as the system is self adjusting based on the load on the suspension (There are position sensors on the suspension arms to make sure the lights stay at their set angle when the car is fully loaded/towing). This is a dealer/VCDS adjustment.

One of the first things I had to do on buying my car was get this sorted as the dipped beams were barely lighting 30 m in front of me. Setting them to -1 or -0.5 degrees from level keeps them legal (Mine passed the Irish NCT on this anyway - also interesting that the guy doing the test leaned on the wings to move the suspension to make sure the automatic levelling was working too, so cars will now be failed for aftermarket Xenons without automatic levelling in Ireland) and lights the road ahead properly.

xenon dipped beam and highbeam are ok but halogen reflector itself shows too close on the road , I had 2008 passat with bixenons+halo highs and I adjusted only the halos a bit higher under the bonnet...but I`m not sure which srcew is for halogen highbeams:)

Any specific instructions? I always wandered the low beam is really low.

low beam is VCD adjustment but highbeam in my opinion is not...weekend is coming...so I'll dive under my superb bonnet ;)

On the bi-xenons the high beam is the same bulb as the low beam - a shutter moves over the lens to block the high part of the beam while it's on low beam. There's a halogen bulb used for flashing the lights (Pulling the light stalk towards you) when the xenon is off though. This is because turning xenon bulbs on and off over a short time period dramatically shortens their life (And is a technically difficult thing to do - a lot of the work done in getting gas discharge bulbs into cars was dealing with the very slow restart times).

The low beam angle is the VCDS adjustment - high beam isn't, so fuzzz is correct here. The high beam should light up everywhere, while the low beam doesn't light above the top of the headlights.

Edited by psycholist

On the bi-xenons the high beam is the same bulb as the low beam - a shutter moves over the lens to block the high part of the beam while it's on low beam. There's a halogen bulb used for flashing the lights (Pulling the light stalk towards you) when the xenon is off though. This is because turning xenon bulbs on and off over a short time period dramatically shortens their life (And is a technically difficult thing to do - a lot of the work done in getting gas discharge bulbs into cars was dealing with the very slow restart times).

The low beam angle is the VCDS adjustment - high beam isn't, so fuzzz is correct here. The high beam should light up everywhere, while the low beam doesn't light above the top of the headlights.

You mate...are absolutely right☺ ... I see the srews on the headlight unit...maybe I have to ask from my dealer...maybe not...but anyway dont wanna mess with srews if I dont know which one is the right one. Once the Nissan dealer aimed my qashqai factory aimed lights and after that I spent many hours and lots of kilometers to aim them correctly. I know myself and I'm sure I will try to aim a bit...so we'll see.

but anobody who have knowledge about this please feel free to share your knowledge with us:)

On the bixenon dipped beam the adjustment is all VCDS unless something is broken/misassembled in the headlight unit itself. The best way to check what the screws on the back of the lights do is to turn the lights on while facing a wall and turn them. Just remember how far and in what direction you went so you can reset it if needed.

I had my dealer adjust this directly after buying my car, so I haven't needed to do it myself. I've no idea how the first owner had it for 3 years without ever thinking the lights were crap though... 

• 1 month later...

So...a little update to my highbeam problem.

I found out the higher screw is for up/down adjustment and the lower screw is for side to side adjustment. So I turned the higher screw and halogen highbeam is magically moved up and down... oooh I  was happy. But when I turned the xenons on,  the dipped beam was also raised ....something strange is going on...

I was clever and marked the screws and counted the rounds. My old passat B5.5 had a halo haighbeams too low  when I did the aligmnet through screws everything was ok...but if I remember correctly there were three adjustment screws...

I dont want dealer to adjust my headlights, once the Nissan dealer adjusted my Qashqai headlights and messed up...

Or do I still have to adjust via VCDS?

Does the VCDS adjustment moves headlights to factory position both in vertical and horizontal level or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Headlight beam after the adjustment (dealer)

http://static4.album.ee/files/1165/85/orig_29146491_uRRn.jpg

and after..did it myself

http://album.ee/node/29147191/50352017

preciated if anybody takes.a picture of bixenon beam pattern and post here..

how close the two beams must be on each other?

Edited by fuzzz

When I got my R36 which has bi zenons the lights were way too low . A mate with vag com re adapted and they were fine , then at mot independent this time tester said near side is 2 mm out so adjusted free of charge . My lights are bang on now and dealer had passed as ok previously , from experience I would not a just myself although easy to do a beam pattern tester makes sure it's perfect both in height and scatter

So...a little update to my highbeam problem.

I found out the higher screw is for up/down adjustment and the lower screw is for side to side adjustment. So I turned the higher screw and halogen highbeam is magically moved up and down... oooh I  was happy. But when I turned the xenons on,  the dipped beam was also raised ....something strange is going on...

I was clever and marked the screws and counted the rounds. My old passat B5.5 had a halo haighbeams too low  when I did the aligmnet through screws everything was ok...but if I remember correctly there were three adjustment screws...

I dont want dealer to adjust my headlights, once the Nissan dealer adjusted my Qashqai headlights and messed up...

Or do I still have to adjust via VCDS?

Does the VCDS adjustment moves headlights to factory position both in vertical and horizontal level or what?

You have to adjust via VCDS that changes will be stored, otherwise it will adjust to the latest settings before you adjusted manually. VCDS and xenon basic adjustment, change value to "learning" then adjust and change value in VCDS again, and now your settings will be stored. Here's a link to how it's done on gold, it's the same on the superb, including the adjusting know. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17328

You have to adjust via VCDS that changes will be stored, otherwise it will adjust to the latest settings before you adjusted manually. VCDS and xenon basic adjustment, change value to "learning" then adjust and change value in VCDS again, and now your settings will be stored. Here's a link to how it's done on gold, it's the same on the superb, including the adjusting know. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17328

thanks...next week is the Dealer time again...so they adjust beams again and both unit aswell removing the front bumper...factory poor headlight install...

I'll check this link but I'm stupid or I dont get it...adjustest the beams myself after dealer messed up...did it under the bonnet...and everytime I start the car the lights are at the same level as earlier after my aligment....

as I read from Mk6 forum that I have to do adjustment only via VCDS and this is the factory setting and no more manual adjustment?

Does the factory reset adjust vertical and horizontal level or just vertical(up and down)....

sorry guys this is new thing to me so have to learn ...

Not quite, you have to first make the possibility to adjust the headlights in vcds, then you can adjust the head lights manually. Thereafter save the settings in vcds. I did it yesterday evening and it literally takes five minutes if you have the marks for the headlights set up on a wall.

If you have troubles let me know and I will make a video.

thanks mate I'd appreciate if you make an video...

sorry for my bad english...

Greetings from Estonia