Variable Boot Floor

JanetR

Thank you for your replies. I want to raise the boot floor so that I can fit a large dog cage. The strength of the floor is an important factor. Do you think that the thinner replacement floor that comes with the Spare Wheel will be as strong as the Variable Boot Floor. I don't need the storage underneath the floor and I wouldn't be able to access it anyway! JanetR

I don't think the floor that comes with the spare wheel is anything like as strong as the variable floor. However you will probably need to raise the floor so that you can open the cage doors without them hitting the lip and this space is best filled with a spare. My dog cage has a floor built into it which will spread the load of most dogs. I don't think the standard floor would last with a large dog jumping in and out as its only 5mm hardboard supported on expanded polystyrene

This is a revived thread.... the poster who revived it does not mention dogs or cages,  hence my reply.  I have recently fitted a complete spare wheel kit to my {2WD) Yeti,  and its a "proper job",  giving a very solid feeling floor despite its thinness...it is very well supported by the polystyrene boxes and the spare wheel,  and would,  I'm sure, be perfectly adequate for all normal uses,  (including dogs and dog cages).  However,  I concede that it is not as solid as the variable floor,  which has to be stronger because it is only supported at the edges.  The downside of the variable floor is that there is still not room for a spare wheel.

Going back to the original point, I would never, from choice, drive without a spare wheel. My wife's Yeti,specced by me, has the spare wheel option and mine, which left the factory yesterday, will also have one.

Whether gloop works, or can be repaired is irrelevant when you are in a dark place with a wrecked tyre!

• Like 1

Note that whilst it is a space saver, it's still a 195/60R16, so it's a particularly skinny little tyre, but just a little smaller than the original tyres

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

soooooo is it really skinny ??......ie whats the difference in width (side to side) of a tyre on the car at the mo, a 'full size' tyre and a 'space saver' ??????

soooooo is it really skinny ??......ie whats the difference in width (side to side) of a tyre on the car at the mo, a 'full size' tyre and a 'space saver' ??????

No it isn't really skinny.

As has been said it is a 195/60r16 compared to the standard 225/55r17.

About an inch narrower.

Skinny ones are 125 or narrower (Think 2CV sized!)

• Like 1

As folk have now pointed out, the space saver spare is almost the same size as the original, and that's what I intended to put in my original post.

I've corrected that now 

The space saver tyre......is it always a 'Continental' tyre ??

Is the only reason Skoda sells the space saver tyre is because it fits 'below' the edge of the boot opening.....and the extra 1" or so on a 'normal' tyre would make it be above the edge ?? and not really good.............strange how just an inch makes all the difference

Plus by having a normal tyre you wouldn't have a speed restriction..........

.............strange how just an inch makes all the difference

s'what my partner's always telling me!! :devil:  :sweat:

Ok off to the corner then , hope its tidy, last time was problematic!!

• Like 4

Just put things in the boot of the wife's Yeti? Even less able to understand now, as I reckon that, with a little thought, they could have got a full size spare in there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have recently fitted a complete spare wheel kit to my {2WD) Yeti,  and its a "proper job",  giving a very solid feeling floor despite its thinness...it is very well supported by the polystyrene boxes and the spare wheel,  and would,  I'm sure, be perfectly adequate for all normal uses,  (including dogs and dog cages).  

I have the spare wheel option and my Golden Retriever travels in the back every day and after more than two years overall I've had no problems with the floor. 

After a while I did find the side edges of the floor were tending to dip slightly where the dog sits one side or the other (she's not in a cage). The floor's not a tight fit to the wheel arches, there is a slight gap at either edge so it wasn't being supported by the full width of the polystyrene boxes. It was easily fixed by fitting a narrow strip (5mm or so) spacer between the wheel arch and the polystyrene, easing the edge of the box over to give full support. The floor now feels really solid when I push down on it.