Hyundai's new Yeti competitor: the new iX35 (néé Tucson)

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/this-is-hyundais-all-new-2016-tucson.html

Yes I said competitor...  deal with it.  Yes I know it has the same window line as all the others crossovers in this group (and perhaps even as the Yeti II will have) and they all look the same. I know.  OK so with those boring (oft repeated here) comments out of the way let's look at the car. :)

I think it looks VERY handsome inside and out. Much nicer than the current fat, bloated and hideously ugly thing.

Click on the pics they are pretty big.

2016-Hyundai-Tucson-2.jpeg

Note the shape of the wheelarches! They subtly get bigger towards the top and back.

2016-Hyundai-Tucson-3.jpeg

2016-Hyundai-Tucson-4.jpeg

2016-Hyundai-Tucson-5.jpeg

2016-Hyundai-Tucson-1.jpeg

2016-Hyundai-Tucson-6.jpg

• Like 3

Dont like the front, side looks the same apart from cladding round the arches , back looks not too dissimilar, though prefer the current rear leds , and I think the current IX35 is one of the nicest mainstream soft roaders , and I think the Yeti is  a fat, bloated and hideously ugly thing.  :happy: Should this be in http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/3-general-car-chat/

You slag my car off I slag yours off, you need to get a sense of humour, this forum is for everyone, and you say the Ix is hideous, oh well better that than Bill Oddie  

:) That is exactly why I said ETTO. Some people like bloated. Some don't. Nothing wrong with that. 

From a visual perspective I personally prefer this:

cow_sketch_by_wlodarczykmaciej-d515ag2.j

To this:

di89nMLie.jpeg

Though in pure meat terms the latter is of course better. :)

• Like 3

Dont like the front, side looks the same apart from cladding round the arches , back looks not too dissimilar, though prefer the current rear leds , and I think the current IX35 is one of the nicest mainstream soft roaders , and I think the Yeti is  a fat, bloated and hideously ugly thing.  :happy: Should this be in http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/3-general-car-chat/

If you don't like where this thread is then report it.

The button is down the bottom on the right.

However, there have been lots of these "competitor to the Yeti" threads in the past on here and none have been moved, because they appear to be "YETI SPECIFIC".

I presume you have an R36; you probably wouldn't like my opinion of that!

Oh and I forgot to mention the iX35 name is no more as well. This will now be called the Tucson again in all markets. Makes sense to me since the big brother to this is the Santa Fe (and it is not called the iX50 or something). So I wonder what they will call the baby iX25 when that gets launched? Some other American city? The Hyundai Austin? :) Though perhaps not that one.

No micro-engines either!!!

"A 1.6-litre petrol engine is available in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged forms, producing 133bhp and 174bhp respectively.  The diesel line-up kicks off with a 1.7-litre unit with 113bhp and also includes two versions of the firm's 2.0-litre powerplant, available in a choice of 134bhp and 181bhp forms."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/2015-hyundai-tucson-revealed

Untitled-2.jpg

Also a decent DSG twin clutch auto and no CVT nonsense. Poor Nissan X-trail. No one will buy you now with your awful CVT "gearbox" and micro-engines. Only things missing so far (for me to consider a Tucson) is a sunroof that can open and adaptive cruise control.

EDIT: on this photo it looks to me as if there is a sunroof and as if it can open.

tuscan-3du3-ac-web-004.jpg?itok=W06X9G6A

More pics here:

http://www.autobild.de/bilder/hyundai-tucson-autosalon-genf-2015-sitzprobe-5602309.html#bild1

With a man next to it for scale, it looks a LOT smaller than the first pics suggested (but then this could be a 6'8" German man):

Hyundai-Tucson-Autosalon-Genf-2015-Sitzp

I suspect that front will work better with some colours than others.

The "Champagne Rose Pink" in the car above to be avoided for sure.

Oooer, missed this one! The current ix35 is a pretty dire drive tbh and always reminds me of a bloated whale when I see one drive by. However, Im quite a fan of the Santa Fe (having driven one for many thousands of miles over a three and a half week period in the US in 2013), particularly its styling so its nice to see this scaled down effort. I thought the Santa Fe was a little bit of a white good vehicle - did everything ok but nothing very well. One thing of note was the exceptionally good audio system but I think that was a US spec thing. Totally agree with Dr Zoidberg above - the limited range and fairly outdated engines are where Hyundai suffer currently so nice to read there's new options on the way. I like that quite a lot. :)

• Like 1

Totally agree with Dr Zoidberg above - the limited range and fairly outdated engines are where Hyundai suffer currently so nice to read there's new options on the way. I like that quite a lot. :)

The Yeti's engine range is surely as antiquated at the moment? No stop start. No cylinder deactivation... So going for a Tucson over a Yeti surely can't be worse.

The Yeti's engine range is surely as antiquated at the moment? No stop start. No cylinder deactivation... So going for a Tucson over a Yeti surely can't be worse.

Absolutely. The yeti didn't feature in my shortlist last time because of the engines. The emissions are too high to make sense as a company car where the BIK rates are too high, or as a personal one where it's too pricey to tax.

I like the front, I am ambivalent to the rear, but the arches, they look like they were crayoned on by a child. "Oooh I drew the wheels too low, I know I'll just crayon this big black line, there, sorted". Then the body man realised the arches were too wide so he beat them flat with a BFH. It's trying too hard.

Its interesting that they're offering a petrol engine that isn't just a tiny little thing to potter about town with. That was one of the major things that stopped me getting a Yeti.

I can't say the looks are that great, just looks like a mini Santa Fe which I think is quite ugly with the whale mouth grill. I prefer the Sorento and I expect Kia's badge engineered version of this will look much nicer.

Nothing about LOA or turning circle or over the shoulder vision or seat adaptability or on-centre steering feel.

Fashion seems to count a lot these days as in jewellery/bling.

I'm just a GOM.

agreed, its not been updated as it should have IMO and buying now id possibly choice differently... Mainly due to the current engines. However, the i30 and i40s didn't even have anything bigger than 1.7l capacity when I last looked at them.